Would you trade seasons with Arkansas?

7,615 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Faustus
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They finished 40-25, 5th in the SEC (3rd in the west behind us), didn't host a regional, hosted a super, and went 0-2 in Omaha.

We finished 50-14, 3rd in the SEC (2nd in the west behind LSU), hosted a regional, didn't host a super, and missed Omaha by a run.
aggiewilliford
Yes, I would have loved 2 more games. It hurts just watching the CWS, it really hurts.
agforlife97
AG
yes
lightningcat12
Yes
Post removed:
by user
6-4-3
AG
Yes.
W
AG
yes, by a whisker.

An overall 40-25 season record leaves quite a bit to be desired
Farmer1906
AG
I ask(Ed) seriously. We had some good times. 24-0 was fun as hell. Winning the MMC was strong. We went deeper in the SECT. Ark started 15-15. They finished strong, yes, their seasons had its low points too including getting swept in the biggest stage. I see both sides and at first blush you always take Omaha, but I think at least give them a run.
TXAggie2011
AG
The College World Series always sticks out on the resume and that's the ultimate goal...so maybe Arkansas.

Although, honestly, I do find when I go back and look at records of teams and coaches from the past, that I do notice the rest of the resume.

I guess maybe I'd take Arkansas' season, but I'd definitely take A&M's team. If that makes sense.
ftworthag02
AG
Van horn has taken them to Omaha 4 times in 12yrs
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Van horn has taken them to Omaha 4 times in 12yrs
And 2 at Nebraska. He is one hell of a coach.
JeffHamilton82
I would take ours. The 1 more SR win isn't worth 10 less wins and 11 more losses. If they had won a game in Omaha then it would be close and 2 wins then definately them. And great question OP
JeffHamilton82
My wife (hog fan) and my son both would take A&M's season.
Arkansas Ag
I would have enjoyed having Arkansas' regional and super regional matchups. But I wouldn't trade seasons.
_mpaul
AG
It's a wash. Now ask me if I would trade coaches with them.
jja79
AG
Seasons and coaches.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Yes, I would absolutely trade. The ultimate prize every season is a trip to Omaha. They got one...we didn't. Not saying our season was a failure, we had a very good year with lots of exciting times. But...once again...we found a way to come up short of the big enchilada.

The wins over Holy Cross and Penn State and Baylor and SFA and Tennessee were nice...but I'd give them all back for the chance to have watched the Ags at the CWS over the past pew days.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Sandman98
AG
If we had played a first half like Arkansas did many on this board would have done everything in their power to have RC fired mid season. Had we made a charge and got to Omaha, the same people would come out of hiding after two quick losses saying they told us so.

If we had their Super Regional draw we would be in Omaha. I would trade for their circumstances, not their season.
DWren
People saying they wouldn't trade are dumb.

They made the CWS .. That is every teams number one goal.

We didn't win a conference title or a conference tournament title. Didn't win anything worthy of hanging a banner or putting on the outfield wall so to speak.
CWS is..nothing we did is.

Getting to the CWS is a huge accomplishment, a measuring stick, a selling point.
It will be recognized by the school as an accomplishment.

100% I would trade a season in which team I was trading with went to the CWS and we didn't. It's not even a question.
Rocco S
RC proved more to me (in a good way) by winning 50 and losing game 3 of a SR than winning 40 and going 0-2 in Omaha.
JeffHamilton82
quote:
People saying they wouldn't trade are dumb.

They made the CWS .. That is every teams number one goal.

The #1 goal is to win the CWS.
jkag89
No. The entire ride of the season needs to be considered and 0-2 in Omaha is not enough to override A&M's season IMO. My answer might have been different if we had enjoyed more seasons like this one recently.
sharpdressedman
Yes. The standard of excellence in college BB is getting to Omaha. They did and we didn't.
TempleAg97
AG
Yes, I would trade without a doubt. I llive a four hour round trip away from Olsen and saw 14 games at Olsen, 3 at Minute Maid, and 2 at TCU and had as much fun this year with the power resurgence, winning streak, bubbles, etc as I've had in a long time.

However, the ultimate goal in college baseball is Omaha. One more hit. A different third baseman. One less injury. And even with two and BBQ, I'd have spent the last several days at the holy grail of college baseball watching my beloved Ags.

The Ags went 0-2 at the CWS in 2011 and getting to be there with my sons was very close to the greatest experience of my life.
jt16
AG
Is this a joke? Getting to the CWS is a stat everyone talks about. Getting to game three of the supers isn't on anybody's radar.
LeFraud
Only on texags is winning the cotton bowl better than losing a bcs bowl
Or is making the sweet 16 as a #3 seed better than making the final four
Or is winning 50 games better than making the cws

Where's that list of delusional fan bases?
TwoTimeAg
AG
This thread is a perfect example of how our expectations have been managed for years.
HECUBUS
AG
No. I am dumb. I got to take the kids to game 21 and they will remember this season like I remember '89. I hope my son gets to play for a coach like RC.
jkag89
quote:
Is this a joke? Getting to the CWS is a stat everyone talks about. Getting to game three of the supers isn't on anybody's radar.
Some of us enjoy the entire ride of the season, not just the base line results. Maybe I'd feel different if the things were reversed, the Aggies never had a season quite like the Hogs experienced this year. The closest might be the '95 season where they scuffled about for more then half the season and had a nice run late falling one game short of Omaha. However if that team happened to the CWS and went 0-2, I doubt I would remember it as fondly as other teams that fell a little short of Omaha.
merc
AG
Yes. The goal is Omaha. Our coach even says as much each year. Of course I think if our AD wasn't an empty suit we would not have ended up with the path we did compared to theirs. That was a damn joke.
Rocco S
quote:
RC proved more to me (in a good way) by winning 50 and losing game 3 of a SR than winning 40 and going 0-2 in Omaha.
I meant to add, while I'd rather get to Omaha than not, I think if you're just taking an objective look at it, 50 wins and a top 5 RPI tells you more about the quality of team you had than what Arkansas did. They got a lucky draw with the Stillwater regional, where they only had to beat OSU once, then got their SR at home vs Missouri State. We'd have made Omaha as well in that situation. I also think we'd have been in Omaha if not for the epic NCST collapse vs TCU. Playing at home for the SR round is such a huge advantage.

Sure, as a baseball fan, it's Omaha or bust, and it's not at all wrong to rather have their season.

RC seemingly can't catch a break in the post season, either from the selection committee or from someone knocking off the national seed he's paired with. That's not his fault. What is his fault is letting his national seed quality teams fall just short of getting one, and his inability to beat in state teams in the post season. I don't know what it is, whether it be Rice, tu, or TCU, but they always seem to want to beat us more than we want to beat them. I know that's not true, it's just the feeling I get watching the games. We seem to play tight, they seem to play loose. We seem to play not to lose, they seem to play to win. I don't know what it is, but I never felt we were going to win that game 3 of the SR after I saw us leave so many on base early in the game.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Only on texags is winning the cotton bowl better than losing a bcs bowl
Or is making the sweet 16 as a #3 seed better than making the final four
Or is winning 50 games better than making the cws

Where's that list of delusional fan bases?
Clearly your are missing the point. You wouldn't ever make a BCS bowl over a team in your division that has a worse record and Omaha has 8 teams, not 4. May want to work on your comparisons, bud.
twk
AG
I don't think there is a clear answer to this. 2 and Q at Omaha after a gift run through the regional and super is a good year, but is it a great one? I sort of think it depends on what happens next. Tech and t.u. got gifted relatively easy paths to Omaha last year and look what they had this year. It makes those Omaha trips look like a fluke.

If we end up building on the progress we saw this year, and make it to Omaha next year, then I think we'll look back at 2015 differently than we would if we take a step back next year. The 1989 season was a great season for Aggie baseball--yes, it ended in disappointment, but it set the stage for a good run through the '90s. The same could be true for 2015, if it sets the stage for us to step up to the top echelon of the SEC and, ultimately, start being a factor at Omaha. Only time will tell.
dixichkn
AG
Absolutely. The team itself, no. But the results.......you betcha
Farmer1906
AG
For those who say Ark because of Omaha what if we went say 54-12 (26-3), won the SEC, received a #2 national seed, but went 0-2 in the supers. Does that change anything?
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.