Who Pitches Friday?

11,289 Views | 150 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by W
Bondag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tuesday guy vs. Texas Southern please. Need to sweep through to have a good shot.
Aston04
AG
Childress will "play it safe "and blow our wad.
Sex Panther
AG
Nau could pitch against TSU and we'd still win
gougler08
AG
RC better not pitch Long or Kent...throw Martin/Simonds/Hill/etc. We need Long and Kent for CC and their hitters
TempleAg97
AG
Enough with the Childress bashing. 45-11. Undefeated nonconference. A&M is clearly top 8.

As far as pitching Friday, gotta be Kent this time I think.
AB2
AG
I'd start Kent.
TempleAg97
AG
Do NOT disrespect an opponent. I've been at every regional for 20 years. Ask Rice about disrespecting a #4 and how that worked out for them the year Ruggiano hit the grand slam for us.
Sean98
AG
quote:
I'd start Kent.
I like this.
BQ_90
AG
Go with Kent, hope we can pull him early with a big lead
jkag89
quote:
Nau could pitch against TSU and we'd still win
The 2004 Rice team might beg to differ, but that being said I would go with Kent.
gougler08
AG
I'd be ok with Kent, but with the severe drop off in starting pitching we have seen after Long and Kent the back half of the year, I'd ro the dice against a very poor TSU team
W
AG
Kent is the answer in part because he has the potential to throw a complete game
bullard21k
AG
quote:
Do NOT disrespect an opponent. I've been at every regional for 20 years. Ask Rice about disrespecting a #4 and how that worked out for them the year Ruggiano hit the grand slam for us.

That's one example from 11 years ago. And rice didn't disrespect anybody.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
quote:

I agree, but there's a difference between disrespecting an opponent and playing the odds and putting your team in the best position to advance. We need the top guys on the back end of the weekend.
West Texan
AG
I'd start Larkins and have him on a short leash with Simonds ready to come in. Save Long and Kent for the next two games.
trouble
AG
I start Kent and hope we can pull him early.
Bondag
AG
We went undefeated in Non Conference with Martin, Hill, Simpnds, etc. that has to worth something.
JeffHamilton82
Stubblefield
MC Aggie
AG
you throw your normal friday guy and hope you can build a lead big enough to take him out, and be ready to go monday if you have to.

you can't afford to get in losers bracket that early with our pitching.

you always worry about the game you are playing. you can't think about the next game in tournament play.

it bites teams in the ass every year.
NJaggie
AG
Hendrix!
DWren
Every year it seems a 4 seed beats a 1 seed.
If RC didn't throw Long and we somehow got beat this board would have to be shut down.

Go with Long , win game 1 and worry about game 2 after that.
tjack16
AG
Long will go Friday (I think they already announced it on twitter) hopefully we get up by enough that we can take him out by the 4th or 5th. Could use him for limited duty in the sunday finale or if we need him monday
McGibblets
AG
Childress will start Kent, even though I'd like to save him and Long for games 2 and 3
twk
AG
quote:
you throw your normal friday guy and hope you can build a lead big enough to take him out, and be ready to go monday if you have to.

you can't afford to get in losers bracket that early with our pitching.

you always worry about the game you are playing. you can't think about the next game in tournament play.

it bites teams in the ass every year.

Thinking that long is going to have anything left in the tank after his initial start is ludicrous. He's not efficient at all. He's only going to pitch once in the tournament, so you better make it count. I would start Matt can't in game one, and if we get out to a lead, turn it over to the bullpen.
Postal
AG
Seriously, why the cooling on Hendrix? He might have had a couple of bad innings, but is he struggling that much?

I don't follow every inning if every pitcher, so I might have missed something about him being hurt, but we need starting pitching right now.
gougler08
AG
quote:
Long will go Friday (I think they already announced it on twitter) hopefully we get up by enough that we can take him out by the 4th or 5th. Could use him for limited duty in the sunday finale or if we need him monday

I haven't seen this anywhere and long throws so many pitches that he is only available once a weekend
BTHOthatguy
Save Long and Kent. Gotta win 2 more after game 1 either way.
Science Denier
AG
If we lose our first game, it's because our entire team played like ****. Hem, even if our entire team played like ****, we'd win, even if we don't start our ace.
bullard21k
AG
We know Childress will play this normal and throw long but I really think this is a 4 seed we should consider throwing someone else.

Start Kent....bang out 6-8 runs in the first few innings and pull him. Piece together the rest of the game with the bullpen.

Throw long against cal/charleston winner.

Then you have all hands on deck including Kent, Vinson, Simmonds, Hendrix, eckert and stubby for the final game or two
Wall St. Ag
AG
Why do we do this to ourselves.... Long is #1, Kent#2, Vinson +committee is #3. The presser after Vandy#2 said it all... He thinks that's the best rotation right now. Childress can defend not getting through because of pitching depth, he CANNOT defend going down with 9-0 Long on the bench.
Postal
AG
It's Coastal not Charleston
LC Wannabe
S
I would go with Simmonds on Friday, Long Saturday, and Kent to win it on Sunday. I realize that you take a chance going with Simmonds on Friday, but A&M is offensive enough to overcome just an "ok" start from him. I realize 4 seeds have knocked off 1 seeds in the past, but that is not the norm.

Win with Simmonds and you're set for the weekend.
MC Aggie
AG
twk, if they tourney got to monday, its despiration mode for both teams, i didn't mean long would be able to go a whole game, but if you limit his pitches friday, then he could throw a few innings monday. this is usually the case when the games go to monday. both teams pretty much have everyone available.
W
AG
Texas Southern is not a 4-seed --- they are more like a 5-seed or 6-seed.

TSU is 0-6 vs. the top 100

just 3-11 vs. the top 200

if Kent can shut down Vandy for 9 innings...

----

also there is zero track record of Grayson's being able to come back on short rest if the Ags get to a Monday championship game. If Long starts he'll find a way to throw 100+ pitches
McInnis
AG
Texas Southern is pretty bad. A record of 26-15 against a no. 287 strength of schedule.

If the Aggies are going to get past this next weekend they need to have a pitcher other than Long and Kent step up. RC needs to decide if that's going to be Hendrix, Simonds or Vinson, and then I hope he starts them Friday. The Aggie's bats will pound whoever pitches for TSU.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.