Juiced Bats ?

5,196 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by Gone
selk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gneck you seem like you know a lot about shaving/rolling bats.
TexasRebel
AG
I take it none of you saw the bat break this season
AG_b4_birth
gneck sounds like the type that cheats in a recreational game of slow pitch softball. He seems like that guy that targets the girls in coed. He is, as Jim Rome would say, "softball guy"!
WhiteRock Horn
quote:
sorry, but Division 1 college programs have millions of dollars (we are currently spending 24 million dollars renovating olsen) and you are telling me these programs can't afford to outfit the players with wooden bats... this is a joke

Sure, when you look at the Power conferences, maybe they could afford wood bats, but do you think DBU, Oral Roberts, UT Arlington have the budget to keep their teams competitive? You would have to make a DIV 1A and 1AA where the power conferences used wood and all others used some form of composite. That would also mean that the Tuesday series would be against power conference teams.
Groosome
AG
Just to add another perspective, I remember that they started making Daylan Holt take batting practice with wooden bats instead of the aluminum bats because he was denting too many of the aluminum bats in practive situations and it was getting too expensive.
nai06
AG
quote:
Sure, when you look at the Power conferences, maybe they could afford wood bats, but do you think DBU, Oral Roberts, UT Arlington have the budget to keep their teams competitive? You

Wooden bats are $55 before any bulk discount or sponsership. I think thats pretty affordable.
GNeck72
AG_b4_birth- I do know a lot about shaving bats, but I am not "softball guy". I feel like that you are only jealous because you could never out hit me. HAHA. We had this arguement on the way home from Omaha.
AG
quote:
Wooden bats are $55 before any bulk discount or sponsership.

What kind of wood bats are you looking at? You can't just buy any old wood bat. There are still different levels of quality of the wood bats. Most decent bats start around $75. And don't bother saying you can get a good bat at academy for cheap. Those aren't good bats.
WhiteRock Horn
You could use the bats the Rangers give out with the Dr. Pepper logo on it [/roll eyes]

OnlyForNow
AG
Jesus,

how dense are some of you people. The bats that D1 college kids would play with would cost about $150.00 ON AVERAGE per bat. Each player, [lets say 17] gets 5 bats. (Major league bats last about a month in use so this is a VERY conservative estimate and gives us one or two broken bats per season). You would not be able to buy this bat at Ohsman's or Academy; maybe through East Bay or Barcelona Sports but it's gonna be pricey and a special item.

$12,750 would be the total.

Now let's say those are only the bats for games, you order another 5 bats per person for batting practice... and more than likely they'll use the same type bat to be able to perfect their swing with the correct weighted bat and feel.

So there is another $12,750.

So conservative total is $26,000.00 just for bats. As someone else pointed out, we are ONLY able to do the renovations to Olsen because of the Kruse's donation and it turned out that we couldn't do everything we had originally planned so some of it was scrapped.

A&M, tu, TTU, OU, OSU... none of them would have much problem paying the money for the bats.

Teams like Cal, DBU, OR, La-Tech, etc etc etc. TAMU-CC... might not get the funding they needed from private donors to be able to compete. So you're just going to tell the schools tough titties, buy the wooden bats or forefeit/get out?

I have to agree that free bats are much better than full cost bats.

[This message has been edited by OnlyForNow (edited 6/23/2011 1:25p).]
nai06
AG
two links that I referred to in my previous post

6 bats for $225
http://www.prairiesticks.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=11&Itemid=57

$55 each
http://shop.slugger.com/products/category/Pro+Stock/7458.0.1.1.10819.94135.19058.0.0

Im no baseball expert, thats for sure. But those prairie stick bats are used by a bunch of minor league teams(same ones that dude was traded for). Seems to me that they would be more than adaquate for college. And I could be wrong, but I was under the impression louisville slugger still made great wooden bats. At $55 each, their pro stock bats should do just fine

EDIT: it appears Viper Bats and Hoosier Bats also make some fine quality wooden bats in the $50-$65 range

[This message has been edited by nai06 (edited 6/23/2011 2:00p).]
Sex Panther
AG
nai06 I just dont understand how you and some others aren't comprehending this. Forget the affordability of wood bats vs metal...

Wood bats would cost money. The metal bats are FREE.

Baseball loses money every year. How are you going to justify a sport that already loses money, taking on an additional couple thousand dollars in expenses every year? Stop looking at it from A&M's point of view. Remember the hundreds of other programs that don't have the money that our athletic department has.

Metal bats had too much pop, that was obvious. They have fixed it now. It took a while and I'd prefer wood bats at the collegiate level, as would most pro scouts I'm sure. But I understand why they use metal.

[This message has been edited by Sex Panther (edited 6/23/2011 3:41p).]
nai06
AG
quote:
Wood bats would cost money. The metal bats are FREE.

honest question: How are the metal ones free?
Sex Panther
AG
from an earlier post of mine

quote:
Also, most teams are given bats by Easton/TPX etc. as a sponsorship deal. So the little leaguers come out and want to swing the same bat they see the Aggies and Horns using. I don't think Louisville Slugger would be jumping at the opportunity to donate hundreds of wood bats to a college team when it won't do them any good as far as a marketing tool.
jh0400
AG
quote:
honest question: How are the metal ones free?

Easton, Louisville Slugger, Nike, and DeMarini make a ton of money selling their bats to players from little league up through high school. Most of the times, these players want what they see the college guys playing with. The best marketing that these companies can do is to put their bats into the hands of college players.

nai06
AG
so if thats the case, why would you think that wooden bats wouldn't be free/sponsored.

It seems that every one of the major companies also make wooden bats. Why wouldnt they give those away either?

EDIT: I read your earlier post regarding it jh, I guess I just disagree. I think there is still incentive to give away wooden bats or to sponsor the team in that manner.

[This message has been edited by nai06 (edited 6/23/2011 6:26p).]
AggieBB
AG
quote:
so if thats the case, why would you think that wooden bats wouldn't be free/sponsored.

It seems that every one of the major companies also make wooden bats. Why wouldnt they give those away either?

Because little league and high school players rarely swing wood bats? Why would they when they can use aluminum?
AG
quote:
The advantage of using a wood bat for practice is it allows you to not have to use your high dollar metal bat and save it for games.

This isn't from the Louisville Slugger site, but every bat website selling the pro stock has that in their description of the bats. It's the same description on every site, so I'm fairly positive that Louisville Slugger put that out. Pretty sure these are just BP bats, not game-use bats. Provides a cheap second bat that will allow you to swing and develop good habits in practice without dropping a fortune on a high-priced BBCOR bat.
ags11
First off those brands you reeled off I can almost guarantee you none of our guys or any of the pros use. These guys do not use some crappy bat you found at some website for 55$. It's like with anything else you get what you pay for. Those bats would break in under 100 hits with how strong these guys are. Every bat that I've seen a legitimate player use from the age of 16 and up is at least 75$. The ones the pros use, for example the M9, which is used by many pros goes for around 80$. College kids are also not as skilled at swinging wood bats as pros are and therefore the bats would break at a much higher rate. I do not understand how youcant see this. Don't you think somebody along the line since whenever they started using metal has had this argument before. There's a reason they use metal and will keep using metal in college. And like always it's all about the $$$. I'm pretty sure the schools that are worth millions of dollars have somebody much more intelligent than any of us to run the numbers on this.
Statboy203
AG
guy just broke a bat at the handle. add to the conspiracy....
Gone
One of the Florida hitters just broke a bat!
TexasRebel
AG
this has NEVER happened before to an oSu batter in a big 12 game this spring
TAMU1990
AG
What is rolling? Is that when players run over their bats with cars? I've heard of that one before.

And it sounds like shaving is taking the end cap off and shaving the inside of the bat. Is that correct?

It's kinda funny to see a thread about juiced bats because these new bats suck.

[This message has been edited by Wendy 1990 (edited 6/25/2011 8:30a).]
Gone
I prefer the new bats to the old ones
jh0400
AG
quote:
I prefer the new bats to the old ones

I hate to say this, but I agree with Sea Bass.

GatorChomp
Classy move by the OP to accuse us of using juiced bats. There are probably other things you should be worrying about.
Ted Logan
AG

someone is a little sensitive about cheating
GatorChomp
Yeah, that's it. I'm pretty sure if your team was accused of cheating it would be a different story. Sorry, we just happen to be good.
Ted Logan
AG
I feel sorry for you. If you get worked up over what an anonymous poster says, then you really need to grow some thicker skin.
GatorChomp
What did I say to seem "worked up?" Did I say anything insulting about your program in response? I simply said that I I came over here and said something stupid like "A&M runs a dirty program" I'm pretty sure it would get some replies.
Gone
Well of course! It's an Aggie website!
GNeck72
I'm surprised that not that many people know about the whole juiced bats operation
selk
AG
GNeck so you are saying there is a whole operation?? Is it a big operation or is it just local?
jh0400
AG
I'm glad that when I played our bats didn't need help. This guy was hot enough on his own:

TXAGBQ76
AG
the wooden bat boys were offering free bats also a few years ago; the ncaa said they were going to try them for a year and see what happened; TPX and Easton filed a huge 7-8 figure lawsuit against the ncaa for breach of contract and the wooden bat idea died

for every one bad incident (i.e. injury) from a wooden bat, there a dozens for injuries from use of a non-wooden bat

go ask Jo Evans about her incident with a ball hit off an non-wooden bat... she almost died
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.