Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Queso w/Sodium Citrate

200,541 Views | 658 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by ToddyHill
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ornlu said:

Do you drain the rotel first? Or toss in with all the brine?
Apologies I am just now seeing your question to me, but Van Buren Boy does exactly what I do...drain about half the liquid out and dump it in.
Bobcat-Ag
We just bought some sodium citrate to try Sooners recipe from page one. We followed it with 8oz of cheese and 3/4 cup of water with 1 1/4 tsp of sodium citrate. The consistency was all wrong. It seemed watery and not really cheesey.

What did we do wrong? Do we just need less water or more cheese?
MichaelJ
AG
Bobcat-Ag said:

We just bought some sodium citrate to try Sooners recipe from page one. We followed it with 8oz of cheese and 3/4 cup of water with 1 1/4 tsp of sodium citrate. The consistency was all wrong. It seemed watery and not really cheesey.

I found it doesn't tighten up until after you take off the heat. Contrary to the recipe on page 1
Txmoe
AG
MichaelJ said:

Bobcat-Ag said:

I found it doesn't tighten up until after you take off the heat. Contrary to the recipe on page 1
Also, a lot of the early posts suggest that Sooner's (and others') process is some kind of mystical alchemy. Sometimes it comes out perfectly and other times it's too runny, and we just can't know why. I've found the process to be much more forgiving than what you'd think. If it's still runny after taking it off the heat, put it back on the heat and add a little more sodium citrate (1/8th tsp at a time) until it tightens up. I've never had to add more than 1/4th of a tsp to get it right and it doesn't affect the taste.
Tailgate88
AG
I'll quote myself from the previous page. Have done this recipe a half dozen times and it has not failed us yet.

Quote:

Currently on my second batch for my daughter's graduation party, hungry high schoolers are snarfing it down as fast as I can make it. Finally perfected it, and this is so simple:

1 cup liquid (water, milk, beer, some combination of them. Prob don't mix milk and beer though)
2 tsp Sodium Citrate
Bring to a simmer
Add in 4 cups of shredded cheese a generous pinch at a time, stirring constantly
Add Rotel/chopped japs/sauteed veggies/whatever strikes your fancy

Serve with good chips.

So easy.

P.S. Don't be fooled - that is plenty of cheese. It thickens up fast.
Buck Compton
AG
Made the biggest batch I've ever made today for a work event tomorrow (on the road and most people aren't from Texas so they requested queso).

Mixed a lot of cheeses just to see how it came out and it's fantastic somehow.

5 cups water
6.5 tsp sodium citrate
8 oz sharp cheddar
16 oz mild cheddar
8 oz provolone
8 oz Monterrey jack
4 oz Parmesan

Cooked as shown above, but once it was about the right consistency, I mixed in some sauteed red onions, garlic, jalapeo, and mushrooms. In a second pan I had cooked some chopped bacon and removed it. Cooked up some ground venison in that pan, drained, and added both bacon and venison to the queso as well.

Also mixed in some fresh jalapeos and tomatoes. Will top with some paprika and cilantro to serve.

There's a lot in there and it isn't a traditional queso, but it's super rich and delicious.
GIF Reactor
AG
My queso keeps turning up so bland. Great consistency, but bland. Followed the directions given. Does anyone else have this problem with the recipie? Suggestions?
Add some salt?
Austintm
Electrical_Ag said:

My queso keeps turning up so bland. Great consistency, but bland. Followed the directions given. Does anyone else have this problem with the recipie? Suggestions?
Add some cumin and a little cayenne
htxag09
AG
Or use better cheese?
Burn-It
AG
Electrical_Ag said:

I add fresh pico, taco meat and chili powder. Tastes great!
AKA 13-0
GIF Reactor
AG
Tried adding salt to no avail. Will try some better cheese and throw in some cumin and a little bit of cayenne. Thanks for the suggestions.
jcbaggie04
AG
What kind of cheese are you using? I like to make it with Monterey Jack or pepperjack cheese for the most part. Then add on whatever else you like as spices meats veggies towards the end.
GIF Reactor
AG
I've tried Pepperjack mixed with monterrey jack, and a cheddar mixed with mexican blend from HEB.
bmc13
AG
i use Monterey jack and medium to sharp cheddar, with a maltier beer as the base liquid, like an oktoberfest. i also add cumin, chili powder, and fresh chopped and slightly cooked garlic, onion, and serrano
Born Maroon
AG
A little sharp Cheddar (1/3 cup) added to the Page 1 recipe is nails.
BrokeAssAggie
Going to give this a shot this weekend
MW03
AG
CrazyRichAggie said:

Going to give this a shot this weekend

It's fool proof so long as you use a scale. Better with an immersion blender. Bonus, the immersion blender will chop the fresh cilantro you throw in there as well and save a step.
Matsui
AG
Ordered some. Will try next week!
Motis B Totis
AG
Made some yesterday and it was dang good. Used milk instead of water. Added in salsa as needed to thin out a little.
dgb99
AG
Made the mac and cheese with sharp cheddar, colby jack, and monterrey jack and my 11 year old said it was amazing and his new favorite food for whatever that's worth.

His momma (who does 95% of the cooking in the family and is damn good at it) is not too happy with this development.
dgb99
AG
Oh and I just used a whisk (no immersion blender) and it seemed to come together fine.

Hoping to try some beer cheese this weekend...
Ornlu
AG
Bump

Tailgate88
AG
Bump for Gameday!
ag88man
AG
First time trying.
If my queso is still a little "gummy" do I add more liquid, sodium citrate, or both?
Suggestions?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Bump. Thinking of trying this for the Super Bowl. Recommend?
Tailgate88
AG
ag88man said:

First time trying.
If my queso is still a little "gummy" do I add more liquid, sodium citrate, or both?
Suggestions?
Probably liquid. It will seem like you have added too much liquid because it will be really runny but it thickens up once you remove it from the heat. This is more like baking than cooking, so I recommend keeping good track of how much you are using of each ingredient and then once you nail it, stick to those exact numbers. It will vary by the type of cheese you use, and whether you use pre-shredded or shred it yourself fresh from a block.
Tailgate88
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Bump. Thinking of trying this for the Super Bowl. Recommend?
Hell yes, you'll never go back to regular queso. Read this whole thread for lots of examples of different cheese and meat and salsa combinations.
Austintm
Yep. As suggested above, it works best if you have an immersion blender. The comments above on adding spices (I use cumin, coriander and ancho powder) along with the peppers (I like roasted) and maybe a little onion (or better yet shallots) are good.
DTP02
AG
Does anyone have complaints about a slight chemical taste when using this?

I've made it a few times now and I've had some comment on it.
HTownAg98
You might be using too much. It does not take much.
MichaelJ
AG
It's taken me 4 tries - but finally got it right this year
Chipotlemonger
AG
Made it for the first time. Damn it is good!
OaklandAg06
AG
I tried making this yesterday and had a major failure. I got the cheese to melt into my milk but when I added my can of rotel, the sauce broke irreparably. Not sure if maybe I just needed more SC and or liquid? I used 8oz of cheddar, 1/2 cup of milk and a 1/2 tsp of SC.
DTP02
AG
HTownAg98 said:

You might be using too much. It does not take much.

I more or less followed the amounts on "sooner born's" post on page 1. Is that the go to proportion or do you use less?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.