Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Queso w/Sodium Citrate

199,831 Views | 658 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by ToddyHill
MichaelJ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OaklandAg06 said:

I tried making this yesterday and had a major failure. I got the cheese to melt into my milk but when I added my can of rotel, the sauce broke irreparably. Not sure if maybe I just needed more SC and or liquid? I used 8oz of cheddar, 1/2 cup of milk and a 1/2 tsp of SC.

You're not supposed to use milk - probably had too high a fat content. The sodium citrate acts as an emulsifier with water beer etc

GarlandAg2012
AG
Made it yesterday per the exact Modernist Cuisine recipe, just used half cheddar and half pepper jack instead of all pepper jack. I had previously made it on a family trip to an AirBnB where I didn't have the best tools. A few thoughts on attempt #2:

-Using a box grater results in much faster melting than just cutting the cheese into small pieces
-Beer isn't any better or different than water as far as I can perceive. Maybe I tasted it slightly?
-Using an immersion blender really does make it pretty much foolproof. I only had a whisk the first time and my emulsion was weak.
DonaldFDraper
AG
Reposting to easy access

https://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/melty-queso-dip/
htxag09
AG
I've used milk every time and never had issues.....
Bruce Almighty
AG
I did this for awhile, but lately, I've gone back the old fashioned roux based queso. It's not as easy, but I think it tastes better.
MichaelJ
AG
I also know that one of my problems has always been I don't think I was getting it hot enough and maintaining that heat during the cook and blending of the cheese - so maybe that was your problem
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
rausr
AG
Planning a test before a family reunion - thanks.
zooguy96
Ok, maybe I'm an idiot. Assuming you can't use queso fresco. Cause if you could, that would be awesome.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Sea Speed
AG
Anyone made this and have it come out completely messed up? The cheese turned in to a giant puck and separated from the water. We used a big mix of cheeses from party snack tray, so a bunch of cubes. I've made this stuff a dozen times and I have no idea why it did this. The only difference is cubed not shredded and the mix of cheeses.
Max06
AG
Did you try an immersion blender or anything once it separated?
Sea Speed
AG
No I just did what I've done so many other times amd add cheese little by little and mix it in. Wouldn't have even thought to break my immersion blender out. Just so weird.
JAG03
AG
Sea Speed said:

Anyone made this and have it come out completely messed up? The cheese turned in to a giant puck and separated from the water. We used a big mix of cheeses from party snack tray, so a bunch of cubes. I've made this stuff a dozen times and I have no idea why it did this. The only difference is cubed not shredded and the mix of cheeses.

I made it for the second time last week and measured the water and sodium citrate but didn't measure the cheese. I used a mix of leftover cheese from a cheese tray that I just cut up smaller. It didn't come together at first so I added more liquid and that didn't help then I added more cheese and it finally came together. I made it again today with grated cheese that was measured and it turned out really good. I guessing that I need to measure/know the amount of cheese I'm using or maybe it's better to use grated cheese.

Sea Speed
AG
yea i think the grated cheese might have been the issue. it was so weird. it was like mixing oil and water. melted cheese stayed at the bottom of the pot and water at the top. i poured out the water and the chesse when cooled basically turned in to a block of cheese. we used it for grilled cheese sandwiches today haha. i measured it all out though, so my ratios werent off. just odd.
normaleagle05
AG
I tried the Modernist Cuisine melting cheese slice with 170g of Roquefort yesterday. It was a cheap experiment as I went in Kroger and the deli Manager's Special corner was ~30 wedges of various blue cheeses $1-$2.50/per.

It never really set like I expected it to. I've got two more wedges of different, more firm, blues on hand. Reheat the Roquefort and add to it? Try again with a former blue? Make dressing and move on with life? What say you?

I really want melty blue slices of funk to work.
schmellba99
AG
Sea Speed said:

I have had this happen before, i fixed it by adding more sodium citrate (half a tsp maybe) and a smidge more cheese. Stir over mesium/low heat and it should reconstitute.
Sea Speed
AG
Awesome thanks I will def keep that in mind if it happens again.
B-1 83
AG
I ****ed up a roux one time and salvaged it with this. Sodium citrate is the bomb!
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
tfunk02
AG
I made homemade sodium citrate last week thanks to this thread (baking soda and citric acid). Made my queso the perfect consistency. Now I need to find the right blend of cheeses...

THANKS!
zooguy96
tfunk02 said:

I made homemade sodium citrate last week thanks to this thread (baking soda and citric acid). Made my queso the perfect consistency. Now I need to find the right blend of cheeses...

THANKS!
I use the shredded mexican blend from Walmart and add cumin, lawry's, lemon peper, garlic salt, cilantro, jalapenos, and some cooked chorizo. I usually make a whole crockpot worth, and use 24 cups of cheese (as measured by how much each bag of cheese reads), 80 oz of water, and 10 tsp of sodium citrate. This has worked well for me.. just divide if making smaller batches.
rausr
AG
Well I finally broke down and ordered some after a couple of years of less-than-optimum Mac 'n cheese Thanksgiving attempts, so I will keep you posted.

Ed: Oh my! So smooth and cheesy! Played it safe with Colby jack and sharp cheddar. Next time it's flavor time! Well worth it.
GoneGirl
AG
jh0400 said:

Is there anywhere in Houston that sells sodium citrate? I'm making mac and cheese tomorrow, and I'd like to give this a whirl in lieu of making Bechamel and adding cheese.
Don't laugh, any drugstore or HEB. Go to the OTC part of the pharmacy where the laxatives are. You'll find it there. It's used to help, well, you know what laxatives help with….
"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
Esteban du Plantier
AG
We make queso on the smoker pretty much every time I'm smoking. Always use Velveeta.

I think I'll make some of this up beforehand, chili it, cube it, and use it like Velveeta.

My typical recipe is 2 pounds Velveeta, 1 tube chorizo already rendered, one onion, some tomatoes (just solids), and some roasted poblano, jalapeno.

Put the cheese in the dish in a cross and the other ingredients in each corner.
Smoke for a while until all melty (at least an hour at 225), then add a cup of sour cream, stir, smoke a while longer.
AG N ASIA
AG
Great recipe. Thanks
Agasaurus Tex
AG
As a quick and easy addition to queso, buy the pre-made pico de gallo (spicy or mild) at HEB. Drain the amount you are going to use on paper towels and add to the queso.
Chipotlemonger
AG
We did this queso for the Super Bowl, probably our 4th or 5th time to make it overall. We always change the veggies/cheese based on if we have something on hand already or really want an add in.

It was awesome as usual!
htxag09
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

We did this queso for the Super Bowl, probably our 4th or 5th time to make it overall. We always change the veggies/cheese based on if we have something on hand already or really want an add in.

It was awesome as usual!

This is so last year. According to my Instagram, everyone knows smoked queso is the way to go now.

For real though, I love this queso and every time I make it or mac and cheese someone asks me about it
agcrock2005
AG
Holy hell, what a game changer. Not just for queso but for making American cheese for smash burgers. I put an Evo in my outdoor kitchen and make smashburgers all the time and found myself paying a premium for nasty American cheese all the time, so I googled and found a video (below) that showed how easy it is to do yourself. Took less than 10 minutes to make and once cold it's very easy to slice for sandwiches/burgers. Cheaper and way more flavorful!

Starts the American cheese recipe at 5:50 mark.

Bobcat-Ag
agcrock2005 said:

Holy hell, what a game changer. Not just for queso but for making American cheese for smash burgers. I put an Evo in my outdoor kitchen and make smashburgers all the time and found myself paying a premium for nasty American cheese all the time, so I googled and found a video (below) that showed how easy it is to do yourself. Took less than 10 minutes to make and once cold it's very easy to slice for sandwiches/burgers. Cheaper and way more flavorful!

Starts the American cheese recipe at 5:50 mark.

Do you think you could freeze the sliced cheese that he made? I like the idea of doing the work and then having the slices for a long time.
agcrock2005
AG
I'd be making stuff up if I answered this. I'm very new to this. No idea, but I hope one of the experts will chime in because I'd like to know as well.
NATE AG03
AG
Definitely trying this out. Thanks for the post. I ended up watching a handful of his videos after you posted this. Good channel.
agcrock2005
AG
NATE AG03 said:

Definitely trying this out. Thanks for the post. I ended up watching a handful of his videos after you posted this. Good channel.
Same. Beef Cheef (of Leroy & Lewis) from the TM BBQ thread told me about him. He also works at L&L. Pretty funny guy who obviously knows his stuff.
fav13andac1)c
AG
agcrock2005 said:

NATE AG03 said:

Same. Beef Cheef (of Leroy & Lewis) from the TM BBQ thread told me about him. He also works at L&L. Pretty funny guy who obviously knows his stuff.
Ever since Beef Cheek's post, I think I've watched about 30 of those videos. Pretty cool techniques.
80sGeorge
AG
Just had to post a simple version that was fantastic.

Half Pepper Jack and half smoked Gouda.

Threw in some cilantro and onions I had chopped up for tacos.

Thank y'all for all the ideas!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.