Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Queso w/Sodium Citrate

199,674 Views | 658 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by ToddyHill
heddleston
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Congrats, Texags! This thread is the #3 result for "sodium citrate queso" on DuckDuckGo.
GAC06
AG
Bobcat-Ag said:

agcrock2005 said:

Holy hell, what a game changer. Not just for queso but for making American cheese for smash burgers. I put an Evo in my outdoor kitchen and make smashburgers all the time and found myself paying a premium for nasty American cheese all the time, so I googled and found a video (below) that showed how easy it is to do yourself. Took less than 10 minutes to make and once cold it's very easy to slice for sandwiches/burgers. Cheaper and way more flavorful!

Starts the American cheese recipe at 5:50 mark.

Do you think you could freeze the sliced cheese that he made? I like the idea of doing the work and then having the slices for a long time.

The cheese I made lasted a couple weeks in the fridge. Probably could have gone longer
'03ag
Wonder the same thing. Has anyone frozen their queso?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Made this tonight. Great as always.
Txmoe
AG
I can't explain it but it always makes me happy when I see this thread get bumped.
'03ag
Chipotlemonger said:

Made this tonight. Great as always.

Last night was monterrey jack with chorizo and homemade poblano salsa
Bobcat-Ag
What other recipes besides cheese use Sodium Citrate? I've mastered the queso, and mac and cheese, but wondered what else I could try.
kithas
AG
Yes - I usually make a double batch of queso. Put it in a glass Tupperware with a few slices of pickled jalapeño on top and then straight into the freezer. Turns out great and handy to have for an impromptu taco Tuesday or when company is over for drinks.
Chipotlemonger
AG
kithas said:

Yes - I usually make a double batch of queso. Put it in a glass Tupperware with a few slices of pickled jalapeño on top and then straight into the freezer. Turns out great and handy to have for an impromptu taco Tuesday or when company is over for drinks.

This is great to know! Thanks
jcbaggie04
AG
There is absolutely nothing wrong with instant awesome Queso. Thanks for the idea.
StinkyPinky
AG
Note to self: Make some and eat it.
aglaes
AG
Earlier link for the mac & cheese recipe was broken. Not sure if anyone else attempted to fix this,,but searched for it on Modernist Cuisine and re-linked below.

Silky Smooth Macaroni and Cheese - Modernist Cuisine
jrrhouston98
AG
Finally made the queso today. Damn. It was really good. I used sharp white cheddar and pepper jack. I'll never use velveeta again.

Does this recipe double without issue?
bmc13
AG
Yes. I've made half batches and double batches and all turn out the same. The fun thing is to try different cheeses and different ratios of cheeses
La Fours
AG
It took me nearly 10 years, but I finally bought some sodium citrate and made queso.

GoAgs92
AG
Today's the day!

More excited about this than the super bowl.
GoAgs92
AG
That was almost too easy. Only downside was that I thought the cheese we had was Monterey Jack, turns out it was sharp white cheddar. Still good but packing a twang.

GoAgs92
AG
Made it again…way too runny…blah.
zooguy96
I came up with a a ratio of water : sodium citrate : cheese. It works well (got it written down at work somewhere). I usually mix 1/2 taco cheese / 1/2 Mexican cheese from Walmart (largest bag they have). Something like 2 bags of the cheese (one of each), 10 tsp sodium citrate and 64 oz water. Add more water to make thinner, or cook a little longer to thicken. I also add spices and whatever else (chorizo, etc).
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
superunknown
AG
This recent thread bump got me thinking...

So I made some mac n cheese using 1/2 pepperjack and 1/2 smoked white cheddar, smashed up a couple of links of smoked boudin from Billy's in Scott, LA. Also a can of green chilies because why hot.

It basically tastes like a pepperjack boudin ball.
nortex97
AG
Here's a related recipe for some Super Bowl nacho's with queso (caution, NSFW language):

(Double caution label; it's not good, very gross).
bmc13
AG
you should post that on the other thread!

edit: here -> https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/3438459
SpiderDude
AG
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C29-pCEuJtR/?igsh=aHRmMjFuN2w3Y3I=
Chipotlemonger
AG
Made the recipe last weekend. I always trim the water a bit and change up the cheeses. This time it was roughly 2/3 cheddar and 1/3 spicy jack. Threw in chopped up tomato and red onion. As good and easy as always!
SpiderDude
AG
SpiderDude said:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C29-pCEuJtR/?igsh=aHRmMjFuN2w3Y3I=

Wait... So lemon and baking soda have the same effect as sodium citrate?!!!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3A2vKBg6i9/?igsh=cXdqZW1uMzNhdTI0

Sea Speed
AG
Bump because I always look at this thread to remember the recipe for this delicious queso which I made tonight.
ToddyHill
AG
I had some very surprising results on my first attempt ever...which was Super Bowl Sunday.

I decided to go basic...just cheese, water, and sodium citrate.

I used aged (18 month) sharp white cheddar. Followed the recipe and came out with a velvety smooth white queso which was absolutely disgusting when I tasted it. Way too intense sharp cheddar flavor. I put it into a container, sealed it, and put it in the frig. Came back two days later and it was incredible. The melding which occurred over two days made me a believer.
zooguy96
ToddyHill said:

I had some very surprising results on my first attempt ever...which was Super Bowl Sunday.

I decided to go basic...just cheese, water, and sodium citrate.

I used aged (18 month) sharp white cheddar. Followed the recipe and came out with a velvety smooth white queso which was absolutely disgusting when I tasted it. Way too intense sharp cheddar flavor. I put it into a container, sealed it, and put it in the frig. Came back two days later and it was incredible. The melding which occurred over two days made me a believer.

Toddy, I have a recipe I use for when I sell tacos. Let me know if you want it. It tastes good.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
ToddyHill
AG
That would be great Zoo!

psoasmajorman "at" y a h o o dot com

Thanks!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.