Horn bmd says Charlie needs 8 wins in 2016

23,029 Views | 196 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by LonghornDub
Fightin Ag491
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
quote:
Haha, Charlie got one of the top QBs in the country, and that kid might start in game 1. Now, I'm not saying that the kid is going to light up the Austin skies, but if he's better than the others to start day 1, I'd say that's recruiting a needed position.
That's rich, being posted on a TexAgs message board. Kyle Allen and Kyler Murray say, "Hello."
Those two QBs have literally nothing to do with what I posted. Charlie needed a QB, so he went and got one of the best in the state of Texas. A&M needed one, and they did the same with Allen and Murray. Really confused about what's "rich" about what I posted...
aggiehawg
AG
Getting a "top QB in the country" doesn't directly translate into a great offense, is the point. Now, an outstanding one with a high football IQ and freakish athletic talent? That's a little different, if used properly.

Is Buechele that kind of guy? And if he is, can Sterlin Gilbert make the best use of him? Or get him killed behind a weak O-line?

And not to put too fine a point on it, but the way college football has changed over the last five years, expecting a QB to play every game for the entire season is asking a lot. That is especially true if the QB is dual threat and runs a lot.

Who is the back-up for Shane?
Fightin Ag491
quote:
Getting a "top QB in the country" doesn't directly translate into a great offense, is the point. Now, an outstanding one with a high football IQ and freakish athletic talent? That's a little different, if used properly.

Is Buechele that kind of guy? And if he is, can Sterlin Gilbert make the best use of him? Or get him killed behind a weak O-line?

And not to put too fine a point on it, but the way college football has changed over the last five years, expecting a QB to play every game for the entire season is asking a lot. That is especially true if the QB is dual threat and runs a lot.

I honestly don't know who the back up is, and honestly I don't care in regards to this conversation. The quote was that you don't "see the narrative that Strong is a good recruiter," and that he didn't recruit "positions in need" like QB and O-line. Literally after you said that, Strong added another O-lineman today, possibly another if fortune permits, and recruited and signed one of the nations best high school QBs of last season, i.e., recruiting and filling the positions in need
StephenvilleAg77
I almost feel sorry for Booshelle. He would be a lot better off with a redshirt year. The fact that Charlie has to start him says a ton about how bad Swoopes, Heard, Locksley and Merrick are.
Fightin Ag491
quote:
I almost feel sorry for Booshelle. He would be a lot better off with a redshirt year. The fact that Charlie has to start him says a ton about how bad Swoopes, Heard, Locksley and Merrick are.
This I actually do agree with. QBs and the handeling of QBs at Texas has been astoundingly underwhelming the past few years
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
I honestly don't know who the back up is, and honestly I don't care in regards to this conversation. The quote was that you don't "see the narrative that Strong is a good recruiter," and that he didn't recruit "positions in need" like QB and O-line. Literally after you said that, Strong added another O-lineman today, possibly another if fortune permits, and recruited and signed one of the nations best high school QBs of last season, i.e., recruiting and filling the positions in need.
And I submitted that a decent back-up QB IS a position of need these days.

You are free to disagree with that assessment, if you choose, but Urban Meyer seems to agree with me.
Junction1956
I feel for a freshman QB starting a college career. The speed of the game is going to kill him. Regardless of what well meaning parents and a coaching staff teaches. By the second quarter, most savvy DC's already have noted tendencies and adjust. Add disguising coverages and the amount of pressure brought to bear, it could quite demoralizing very quickly.

Question is how many games doe he survive?

Roll Tide
aggiehawg
AG
You get it, Junction. Of course we are both old enough to remember when Marshall had to get on bended knee and beg the NCAA to be able to even play freshmen at all after the plane crash killed nearly the entire team.

Freshmen playing at the varsity level was not allowed nor even common after it was allowed until a few decades ago.
petey88

good gosh hairy,

get a life

you've been here since yesterday, and you are a sip. Is that all some of you clowns have to do ?

Hang around here ?

Honest ? to the sip in residence ~
Fightin Ag491
quote:

good gosh hairy,

get a life

you've been here since yesterday, and you are a sip. Is that all some of you clowns have to do ?

Hang around here ?

Honest ? to the sip in residence ~
Man, I'm not even being hostile, but if I'm getting inside your head too much I guess I can excuse myself...
petey88

ah, screw it, nobody gets in my head, especially some random sip

see ya,

much later

have a good evening, sip
The Notorious A.G.G.I.E.
AG
quote:

So I started doing some light reading on a couple of other B12 boards and A&M's board. After reading through the boards and gathering a consensus about what other schools think and believe about Texas and Co., I came to one conclusion....... the empire is rising and the false kings of the lands are taking notice.
Most of these boards labor on about how Strong won't be there next year, and how these kids are going to Texas to waste their talents, or that they beat Texas with highly rated recruits before so this makes no difference. But, from their tone, it does make a difference. These fans and supporters from other schools need Texas to be down to have a chance. It's palpable, the tension that they feel that Texas and Strong have shifted the landscape back to the Horns.
These fan continue to believe that they are still in the Mack Brown era of Texas, where we stockpile talent and let that talent develop on its own by being nurtured within a cocoon of Texas love. Yet, they don't realize that Strong has gone out and recruited talent with an edge, or like some would say a "dog" mentality. Strong brings them in, Moorer put them through the grinder, and now we have the coaching staff that will mold them with precision.
They think this is the same ole Texas but they have never seen Strong with a team of "his" guys, they haven't seen Texas with a system offense, but this it what they will see. Texas now will roll out with plus ATHLETES at almost every position and athletes win games when it's played in the wide open. This is why the fans of other schools hate that for the last two years the Malik's and Warren's of the high school ranks choose Texas, and why Baylor was infuriated that Sterling is bringing Art's system to Texas. If you take a system that was created to help lesser teams play against more talented teams, and substitute more talented players in the system, you have a recipe for domination. Add in to that recipe players on Defense that can play in space because of their athletic ability and now you remove 10-13 pts off the score board, and you have the start of a new Empire.
It's here ladies and gents, the new era of Texas football. We are the dog behind the fence, we are the sleeping giant, and we are the fighter that was knocked down. But those days are over, we are rising, we slowly pulled ourselves up off the canvas and brushed away the sweat and blood from our face. We've taken the punches and now it's time to punch back, it begins on Sept. 4!
The Rise of the EMPIRE
The Notorious A.G.G.I.E.
AG
quote:
I agree 100%! As Bedford has been saying, they're going to build brick by brick.
As a fan I'm very excited! With all the talent Strong has added these last two years, we should be in prime position to start winning. I wouldn't be surprised if they exceed everyone's expectations

Not worried, got Malik
petey88

Honest question,

Where's the bus that Chollie used to roll around the state of Texas in the summers before,...did the driver get a DWI ?

StephenvilleAg77
quote:
quote:

So I started doing some light reading on a couple of other B12 boards and A&M's board. After reading through the boards and gathering a consensus about what other schools think and believe about Texas and Co., I came to one conclusion....... the empire is rising and the false kings of the lands are taking notice.
Most of these boards labor on about how Strong won't be there next year, and how these kids are going to Texas to waste their talents, or that they beat Texas with highly rated recruits before so this makes no difference. But, from their tone, it does make a difference. These fans and supporters from other schools need Texas to be down to have a chance. It's palpable, the tension that they feel that Texas and Strong have shifted the landscape back to the Horns.
These fan continue to believe that they are still in the Mack Brown era of Texas, where we stockpile talent and let that talent develop on its own by being nurtured within a cocoon of Texas love. Yet, they don't realize that Strong has gone out and recruited talent with an edge, or like some would say a "dog" mentality. Strong brings them in, Moorer put them through the grinder, and now we have the coaching staff that will mold them with precision.
They think this is the same ole Texas but they have never seen Strong with a team of "his" guys, they haven't seen Texas with a system offense, but this it what they will see. Texas now will roll out with plus ATHLETES at almost every position and athletes win games when it's played in the wide open. This is why the fans of other schools hate that for the last two years the Malik's and Warren's of the high school ranks choose Texas, and why Baylor was infuriated that Sterling is bringing Art's system to Texas. If you take a system that was created to help lesser teams play against more talented teams, and substitute more talented players in the system, you have a recipe for domination. Add in to that recipe players on Defense that can play in space because of their athletic ability and now you remove 10-13 pts off the score board, and you have the start of a new Empire.

It's here ladies and gents, the new era of Texas football.

We are the dog behind the fence, we are the sleeping giant, and we are the fighter that was knocked down. But those days are over, we are rising, we slowly pulled ourselves up off the canvas and brushed away the sweat and blood from our face. We've taken the punches and now it's time to punch back, it begins on Sept. 4!
The Rise of the EMPIRE

Think I may have busted a couple of ribs from laughing so hard.

Missy, which of your players have a dog mentality?
dreyOO
So is the T back in Texas yet? Can someone get confirmation from the f-ing idiot?
aggiehawg
AG
quote:

Honest question,

Where's the bus that Chollie used to roll around the state of Texas in the summers before,...did the driver get a DWI ?

You mean this one?

Matsui
AG
The last 2 classes are excellent. And getting these top Baylor guys is even better. Anyone disagree With that assessment?
MyComputerCareer
quote:
quote:

It's here ladies and gents, the new era of Texas football. We are the dog behind the fence, we are the sleeping giant, and we are the fighter that was knocked down. But those days are over, we are rising, we slowly pulled ourselves up off the canvas and brushed away the sweat and blood from our face. We've taken the punches and now it's time to punch back, it begins on Sept. 4!
The Rise of the EMPIRE

reads like it was pulled straight out of a Fran secret letter.
petey88
quote:
quote:

Honest question,

You mean this one?

Thanks, can't stop laughing at it, as the local news is interviewing some baylro footballer, and then quickly move on to the Lady Bares and hoops,...even the mention of Kim Mulkey has me busting out laughing,

another fine mess

sips have reached another new low, the level of baylro

Flexbone
quote:
The last 2 classes are excellent. And getting these top Baylor guys is even better. Anyone disagree With that assessment?

Yes. There are a lot of holes in reality, and they had a lot of guys not qualify or not show up. Neither class has anywhere near what you'd need to contend for the West.
ClassOf17
quote:

charlie inherited multiple top 5 classes, so?
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
quote:

The Rise of the EMPIRE

Hey Zeus H. Crisco that mother ****er must be radioactive pumping that much sunshine. This guy sounds like some damn cheesy supervillain who's gotten his ass kicked like 50 times trying to rob a bank, but THIS time he'll achieve world domination.
goodAg80
AG
quote:
The Rise of the EMPIRE

LonghornDub
UT will retain Strong through the 2018 season, going 5-7 each year. Then, in the spirit of Title 9, they will hire the very best female football coach in the world and giving her a six-year contract at $10 mil per year. It will be a surprise that this "football" coach coaches a game called soccer in the USA.
God made the country, and man made the town. William Cowper

Garrelli 5000
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

The Rise of the EMPIRE

Hey Zeus H. Crisco that mother ****er must be radioactive pumping that much sunshine. This guy sounds like some damn cheesy supervillain who's gotten his ass kicked like 50 times trying to rob a bank, but THIS time he'll achieve world domination.

It sounds like the delusion spewed for years from rapefans. The type of crap that only someone who is just now learning about football writes.
DeepEastTxAg
AG
I almost hope that have a decent season this year just so they'll keep Chollie and not go after Herman. Almost...
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
I almost hope that have a decent season this year just so they'll keep Chollie and not go after Herman. Almost...
If Herman really wants the sip job, he'll get it, whether Strong has been fired yet or not.

BUT, I've said before that Herman is kind of an odd duck. Money is not a huge motivator for him and if he likes it in CougarTown, he'll stay awhile.
Hood
AG
Meh... I think Herman would jump to Texas for $5+ million per year.
StephenvilleAg77
Today from Burton:
quote:
Does Charlie Strong's recruiting success potentially buy him more time if the Horns have less-than-expected production on the field this year?

I'm told the answer is yes. With appropriate caveats.

1. The decision makers want to see if these recruits actually live up to the hype to determine if there really is a light at the end of the tunnel. In other words, are these recruits really as good as Strong and staff are portraying them to be?

2. The decision makers want to see more points scored from the offense, at least the start of something that looks like it can and will compete nationally in due time.

In January, I would have told you that Strong probably needed to win eight to keep his job. I think that number is still a safe bet. I think Texas should win at least that many this season.

But I could see seven wins being enough if those other pieces of the puzzle are also in place.
Favorable schedule this yr for sip, with ndame, tcu (no boykin, & lost their top rb and top wr), wvu (tough at home, marshmallow on the road), and iowastate all having to play in austin.

But it tells you what sip really thinks about the current sip coaching staff when the sip fanbase and sip media view Cal as a tough game. Cal is gonna be a 4-8 team this year -- with no defense and an offense that lost its top 2 rb's, top 6 wr's, and 4 yr starter at qb.

I do wonder how Charlie's 4th "new offense" in 3 yrs will do if buechele gets "david ash-ed" into next week.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
I do wonder how Charlie's 4th "new offense" in 3 yrs will do if buechele gets "david ash-ed" into next week.
This. The lack of depth at the QB position (again) is the huge question mark. There were a ton of injuries to QBs in the Big XII (and other leagues for that matter) over the last two seasons.

And the sips have Swoopes and Heard who have endured how many scheme changes each? Especially Swoopes. Started under Mack (burned his RS in a crap game), then Watson, then Watson's HUNH (not) reboot, then Jay Norvell and now Sterlin Gilbert. Heard through both iterations of Watson, then Norvell and now Gilbert.

They may have been moved to other positions at the moment, but the chances they may be pressed into service should not be ignored completely. Not with a true freshman starting. Baylor was down to a WR starting as QB at the end of last year. And Briles normally is stacked at that position, but still wasn't enough.

TCU managed to have a comeback for the ages with a back-up QB aided by Oregon's defensive collapse, but that's an anomaly.

And let's face it, Charlie Strong isn't that lucky, nor is he smart enough to plan ahead for when his unlucky streak hits.
Macarthur
I'm blown away how anyone (Burton) could think that Texas 'should win at least 8'.

I'm having a hard time seeing them get to 6. It is an undeniable fact that offense is dominating college football right now. They do not have anything at QB (at least yet). The freshman may be good at some point, but the best they can probably hope for is average play as a true freshman.

The other thing that folks are failing to mention is how incredibly thin they are at DL and their OL is really not that much better. They have recruited some really good skill players, but have trouble in the trenches and at QB. Sorry, that's just a recipe for disaster, IMO.

dog
AG
quote:
quote:

I honestly don't know who the back up is, and honestly I don't care in regards to this conversation. The quote was that you don't "see the narrative that Strong is a good recruiter," and that he didn't recruit "positions in need" like QB and O-line. Literally after you said that, Strong added another O-lineman today, possibly another if fortune permits, and recruited and signed one of the nations best high school QBs of last season, i.e., recruiting and filling the positions in need
Buechele one of the best qb's in the USA? He might turn into a good college player, but to say he is one of the best hs qb's is a major stretch.
NakedEdwin
AG
tx should be able to close their eyes, swing a stick and find 8 wins in that putrid league.....
Rocco S
Stevetex. said:

Quote:

Quote:

Depends on who and when tu hires a new AD.

But, 90-10 Strong is fired before December 1.
I'm with Hawg on this one, without reading past her observation.

However, I stated real early last season, Chollie out by November, so don't take my take, but stevo, rv, hairywhorns, you clowns need to wake up to reality.

It ain't gonna get any better,

33, I'll cut you some slack, won't bunch you in with the others

No way. Chuck will be here in 2017.

Texas turns it around this year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.