Denver

408,814 Views | 3692 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by The Pilot
agdaddy04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You sure about that? The spelling used to be Carroll.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/local/next/what-do-you-say-how-do-you-pronounce-ken-caryl/73-408391405
pb488
AG
i've always heard it pronounced like a christmas carol
Green2Maroon
AG
I've heard people say it both ways.
agdaddy04
AG
I dated someone with the same spelling and she pronounced it Carroll, so just assumed that was the only way. But I have now heard Carl as well.
The Pilot
AG
Green2Maroon said:

I've heard people say it both ways.
same.
62strat
AG
My boss lives there (and born in Denver)
He says carol.
My aunt/uncle lived off the street in Littleton from mid 90s for 20 years or so and they said carol as well.

I've never heard anyone say Carl.
agdaddy04
AG
I honestly think it was people that just overlooked the Y in the middle of the word.
agdaddy04
AG
We just got notice from Xcel that they're going to de-energize power lines from 3pm today til noon tomorrow for many counties including ours - Boulder.
The Pilot
AG
55,000 customers expected to be impacted. If that's customers = accts that's a high number but if customers = total people, it doesn't seem like a lot.
agdaddy04
AG
I thought they've always done outages in terms of accounts.
62strat
AG
random observation;
I use gas buddy to find a good price to fill up since I am driving from downtown down to parker often.
Over the last couple years, there was always easily a $1 spread across the metro when gas is in the $2 and $3 range. Not uncommon to see 40 or 50 cent difference just within 5-10 miles or 70-80 cents between where I work vs home.

Looking at the map today, nearly every station is between $2.80 and $3.00, so a really tight spread. Lowest in town is $2.70, the highest is about $3.10, still a tight spread.

Wonder why that is?
agdaddy04
AG
Do you fill up using 85? I've always stuck with 87.
62strat
AG
Yeh 85. Less oxygen up here so I believe it's equal to a higher number at sea level.
agdaddy04
AG
Pretty sure that's old logic. With today's ECMs, I don't think you get that same benefit. The original intent was around engines with a carburetor. Either way, I've stuck with 87 since moving here.
aggietb
The air is still less dense at altitude so fuel injected or carburetor you still get the same effect. Also NEVER run mid grade which is "87" here. Theres no such thing as a "mid grade" fuel tank so each filling station is mixing regular and premium tanks at the pump to make midgrade. Some stations you may end up with a good blend and others they could just be charging you extra for regular fuel. There's absolutely no way to tell how it's being blended at the pump and it's not really checked or regulated either. If you're worried about 85(which you shouldn't be unless your car requires premium) then run premium, not mid grade.
agdaddy04
AG
I used to do the front end electrical work on gas stations, so I'm familiar with the mixing equipment. They used to require calibration, so they do not anymore?

And the way they were connected, if it was no longer pulling from the premium (let's say it ran out) the mid grade would no longer be an option to select.
aggietb
I'm a little further upstream than a filling station but everyone I've talked to in the industry that has been around fuel has always suggested to never buy midgrade because there's nothing making sure you're getting a true blend. So might end up with better fuel or worse fuel than you're paying for. If it's truly calibrated and accurate that is news to me!

An old boss of mine said he had seen stations that it just pulled straight regular and you were just paying more.
62strat
AG
Pint glass day!

chiken
AG
WHO WANTS TO GO WOTH ME TO BUCCEES?!?
NColoradoAG
chiken said:

I still have not visited. I drove from Loveland to Dalhart on Sunday and had planned to stop for snacks but the traffic was down the ramps on to the Interstate again. I'll give it another month before I even attempt it.
62strat
AG
man went the nuggets game last night, last home game.
nuggets get down by about 8 in 3rd, and all of sudden late 3rd and into 4th they just got on fire. They had 3 quick runaway slam dunks in a row, that place was lit up.

Here's the first two by Braun.. to think a third one came right after.. crazy.

The Pilot
AG
NColoradoAG said:

chiken said:

I still have not visited. I drove from Loveland to Dalhart on Sunday and had planned to stop for snacks but the traffic was down the ramps on to the Interstate again. I'll give it another month before I even attempt it.
Need a Bucees in Trinidad or Raton.
Prosper92Ag
AG
The Pilot said:

NColoradoAG said:

chiken said:

Need a Bucees in Trinidad or Raton.

Amen to that!! Those are both such good stopping spots on the drive up.
62strat
AG
It does seem the location they picked is catering much more towards locals and not through travelers, as I would suspect most through travelers are coming from south and east, even west, compared to from the north.
Jock 07
AG
From a purely selfish perspective, I'd love to see one in monument or larkspur.
COSCAG67
AG
Jock 07 said:

From a purely selfish perspective, I'd love to see one in monument or larkspur.

According to the construction lender for Bucee's, they are waiting to see how the Johnstown location does. So go buy all the dam beaver nuggets you can afford and I bet we'll see one on the south side of Denver… Monument would be the Johnstown of the south side.
Green2Maroon
AG
Pretty ideal location between Denver and the springs.
62strat
AG
My company just completed a state of the art 260ksf alcoholic beverage distribution center in Monument. Putting that little town on the map! By far the most expensive project valuation ever handed out there... ours was ~$50m and that didn't include automation/conveyor, racking, security, etc.

https://gazette.com/thetribune/monument-trustees-approve-eagle-rock-distribution-center-which-will-bring-100-plus-jobs-with-73k/article_7dd60696-f3d7-11ec-af33-6b6b39b0ee42.html
TheVarian
AG
They'd kill it there, I'd be a frequent visitor. Especially if they bring in ethanol free.
agdaddy04
AG
Green2Maroon said:

Pretty ideal location between Denver and the springs.
https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/ab7c09a831be45148991181947a97e12#data_s=id%3AdataSource_1-183cc9f1505-layer-55%3A10129

pretty neat playing around with this map when looking at reasons they may want to put it where they did. At first I also thought that south of Denver might be better. Since they're not a traditional truck stop, maybe they had other ideas in mind. And I'm sure this won't be the only Colorado location. We're severely lacking clean restrooms in this state.
mwc0746
Might have an opportunity to relocate to Denver this summer and looking for suggestions to live in on where to buy in and around Denver. Have Elementary/Middle School aged kids so kids are important. Bonus if anyone has a realtor suggestion.

Thanks
chiken
AG
Cathy Miller!!! I will use her again and again! Her attention to detail is amazing. 303-618-1993. She was recommended to me and I'm so glad I called her.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Would you be commuting daily into downtown? How long is too long of a commute for you?
mwc0746
Yes Downtown 3 days a week. Wife would work in Littleton.

Probably ok with 30-45 minute commute.
The Pilot
AG
mwc0746 said:

Yes Downtown 3 days a week. Wife would work in Littleton.

Probably ok with 30-45 minute commute.
I don't think any of the common southern suburbs (HR, LT, Parker) would work for this. I live in east Highlands Ranch and the commute to the Tech Center is about 30 min, not making it to downtown in less than 45 min.

Maybe Lakewood would be a good middle ground. The northern parts of Littleton might take you to downtown in less than 45?
First Page
Page 105 of 106

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.