***** Official 2017 Astros Off Season Thread *****

265,857 Views | 2546 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mr.Bond
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CAR96 said:

I hope this new CF camera angle is only short lived. Don't like it.

Give me the offset.

irish pete ag06
AG
cpsencik04 said:

It wont be. Personally Id like to see both. Offset so you can get a closer look without the pitcher blocking the plate and then be able to go straight up so you can see the movement.
Centerfield camera all day every day for me. I love being able to see the movement like it really looks. Also can tell location better.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I agree, but you have to admit its a much steeper angle and if the zoom in more like youre use to the pitcher will block the plate
irish pete ag06
AG
cpsencik04 said:

I agree, but you have to admit its a much steeper angle and if the zoom in more like youre use to the pitcher will block the plate
Yes. I do agree with that. However, I also watch a lot of Cardinals games (the rib is a Cardinals fan) and I supposed I've been acclimated to that angle.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
What is yalls thoughts on the new TV broadcaster, not Blum I am fine with him, but the new guy? Maybe it is just me but I am no where near use to him. Very different voice, when I listen to him he just doesnt sound like a baseball announcer to me. I had really hoped we would move the Radio guy over, i thought he did great last year the few games he covered
irish pete ag06
AG
cpsencik04 said:

What is yalls thoughts on the new TV broadcaster, not Blum I am fine with him, but the new guy? Maybe it is just me but I am no where near use to him. Very different voice, when I listen to him he just doesnt sound like a baseball announcer to me. I had really hoped we would move the Radio guy over, i thought he did great last year the few games he covered
This I also agree with. Robert Ford is greatness. Not sure about new guy.
irish pete ag06
AG
For those that missed it.

Ag_07
AG
cpsencik04 said:

I actually really like Kallas

It took me awhile to acclimate to him but after a couple ST games I was sold. Seems like he's got a good feel for professional and laid back. He also calls a nice game and seems to be up on his stuff. Think him and Blum will mesh well together and be a great combo.

Plus he doesn't creepily hit on Julia.

I will also agree that Robert Ford is nails.
CorpsAg11
AG
I liked Ashby much more than most Stros fans, even as a PBP guy. I would rather still have him than Kalas.
Beau Bevers
AG
I think we have the best PBP/Color combos we have had in a LONG time. Kalas and Ford are pros. Blummer is, hands down, the best color commentator we have ever had on TV, IMHO.
Ag_07
AG
I used to hate Blum when he first was on games, but now I think he's awesome. Gives some good insight as a former player without the look at me know it all BS some former players spew.

Did anyone happen to hear last night when he was talking about Japanese eye drops and how it's a big craze among MLB players? Said they make you feel like your retinas are literally burning, but afterwards that you could pick out an ivy leaf on the batters eye.

irish pete ag06
AG
Julia did ask last night why she has to always do the "Dollar Hot Dogs" promo...
Gramercy Riffs
AG
I like the way Kalas describes the action, and he and Blum work well together. But the weird thing is that despite his numerous ties to Houston, he just doesn't talk like an Astros guy (yet?). I feel like we're watching the other team's broadcast at times. He's very knowledgeable, it just seems like he doesn't work in as many Astros-related stories. Last night's game was odd between his general baseball commentary and all the flashbacks to non-Astros highlights. The video of Blum's first hit was cool, but we also got clips of Sosa going deep off the lights, Sexton hitting a triple off the center field pole, etc. I don't know - it just didn't feel right.

He sounds good, and the broadcast team is solid. I guess i just miss Brownie. Maybe the different voice is just throwing me off and I'll adjust soon enough.
Pahdz
The Sosa and Sexson clips were two of the biggest non-Astro highlights ever at MMP/Enron Field. When they played the Sexson clip it fit perfectly in the context of them discussing Tal's Hill.
Pahdz
Beau Bevers said:

I think we have the best PBP/Color combos we have had in a LONG time. Kalas and Ford are pros. Blummer is, hands down, the best color commentator we have ever had on TV, IMHO.
JD would like a word

I like Blum, but JD (despite being a traitor lol) was fantastic.
CorpsAg11
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

But the weird thing is that despite his numerous ties to Houston, he just doesn't talk like an Astros guy (yet?). I feel like we're watching the other team's broadcast at times.

Feels that way to me too. Also I'm not familiar with his career, what are his ties to Houston?
Ag_07
AG
CorpsAg11 said:

Gramercy Riffs said:

But the weird thing is that despite his numerous ties to Houston, he just doesn't talk like an Astros guy (yet?). I feel like we're watching the other team's broadcast at times.

Feels that way to me too. Also I'm not familiar with his career, what are his ties to Houston?

He's a native Houstonian. His dad was a HOF broadcaster for the Stros back in the 60s-70s
mwm
It's almost time to PLAY BALL.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Pahdz said:

The Sosa and Sexson clips were two of the biggest non-Astro highlights ever at MMP/Enron Field. When they played the Sexson clip it fit perfectly in the context of them discussing Tal's Hill.
Yes, I understand that, along with how they fit into the broadcast. I'm not saying those clips shouldn't have been shown. I'm just making a point that with those clips, plus Blum's clip from the Expos, plus the new guy's voice, along with the lack of Brownie/Ashby old school Astros talk, it didn't feel like I was watching an Astros game. That's not a complaint, just an observation.
Ag_07
AG
That may have a lot to do with the fact that it's indeed a ST game.

I've noticed that in these ST games when a bunch of guys get into a game that they're not familiar with or don't have a lot of history with the team that the conversation strays a bit.

Kind of like when a game is a blow out in the 5th inning and the broadcast turns to discussing random crap.
iBrad
AG
titanmaster_race said:

who the hell is stubbs? and why does he not take off his mask when running to 3B to catch a popup??

When Ausmus switched to the hockey style mask, he didn't take it off for pop ups, either. You have much better vision in those masks.
ClickClack
AG
Still miss JD, and agree something is off with the broadcast now but prob just need more time to acclimate. I appreciate Blum more now. He has good insight and is young enough to be in-tune with current players.
Pahdz
agree with that
htownag08
AG
Sorry just saw an entire thread on my viewing Astros in Austin question!
Gramercy Riffs
AG
I'm sure we'll all get used to him. Even a guy like Milo was an unfamiliar voice to someone at some point. All it takes is a few magic moments called by Kalas, and he'll be a part of our history as well.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
What was the deal with JD going to the Cubs, anyway? Was that strictly money? WGN? One of the game's most popular teams? All of the above? I don't remember the details.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
It was the Cubs...and we didnt step up to try and match or be competative
ClickClack
AG
And it was during the switch from FSN to Comcast sports net. Think he didn't want to deal with that BS. Don't blame him.
Ag_07
AG
It's the freeking Chicago Cubs

It's one of the oldest and most storied baseballs teams ever and you're broadcasting from one of the best ballparks in the world.

I wouldn't blame anyone for taking that gig.
Deluxe
AG
One last digression from last night... has anyone tried the Japanese eye drops Blum was raving about?
Ag_07
AG
Nope. But bet your ass I ordered some off Amazon already.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
I don't think anyone is blaming him for taking it - I'm only asking if there was more to the story. There was a season or two when I wasn't able to get too much info on the team at all, much less actually see a broadcast. And when I was able to get back to following them, JD just wasn't there anymore. I never knew why and until today never really even thought to ask.

From some quick reading, it looks as though length of contract was a factor as well. He'd apparently been working on a year-to-year basis for a while, and the Cubs offered him a guaranteed deal. Not sure how competitive the Astros were with their offer, but it seems as though JD gave them a chance to keep him. With that in mind, it appears to go beyond "It's the freaking Cubs" (which would have been enough for me personally, fwiw).
Ag_07
AG
Wasn't that also around the time Uncle D was starting to dump payroll?
Beau Bevers
AG
Love JD. 80's Stros are my sweet spot. I will still take Blummer's personality and storytelling every time.
bigbass1170
AG
IIRC the president at the time (Postolos) basically told him to **** off. Soon after Postolos was replaced with Ryan

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.