***** Official 2017 Astros Off Season Thread *****

264,717 Views | 2546 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mr.Bond
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do we really have people worried about spring trainer record?

Guys are working on things. We don't play our best players consistently. It's a game that has no meaning.
Ag_07
AG
While I mostly agree I do worry about fringe guys getting rocked.

Guys like Fiers and Peacock are on the fringe enough that they should still be trying to get guys out. They don't need to be 'working' on things.

They both got rocked this week. That is troubling.
CSWendt
A net can't protect everyone. So to think the net is pointless because someone still gets hit by a foul ball is to ignore every single line drive foul ball that the net does catch.

Edit: I may have misinterpreted your post. I feel the nets are a great step for safety, and fans will only complain about in theory but never actually have it negatively affect their game experience.
DVC2010
AG
I don't think you guys actually disagree.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I don't think the nets are as big a deal as people are making them out to be, but it is a step for safety that, in my opinion, is largely necessary because people aren't paying attention when they should be. The nets aren't going to fix that issue.
CSWendt
Watching the Aggies play at MMP, NOT a fan of this camera angle. Really hope this isn't the same angle for the Stros this season.
iBrad
AG
In my opinion, there is nothing troubling about Peacock getting rocked. I still can't believe he occupies a spot on the 40-man.

Fiers has never put together a good spring, so I'm not real concerned about him, either.

On a positive note, Marisnick was 3-for-3 today with a HR and stolen base.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Ag_07 said:

While I mostly agree I do worry about fringe guys getting rocked.

Guys like Fiers and Peacock are on the fringe enough that they should still be trying to get guys out. They don't need to be 'working' on things.

They both got rocked this week. That is troubling.

While they both suck, Peacock doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Fiers. If Peacock ever sees time on the hill in the show again, I will consider Lunhow an abject failure.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
CSWendt said:

Watching the Aggies play at MMP, NOT a fan of this camera angle. Really hope this isn't the same angle for the Stros this season.
That angle is tragic.
iBrad
AG
CSWendt said:

It's not. The cameras will be located just above the batter's eye. All of that is still under construction.

iBrad
AG
It should look something like this when done.

Farmer1906
AG
I don't want fringe guys getting a lot of innings during our run.
NotGibbs
iBrad said:

It should look something like this when done.

Just left MM. The video board pole looks kind of strange with the stairs wrapping around in real life. Hope it'll look better once it's completed
bigbass1170
AG
Musgrove looked good today
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Someone learn what this infield chatter app is about and get back with me...
irish pete ag06
AG
Wut
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Someone learn what this infield chatter app is about and get back with me...

It's a new social media app that a lotta players are on. Seems to be kind of an instagram for baseball
E
AG
Looks like the Red Sox have former Astro greats Brian Bogusevic and Matt Dominguez on their squad, didnt realize Bogusevic was still trying to play.
shano0603
AG
E said:

Looks like the Red Sox have former Astro greats Brian Bogusevic and Matt Dominguez on their squad, didnt realize Bogusevic was still trying to play.
Was a fan of both of those guys at one point
E
AG
Great pic of Tucker in this article
AgDC
shano0603
AG
CSWendt
Another rough outing for Devo yesterday. He's making a case to be long inning relief man again.
Ag_07
AG
Is Preston even going to be on the 25 man roster?
iBrad
AG
Depending on how many pitchers we carry, these guys will be battling for the final one or two spots on the 25-man. With Tucker getting a late start due to rehab, I'd guess he's bound for AAA unless he just tears it up. I think one spot will go to Marisnick to serve as a defensive replacement/pinch runner/spot starter versus lefties. White would be my other choice, simply because I want the other guys getting consistent ABs in Fresno to either help out when needed or be dealt.

Colin Moran
A.J. Reed
Tyler White
Teoscar Hernandez
Tony Kemp
Jake Marisnick
Preston Tucker
mazag08
AG
CSWendt said:

Another rough outing for Devo yesterday. He's making a case to be long inning relief man again.

Fine with me
Ag_07
AG
I don't think there's any doubt Marisnick breaks camp on the big league team.

Out of that list give me Kemp or Teoscar. Maybe give Reed another shot but make it clear he's got a short leash. This team is too good now to have guys that can't bat over .175. We're beyond the 'let em play and see what happens because we suck anyways' stage.

Same with White and Tucker. They need to shlt or get off the pot.

astros4545
AG
I'll take Kemp over Teoscar

I think Teoscar ha a higher ceiling and would like him to get consistent ABs, and also feel Kemp is better playing infrequently and has more flexibility
irish pete ag06
AG
I really think that last spot will go to a right handed bat. My vote is Tyler White.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

I really think that last spot will go to a right handed bat. My vote is Tyler White.

Agree on a righty, but Kemp has so much more versatility than white. That said, Kemp and Jake are pretty similar so yeah I'd prob go with white.
Ag_07
AG
Damn Charlie Morton threw 3 no hit innings with 4 Ks. #Lunhowed
NotGibbs
Beau Bevers
AG
Bregman is playing SS for USA
Correa is playing 3B for Puerto Rico

I still think those are their best positions for us.
titanmaster_race
Beau Bevers said:

Bregman it's playing SS for USA
Correa is playing 3B for Puerto Rico

I still think those are their best positions for us.

plz Hinch, you owe us this much
Ag_07
AG
So more on Morton's outing yesterday

3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4Ks, 4 ground outs to 1 fly out

Oh yeah...He hit 98 mph on the gun

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.