Astros 2016 not so improbable, inconceivable march to the World Series

298,904 Views | 3934 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Sea Gull
JJxvi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Personally, the spot I keep looking at is 3B. It's time to start trying to find someone that can take over that spot. I'd be tempted to throw Moran in the fire and see if he hits in the majors like he has at every level so far, especially when Bregman appears too good for AA right now.
Ag_07
AG
Nice breakdown and I couldn't agree more, except for the fact that Marisnick probably isnt much of an upgrade over Gomez. He's nowhere near Gomez right now. Jake was slashing .100/.182/.282 compared to Gomez currently at .200/.221/.474.

That's how bad Jake is at the plate. For comparison Castro has better numbers than Marisnick at .114/.250/.455

BTW...What's the word on McCullers? Have we heard an update lately? Should I be worried he's injured or pissed he's being held back?
Coby
AG

quote:
McCullers (shoulder) will pitch in an extended spring training game Wednesday, Brian McTaggart of MLB.com reports.

Spin:
On the heels of a successful bullpen session Friday, McCullers now heads to extended spring to face live hitters. The expectation is that he will throw approximately three innings. The team decided to hold off on McCullers' rehab assignment after he had some trouble bouncing back from a throwing session, but he could join an affiliate in short order if Wednesday's outing goes well.

NotGibbs
The most frustrating part is that this team needs to be firing on all cylinders to win. It's just that every game, one of the the groups is playing miserable. When the bats have it going, the pitching sucks. When the team is winning/close towards the end, the bullpen sucks. This team just can't catch a break.
Ag_07
AG
Good breakdown and well done!

The only thing I disagree with is that Marisnick probably isn't that much of an upgrade over Gomez. The fact is that Jake is horrid at the plate and Gomez is a huge upgrade over him.

Jake - .100/.182/.282
Gomez - .200/.221/.474
Just for comparison...Castro - .114/.250/.455

That's right. Marisnick is worse at the plate than Castro

And speaking of McCullers...WTF is the deal? We haven't heard anything lately. Should I be concerned about the injury or pissed he's being held back?
JJxvi
AG
Wow. Daz Cameron has struck out 27 times in 63 at bats in A ball this year
shano0603
AG
quote:
I wouldn't worry about it. He's an 18 year old kid.
shano0603
AG
Let's see how Bregman does when he comes off the 7-day DL
JJxvi
AG
quote:
quote:
I wouldn't worry about it. He's an 18 year old kid.
Oh, I'm not worried about it, as far as the Astros go or even for his future but thats gotta be disheartening to be so overmatched.

Better news, at high A Riley Farrell has 4 saves and 0.00 ERA in 9 IP.
titanmaster_race
quote:

Sounds like he's ready to be an Astro.
bigbass1170
AG
CALLEMUP
aTm2004
AG
quote:

aggiematt235
AG
Stolen from Reddit:

quote:
Tonight was tough. It was tough being at the stadium. I can't imagine what our broadcasters could have been talking about during such a demoralizing loss...
But we are going to be fine. It's not even May. We are in a hole, but we aren't in a hang-our-head-in-shame-while-blowing-up-the-season type of hole.
We are in a tighten-up-and-charge-into-the-playoffs-red-hot type off hole.
No, I'm not being objective, and yes, I am choosing to ignore the abundance of data and myriad of anecdotal bull**** which suggests that we are in big trouble, but so what?
We can do this, and we will.
When the Mighty Ducks were down to Iceland in the championship game in D2, did they give up? No. You know why? Because ducks fly together. Then the old guy came out with the dope new uniforms and they won (thanks to Julie "the cat" Gaffney's spectacular glove side save in the shootout.)
Then Anaheim got an actual NHL team with the uniforms from D2 and they had some good years.
In summation: Ducks fly together, Dope uniforms. Hockey. We can still win and we will.
Go Astros.
ClickClack
AG
quote:
Stolen from Reddit:

quote:
Tonight was tough. It was tough being at the stadium. I can't imagine what our broadcasters could have been talking about during such a demoralizing loss...
But we are going to be fine. It's not even May. We are in a hole, but we aren't in a hang-our-head-in-shame-while-blowing-up-the-season type of hole.
No, I'm not being objective, and yes, I am choosing to ignore the abundance of data and myriad of anecdotal bull**** which suggests that we are in big trouble, but so what?
When the Mighty Ducks were down to Iceland in the championship game in D2, did they give up? No. You know why? Because ducks fly together. Then the old guy came out with the dope new uniforms and they won (thanks to Julie "the cat" Gaffney's spectacular glove side save in the shootout.)
Then Anaheim got an actual NHL team with the uniforms from D2 and they had some good years.
In summation: Ducks fly together, Dope uniforms. Hockey. We can still win and we will.
Go Astros.

Welp, I'm on board.
bigbass1170
AG
Should we bump the other thread to switch up the mojo?
HossAg
AG
LETS GOOOO
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
quote:
Should we bump the other thread to switch up the mojo?

Can't hurt - I'm game.
Ag_07
AG
You could be on to something
mazag08
AG
quote:
Good breakdown and well done!

The only thing I disagree with is that Marisnick probably isn't that much of an upgrade over Gomez. The fact is that Jake is horrid at the plate and Gomez is a huge upgrade over him.

Jake - .100/.182/.282
Gomez - .200/.221/.474
Just for comparison...Castro - .114/.250/.455

That's right. Marisnick is worse at the plate than Castro

And speaking of McCullers...WTF is the deal? We haven't heard anything lately. Should I be concerned about the injury or pissed he's being held back?
You literally can't compare Jake and Gomez. One plays every day, one bats once a week.

With how Gomez has started, Jake should absolutely be getting 1 of every 3 starts in center. Just like Tucker the past two seasons, Santana last year, and many other guys.. Hinch refuses to play anyone but his favorites especially when the favorites are struggling.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Whoever posted about us being a small market team, I disagree. This article from 2012 has us right in the middle. Who is the smallest market? KC. Another small market? St Louis. They've managed to have some success, right? Also, only 8 spots away from the Cubs (15 vs 6)

So I don't buy the "small vs big market" BS.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/961412-mlb-power-rankings-all-30-mlb-teams-by-market-size/page/18

Similar article from Forbes on team net worth.

http://www.forbes.com/mlb-valuations/list/

We definitely spend significantly less than our "market" dictates.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Current payroll ranking - #22. 7 spots away from our "value" and "market size. The dollar value difference between 22 and 15? - just over 30mm/year.

Think 30mm could buy us another couple good players? I sure do.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
The Cubs, by comparison, have a payroll consistent with their market size (6 vs 7). By the way, 60mm higher payroll than us. 30mm higher than what our market payroll should dictate.
NotGibbs
quote:
Stolen from Reddit:

quote:
Go Astros.

Ag_07
AG
Here's the latest I could find on McCullers dated Sunday 4/24

quote:
Lance McCullers took another step in working his way back into the Astros rotation. The 22-year-old righthander threw what Astros manager A.J. Hinch called "half a bullpen (session)" on Sunday, putting McCullers in a situation that called for less pitches but more energy. He'll head to the team's spring training facility in Kissimmee, Fla. and "get up and running."

Hinch said McCullers is past the hurdle of the recovery and needs to get into baseball activity, and will likely do so in extended spring training in the next week before getting another rehab start.

NotGibbs
McCullers is pitching Wednesday in extended spring training
rosco511
AG
But nothing in Marisnick's track record says he will be a capable hitter either. Gomez has been terrible, but he at least has a track record.
irish pete ag06
AG
We operate like a small market team.

The Forbes article is pure speculation. They do not have hard figures. The TCB writers that are much smarter than me believe they overshot the revenue that the Astros pull in pretty dramatically.

I agree that the Houston metro area is not a small market, but this team is run like one (better phrasing this time).

And St. Louis may be a small market, but they are just like the Yankees when it comes to revenue. They are a cash cow that basically has a national following.
irish pete ag06
AG
http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2013/8/29/4671854/forbes-walks-back-their-astros-profitability-claim

Clack's article from TCB from 2013.
http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2013/8/26/4660022/astros-profitability-what-does-it-mean
irish pete ag06
AG
Also, this could cut into disposable income pretty badly...

quote:
I have learned that the reported $680 million an investment group led by Jim Crane has offered to pay for the Houston Astros, lease to Minute Maid Park and a roughly one-third interest in a new regional sports network that will start next year, will be financed with about $300 million of debt.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2011/05/16/purchase-of-astros-by-crane-will-rely-heavily-on-debt/#e2b1a8179aeb
NotGibbs
In other news, Nick Tropeano is sporting a 1.69 ERA through 16 IP for the Angels. Real glad Conger worked out great for the stros
shano0603
AG
quote:
In other news, Nick Tropeano is sporting a 1.69 ERA through 16 IP for the Angels. Real glad Conger worked out great for the stros
I had forgotten about that one
Mr.Bond
AG
Starting to look like luhnow is a victim of trade rapes
Ag_07
AG
You guys are going to be miserable if you keep up with and follow every Astro player that has success after he's left Houston.

They're gone, it is what is, move on.
shano0603
AG
quote:
You guys are going to be miserable if you keep up with and follow every Astro player that has success after he's left Houston.

Bobby Abreu
mazag08
AG
quote:

Yup, and more Astros prospects will be leaving. When you have a deep farm, you can't keep everyone. Hell you can't even keep half.

Guys likely ready to come up within the next year.. and this is just position players

Duffy 3B
Moran 3B
Kemp 2B / OF
Fontana 2B / UTIL
Bregman SS
Reed 1B / DH
Fisher OF
T. Hernandez OF
Ramsay OF
Heineman C
First Page Last Page
Page 110 of 113

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.