2016 NBA Draft & Trades

6,784 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by nbbob
mAgnoliAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I LOVE Thon Maker
TexAgs1992
quote:
Thon Maker just went #10 to the Bucks.
I actually like the pick and what the Bucks are trying to do.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
OKC winning it all next year.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Wow wow wow okc just robbed Orlando
Guitarsoup
AG
Bulldog73
AG
For what?
West Texan
AG
quote:
For what?

Serge Ibaka
mAgnoliAg
AG
Okc just won the title
Hickory High
AG
The Hawks just selected a guy that wasn't even in Chad Ford's top 30 players. They like this guy so much they not only drafted him way above his projection, but they also traded Jeff Teague for him. That's unreal.
Seven Costanza
AG
Thon Maker seems like a really nice kid.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
The Hawks just selected a guy that wasn't even in Chad Ford's top 30 players. They like this guy so much they not only drafted him way above his projection, but they also traded Jeff Teague for him. That's unreal.

But George Hill was also in that trade for a border line lottery choice so he will probably be a huge stud.
TexAgs1992
What are the Kings doing?
West Texan
AG
quote:

No one has a clue, including the Kings.
Guitarsoup
AG
Big downgrade defensively for OKC. Guess they plan on more small ball with Durant at 4.
Seven Costanza
AG
quote:
Kings stuff
ATM9000
AG
Yeah... Ibaka is highly underrated to what he brings to that team. I tend to agree it's going to be a huge downgrade defensively. Not sure Sabonis is NBA rotation ready yet. Ilyasova is ok... And I personally think Oladipo is very overrated though I've not seen him play a ton. Gamble by OKC that they win if Sabonis is rdy to play immediately. If not, that wasn't a great deal and as is it definitely didn't swing them to the odds on favorites for the title or even to get to the Finals.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Oladipo is most definitely not overrated. He's fantastic
Guitarsoup
AG
Illyasova is like a poor man's Kanter.

Find out real soon if Victor O was decent stats on a bad team.

Sabonis is an unknown.

We know Ibaka had good chemistry with Durant and Westbrook.

Will be interesting to see. The team that gets the one best player usually wins the trade.
Guitarsoup
AG
I like Baldwin. Good replacement for Conley.
Hickory High
AG
The only people in America that DONT think OKC traderaped the Magic are on this thread apparently.
Pahdz
quote:
Illyasova is like a poor man's Kanter.

Find out real soon if Victor O was decent stats on a bad team.

Sabonis is an unknown.

We know Ibaka had good chemistry with Durant and Westbrook.

Will be interesting to see. The team that gets the one best player usually wins the trade.
I think it's certainly debatable on who is the best player is in this trade. Serge wore me out the last few years just absolutely disappearing for long stretches of seasons and games. He gets completely disinterested in anything if he's not involved offensively early on.

Don't be surprised to see Andre Roberson your new PF on this team, depending on matchups.
ATM9000
AG
We'll see. He puts up ok numbers and I think hes capable of being a solid starter... Just have never seen the superstar potential people have talked abt with him for 3 seasons now. That's why I see him as a bit overrated. You don't trade a well rounded and borderline star big man who can play for a rotational guard. You'll point to Ilyasova but he's certainly a replacement level rotational player you can probably get cheaper and pretty easily. So that leaves Sabonis. Basically you gave up probably your 3rd best player in the prime of your team's contention run for a solid tweener guard, a replacement level player, and a draft pick who may or may not be NBA ready.

They should have done better for Ibaka in both return and type of return.
Pahdz
Also you don't "know" that Durant and Westbrook have great chemistry. If anything, I think Ibaka annoyed Durant judging on body language.

Of course, Durant and Westbrook gripe at each other all the time and tell the media it's nothing, but I actually believe it about those two.
Guitarsoup
AG
He's a shooting guard that's not a great shooter.
Pahdz
On the flip side, why did Orlando make this trade?
ATM9000
AG
Because they are already deep at replacement level young guards and combo forwards and saw an opportunity to get a really good big man.
Guitarsoup
AG
Orlando didn't have anyone that could trap the ball against the glass or deflect it after it hit its highest point without getting called for goal tending.
Guitarsoup
AG

Life playing for Sacramento
mAgnoliAg
AG
quote:
We'll see. He puts up ok numbers and I think hes capable of being a solid starter... Just have never seen the superstar potential people have talked abt with him for 3 seasons now. That's why I see him as a bit overrated. You don't trade a well rounded and borderline star big man who can play for a rotational guard. You'll point to Ilyasova but he's certainly a replacement level rotational player you can probably get cheaper and pretty easily. So that leaves Sabonis. Basically you gave up probably your 3rd best player in the prime of your team's contention run for a solid tweener guard, a replacement level player, and a draft pick who may or may not be NBA ready.

They should have done better for Ibaka in both return and type of return.

Way off everywhere. Ibaka is not a borderline star, oladipo is not just a rotational guard, and I wasn't gonna point to Ilyasova. He's a throw in. Oladipo is the best player in this trade, and they also got Sabonis and Ilyasova.
Agmaniacmike12
Nice trade for the Thunder. Ibaka was not as dominant on defense last year and disappeared for large portions of the game. They got a solid guard, rotation big, and essentially a top 10 pick. On top of all this, they cleared some cap room to give KD what he wants.
Guitarsoup
AG
Orlando was phasing out Victor O, even demoting him to the bench and giving him less touches this year. He is streaky, is prone to really bad decision making and shot selection and general mental lapses.

Maybe with some great coaching by Donovan, he can really blossom into a defensive stopper and with two true alpha dogs, he will make better decisions shooting otherwise Russ and Durant will make sure his body isn't found.
Guitarsoup
AG
Illysova's contract of 8.4mm is only $400k guaranteed. He will probably be cut.

Now with Roberson and VictorO, the Thunder probably won't keep Dion Waiters, who is a RFA.

That means the trade is essentially Ibaka and Waiters for Victor O and Sabonis.
CFTXAG10
AG
Deluxe
AG
quote:
Orlando was phasing out Victor O, even demoting him to the bench and giving him less touches this year. He is streaky, is prone to really bad decision making and shot selection and general mental lapses.

Maybe with some great coaching by Donovan, he can really blossom into a defensive stopper and with two true alpha dogs, he will make better decisions shooting otherwise Russ and Durant will make sure his body isn't found.
Victor O in Orlando sounds similar to Waiters in Cleveland. IMO Victor O has a little more talent and upside, but both guys seem to suffer from the same "think they should be the centerpiece of a franchise but aren't quite good enough" syndrome. Donovan found a way to get Waiters to buy into a limited role on offense and focus on defense. Hopefully he can do the same with Victor O (like you said). And this saves the Thunder from having to give Waiters a 5-year, $80mm deal, which would have shut the door on any future cap flexibility.

With Adams' contract up after next year, plus the hope of retaining KD/Russ at max levels plus Kanter's large contract, it was highly unlikely that Serge would be in the fold after 2016-17. Dealing him leaves a big question mark at the 4 next year, but I have a feeling another move or two may be coming. Assuming Ilyasova gets cut and Morrow/Foye aren't retained, the Thunder will have some cap space to play with. I also wouldn't be shocked if they shop Kanter.
Pahdz
Shopping Kanter I'm afraid won't get them much after the deal he inked last year. We'll see though.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.