Spurs Offseason Thread

46,977 Views | 503 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggieactor01
DTP02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They could just bring a cardboard cutout of Kawhi and it would be just as verbose.
GatorAg03
AG
Lakers just paid Timothy Mozgov $4 million less per year than Aldridge. Spurs front office is always making much of the NBA look like fools.
AggieSportsGuy
AG
quote:
Lakers just paid Timothy Mozgov $4 million less per year than Aldridge. Spurs front office is always making much of the NBA look like fools.

It's because of the salary cap increase, it has nothing to do with the Spurs' front office. Mozgov's deal is basically a 12 mil deal in last years free agency, which I agree is still too much. Aldridge would be at around 26 if he got a max this year.
Sher Thing
AG
Some of these contracts are insane, even with the spike in the cap.

That's why you see the Spurs rumored with a lot of these euro players right now. Trying to find "bargain" deals. The Spurs just won't overpay for a role player like some of these teams are about to do. I mean Kent Bazemore is rumored to get over 12M+ yr. Insane.

Spurs will most likely ink Gasol for a market deal and try to fill the rest out with bargain players. If they make another splash I would imagine it would come VIA trade.
Guitarsoup
AG

quote:
I mean Kent Bazemore is rumored to get over 12M+ yr. Insane.
His agent says he will get 18-20mm.
GatorAg03
AG
I'm well aware. The fact they locked him up for 4 years before the increased cap space is yet another example of their plan. Had they not struck big last year with LMA then the next 3 years would be much tighter financially. Spurs now have some room to maneuver instead of paying 16 million for Mozgov.
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
quote:

It's because of the salary cap increase, it has nothing to do with the Spurs' front office. Mozgov's deal is basically a 12 mil deal in last years free agency, which I agree is still too much. Aldridge would be at around 26 if he got a max this year.
I know the cap spiked, but that doesn't mean I'm now worth a 3 year, 10 million dollar deal, and it shouldn't mean that Mozgov is worth a 4 year, 64 million dollar deal, either.
NoHo Hank
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I know the cap spiked, but that doesn't mean I'm now worth a 3 year, 10 million dollar deal, and it shouldn't mean that Mozgov is worth a 4 year, 64 million dollar deal, either.
Werd.
Guitarsoup
AG
Spurs reached out to Kris Humphries Kardashian.
Enzo The Baker
AG
PLUM LOCO
AG
If KD is after the $$$$$ then the SPURS it is...
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
If KD is after the $$$$$ then the SPURS it is...
$$$$ + Rings

Boban
TheMarcus
Kawhi
Durant
Parker

Can't lose.
2008and1
AG
I feel like this FA period is going to lead to a lot of regret. Seems a lot of guys are getting over paid. The cap space is there now, but what about a couple years from now when entire rosters are on new contracts.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Spurs showing interest in Jordan Hill and Mahinmi.
superunknown
AG
quote:
Spurs reached out to Kris Humphries Kardashian.

Assistant coach on summer league team?
West Texan
AG
quote:
Spurs showing interest in Jordan Hill and Mahinmi.

I have no problem with Manhinmi. He played well last season, good rebounder, solid defender. We could do a lot worse for a backup center. Now I still want Pau, but if he's not available then the former Spur could be back in silver and black.
Enzo The Baker
AG
It seems like the Spurs' hands are tied until Manu and Tim make a decision. Or maybe their decision is contingent upon Durant's. There probably won't be any moves made until Sunday or Monday.
Diet Cokehead
AG
Manhimi would be good with me. I'll let Pop and RC know.
DuckDown2013
AG
Can't find any updates on meeting with KD. He fits with the Spurs so much better than Okc or Golden State. He would have multiple teammates that are high volume shooters in GS and of course Westbrook is the same.

Or he could play with selfless and top defensive players like Danny, kawhi, Boris, and LA. I know Danny is assumed to be traded if KD came in, but for some reason I think Diaw, Parker, Manu, and Timmy would all take pay cuts to get KD and potentially keep Danny.
Guitarsoup
AG
I actually don't think Durant is a great fit. He plays lots of ISO ball. Spurs would be great just because there is that much star power, but it would be a completely different style than he has always played.
superunknown
AG
Manu if he comes back on a vet min contract yeah but the rest of the guys aren't taking paycuts...there aren't restructured deals like in the NFL.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
quote:
How do we get Steven Adams?

Seriously, is this possible? I don't care if we "over pay" for him. (I know his value is higher than it's ever been, but I still think he is under-valued. His value will only continue to increase.)
GatorAg03
AG
Mahinimi off the board to Washington for a staggering 16 million per year. This is getting nuts.
DTP02
AG
quote:
I actually don't think Durant is a great fit. He plays lots of ISO ball. Spurs would be great just because there is that much star power, but it would be a completely different style than he has always played.

I don't know that it would be nearly as different as it would have been a year or two ago, since the offense we ran once we started featuring LaMarcus was different than the beautiful game offense. We've also started featuring Kawhi more in iso, so I'm not really sure what direction we're headed offensively.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Spurs are interested in Donald Sloan.
West Texan
AG
quote:
Spurs are interested in Donald Sloan.

I love Donald Sloan. I haven't watched him enough to really know about his game as an NBA player, but one of my favorite to have ever worn the maroon and white.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Manu back for one more.
Diet Cokehead
AG
Hopefully Duncan announces the same intentions soon.
Ulrich
It's an odd year, boys.
superunknown
AG
I keep F5ing slamduncan.com but no updates so far.
Iowaggie
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
Man. I wish. Stein reporting it's GS or OKC. No big surprise.
Sher Thing
AG
Sadly, unless KD surprises it looks like it's going to be a pretty disappointing summer for the Spurs. I guess they will still make a run at Pau but the number being thrown out there is just insane and he will likely have to take substantially less to play in SA unless the Spurs unload a couple pieces.

Pau just replacing TD and the Spurs trying to find another diamond in the rough is likely the best case scenario unless the Spurs find a good trade partner. Spurs will try not to hamper themselves for next summer as the cap will increase again and the Spurs should have a good amount of $ at that point. Dont see the Spurs throwing that away for an overpayed role player.

With Biyombo signing in Orlando, maybe the Spurs can work something out for Vucevic?
2008and1
AG
As a Spurs fan I hope KD comes to SA. As a basketball fan I hope he stays in OKC or goes to BOS.
West Texan
AG
Hopefully KD to GSW means Pau will come on down.

Imo the only shot at beating the dubs in a series would be to have two bigs that can score that force them to have to match up. Easier said than done, but playing small ball against Curry, Thompson, Iggy, KD, and Green is a losing proposition.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.