Spurs Offseason Thread

46,972 Views | 503 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggieactor01
West Texan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
IMO it's gonna come down to if Parker will step back and take the role of leading the bench unit.
Cappo
AG
Parker's glory days are unfortunately behind him. He cannot keep up with the elite PGs of the league on both sides of the ball. He definitely could play a role but Conley could really help in the starting lineup for damn sure.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
IMO it's gonna come down to if Parker will step back and take the role of leading the bench unit.

Parker said he would do whatever as long as Pop was happy.
West Texan
AG
quote:
quote:

If that's the case, then idk what Conley would be concerned about.
Ulrich
quote:
quote:
quote:

Is he married?
West Texan
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Is he married?

I laughed.
superunknown
AG
Kinda spitballing here but Parker could play the 2 alongside Conley in a small ball lineup. He's gotten better at catch and shoot situations...maybe he could be a poor man's Rip Hamilton when he's not running point on the 2nd team. I could see him running off a lot of picks and curls etc. with a lot of triple option plays for him.
2008and1
AG
This one hurts:

Obi Wan Ginobili
quote:
This one hurts

Don't be so dramatic. If Pop or Chip leave, then we can worry.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Pretty interesting info on David West from Woj. His move to SA last season could have been more of a personal longterm career move than a playing basketball move.

quote:

"And then David West, going into this year, people around David West said this was going to be his last year and I remember talking to him in the preseason about that in going down to San Antonio and he thought, like, 'could be.' And I think now he enjoyed that year so much in San Antonio, he's a free agent of course they'd want to keep him. I'll say this about David West whenever he decides to retire, he will be the most sought after front office executive in the league. Everybody in the league wants to get David West in their front office. He's going to be a GM someday, if that's what he wants to do, but boy, I know like it will be hard to pluck him out, once he's gotten into San Antonio, I would be shocked if he doesn't have the opportunity to get in their front office, but I know other organizations would love to get him. The league office, David West he's everything you want in a player, a leader, a great thinker, a high character guy, and the Spurs loved having him and they really hope he plays another year."

Woj on Manu.

quote:

Adrian Wojnarowski: There's a strong belief that Manu Ginobili is probably going to play another year.

Also, Woj on Pau.

quote:

"I'm told that Pau Gasol's a real priority for them. They tried to get him before he signed with Chicago. The Bulls were able to offer him a little bit more than the mid-level that year, I think the Spurs had a mid-level for him. They can maneuver in San Antonio and probably be able to offer him a market value, we'll see what that's going to be."

dave99ag
AG
Is there even a remote chance of KD coming here with it appearing Timmy and Manu in all likelihood coming back?
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Is there even a remote chance of KD coming here with it appearing Timmy and Manu in all likelihood coming back?
Nah. He stays. OKC is great and we would have to dump Diaw and or Green to get KD.

KD signs a 1yr deal.

Our dream summer is Conley+Gasol, but more realistic is one or the other.
Enzo The Baker
AG
If they re-sign at a lower amount (both opt out) and we move a combination of DG/Parker/Patty/Boris, it's possible.
Obi Wan Ginobili
quote:
If they re-sign at a lower amount (both opt out) and we move a combination of DG/Parker/Patty/Boris, it's possible.

Parker is a Spur for life. The front office would never trade him. Same for Manu and Tim.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Timothy Theodore Duncan exercises his player option.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
ESPN is reporting that the Spurs pursuit of Conley has been overstated and that they aren't really expected to go after him. Durant first option, then Gasol.

I agree with this. Conley's injuries are too much of a concern to throw a large contract to him.
Guitarsoup
AG
I think Memphis is prepared to pay whatever they need to to keep him
GatorAg03
AG
Well with Ibaka leaving the Thunder perhaps the Spurs can be the dominant big team in the NBA and go old school down low and dominate the boards. Parker, Leonard, Green, Aldridge Gasol/Duncan would be a formidable starring 5 and then hopefully the second unit could be a little more wide open and major change of pace, especially if Diaw and Mills have a better year. Still think we are playing from behind without an upgrade at PG, but upgrading there is asking a lot. Hopefully Parker can some how turn back the clock.

Would be fun to even try Gasol, Duncan, LMA and Leonard on the court at the same time.
Guitarsoup
AG
Free agent PGs:

Conley
Rondo
Lin
Deron
BrandoN Jennings
Hostile_Aggie
Sher Thing
AG
Yeah I just don't see the Spurs targeting a marquee PG with Parker on the roster.

Duncan opting in doesn't mean much in regard to his playing future. Actually seems that he's probably more likely to retire by opting into his final year (which I know is confusing to some).

Also appears the Spurs are going to guarantee Diaw's contract and keep him on the roster. Many thought the Spurs would waive to save some cap room here. Obviously the Spurs just don't see a likely scenario in which they sign another MAX player.

IF and a big IF, Durant really wants to be a Spur and commits to them over the free agency moratorium, the Spurs obviously feel confident they can make the room by way of trading (Mills, Diaw, Green or TP) and making a few other subtle moves to free up the money. Not likely though.

---

IMO, I still am leaning toward the idea that Duncan does not come back. Him opting in still lets the Spurs pay him his 5M even if he doesn't decide to play (and he definitely deserves that money).

Under this scenario the Spurs would have some cap room ) to play with, as well as, their room exception. I think you will see them retaining Boban, signing Gasol, and bring over Bertans & Jean Charles. At this point they would obviously still be thin at guard and they would have Duncan's contract (around $6M) that they would be able to trade (while he retires). Combine that with Mills and/or Diaw and you can bring back around a $14-$16M/yr player in a trade.
Enzo The Baker
AG
When does Duncan have to make a decision by?

Also, Durant is meeting with the Thunder and Warriors on Friday. Then the Spurs and Clips on Saturday...Yea, we don't stand a chance. haha
Obi Wan Ginobili
quote:

He already opted in.
aggieactor01
AG
Wade reached out apparently. I agree with this take that he stays in Miami but thought I'd post it anyway.

http://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/report-dwyane-wades-representatives-sent-out-feelers-to-spurs-mavs
2008and1
AG
quote:
quote:

He already opted in.

He can still retire.
Diet Cokehead
AG
Timmy is coming back. I rebuke anybody that says otherwise.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wade wanna play Lebron in the finals?
Obi Wan Ginobili

phatpat21
So how the heck they gonna try to get KD to SA?
I doubt it happens then again I didn't think we'd get LA either
Guitarsoup
AG
KD is going to stay. If we were to get him, we would drop Green+Diaw+Patty+Boban and maybe more. Pipe dream that would kill depth, but LMA/Kawhi/Durant/Parker/Duncan would be the best starting five in the NBA by far.
Obi Wan Ginobili
KD is staying in OKC on a 1+1 deal. No matter how many times he tells people he's making his decision purely on basketball, he would be a total idiot to ignore the monetary value in waiting one more season.

I actually though KD was gone after they choked away the WCF, but OKC crushed it on draft night, so he can simultaneously give his longtime team one more chance to win a title, all while letting the cap spike one more time. He's also got the added benefit of waiting to see what Westbrook is going to do.

If he really, truly wants to sell out and play with Draymond and the Splash dewshes, they will still be there next summer.
Enzo The Baker
AG
quote:

Yahoo! Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski reported the Spurs will be sending a trio of Head Coach Gregg Popovich, General Manager R.C. Buford and All-Star LaMarcus Aldridge to their free agent meeting with Kevin Durant Saturday in the Hamptons.

On the Vertical online show, Wojnarowski mentioned the reason some other core players might not make the meeting is due to them training with their national teams. Tony Parker is in the Philippines preparing to compete for France in the Olympic Qualifying Tournament, while Manu Ginobili is Argentina and Patty Mills is in Australia.

Wojnarowski (Woj) was asked why Kawhi Leonard won't be in the meeting, and while Woj said there's still a chance Leonard could make his way to the meeting, Leonard's currently dealing with a personal matter. One name not mentioned by Woj was Tim Duncan. Last Friday, ESPN reported Duncan was supposed to be in the meeting as well with Durant, but as of Thursday evening, it wasn't reported he would be.

Doesn't sound promising.
BBQ4Me
AG
Don't want to put your prospective client to sleep in a meeting
Enzo The Baker
AG
haha true.
Ulrich
My aunt said that Kawhi either recently had or is about to have a child. No idea if it's true, but that might keep him away from a meeting.

That or they scheduled the meeting so that he would have to miss two workouts so he decided it wasn't worth it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.