Rapinoe is a disgrace.

7,946 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by tysker
Kramer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can someone explain what "social injustice" is?
Can someone explain what "social justice" looks like?

If you can't (and these athletes certainly can't), get up and let your actions in your private life do your talking/protesting.
heddleston
AG
And it's obvious to me that she's doing it for the attention.

this is from the first game she knelt at:

anything stick out to you? how bout Rapinoe? where the crap is the rest of her team? she made sure she got out on a nice patch of grass away from everyone else to make sure God and everyone could see her make her statement. take your knee or whatever, but do it with the rest of your team. this just made me think she's an attention ***** trying to score SJW points for her image.
stillmerk
AG
I wish a teammate would just stand right in front of her.
mullokmotx
AG
Should not have played last night because she didn't deserve to. Anyone who does this from now on should be told to pack their gear and leave permanently. Anyone who does this should be forced to visit a military hospital and explain to the patients why their sacrifice was for nothing.
sharpdressedman
This won't end well for her. It will be fun to watch.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
Should not have played last night because she didn't deserve to. Anyone who does this from now on should be told to pack their gear and leave permanently. Anyone who does this should be forced to visit a military hospital and explain to the patients why their sacrifice was for nothing.
I think the patients will have sacrificed for nothing if we , as the American public, continue down this path of trying to clobber freedom of speech.

Remember, the flag itself is just some cloth that you can buy for a few bucks at the store. That's not really why folks go to war.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:
Instead she's just following in NFL players' shoes, who incidentally only started doing it when they realized they were becoming irrelevant and about to be cut from the team.
I'm still absolutely convinced this is why CK was sitting. He was mad he wasn't playing. The national anthem had nothing to do with. He came up with that bull**** on the spot
Kaepernick is donating salary and all proceeds from his jersey sales to charities (which his team has already pledged to match).
Texags is garbage
I've already been annoyed with the USWNT as of late. They've become such a clown show IMO.
byfLuger41
AG
PatAg
AG
Funny video, but this is a different situation no? They are being selected to represent the national team. If you had an issue, wouldn't you just refuse the call up? Once you take it, I don't think you should be doing what she is doing. Colin is a pro player in the NFL, he can do whatever he wants.
Mathguy64
AG
quote:
quote:
I think the patients will have sacrificed for nothing if we , as the American public, continue down this path of trying to clobber freedom of speech.

Remember, the flag itself is just some cloth that you can buy for a few bucks at the store. That's not really why folks go to war.

It's hypocritical of her to wrap herself in that flag and use that public position to complain about the issues she perceives that this nation has. The nation who flag she is wearing.

She can exercise her rights while on her club team all she wants.
sharpdressedman
The flag she mocks is largely responsible for lining her personal economic nest. I don't know of any species that ***** where it lives. She is a hypocrite of the worst kind.
Jason_Ag98
AG
quote:
quote:

I don't think anyone is trying to clobber her freedom of speech here - she wasn't hauled off to jail or anything. US Soccer isn't obligated to provide her a platform to express her political views.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences.
TXAggie2011
AG
Where did I say anything about US Soccer?
Mr. White
Why do people keep thinking opponents of Rapinoe, etc. are against free speech?

It's why she's doing it and the hypocritical platform she's using that angers people.

Mr. White
Jason_Ag98
AG
quote:
^ Captain Obvious to the rescue.

But where did I say anything about US Soccer?
The topic of the thread seems to be Rapinoe's actions during a USWNT match and how US Soccer should respond. I guess I assumed that is the context you were speaking to.
TXAggie2011
AG
And a number of members of "American public" here have exposed themselves as being fearful of addressing the "why", on this thread and in many other places and on other similar issues.

Its quite obvious here, seeing the comparisons to the NFL players, the dissecting of her kneeling for her club team, and even the attempt to parse out a difference from those guys who protesting in '68, that folks in this thread have difficulty engaging her on the "why" but rather look to bail out before they get that far.

And its quite obvious in the reactions to Kaepernick and many other situations that the priorities of many members of the American public are keen not to engage on the "why", but to basically say keep your mouth shut if you don't share my views.

To clarify, if you're a pure soul whose only problem is you don't think US Soccer is the right place for this, that's fine. I wasn't addressing that. I know I was cryptic, so its OK. But I wasn't addressing that, to be clear.

Lets go off her kneeling for club team and talk the actual issue.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
The flag she mocks is largely responsible for lining her personal economic nest. I don't know of any species that ***** where it lives. She is a hypocrite of the worst kind.
So, I know what you mean.

But lets be careful about conflating US Soccer and the USWNT of having anything to do with the US government, the US military, etc.

US Soccer is a corporation with headquarters in downtown Chicago. That's all it is.

US Soccer and that flag are no more responsible for anything than the San Francisco 49ers and the flag are responsible for Colin Kaepernick's much healthier financial nest egg.
Mr. White
quote:
And a number of members of "American public" here have exposed themselves as being fearful of addressing the "why", on this thread and in many other places and on other similar issues.

Its quite obvious here, seeing the comparisons to the NFL players, the dissecting of her kneeling for her club team, and even the attempt to parse out a difference from those guys who protesting in '68, that folks in this thread have difficulty engaging her on the "why" but rather look to bail out before they get that far.

And its quite obvious in the reactions to Kaepernick and many other situations that the priorities of many members of the American public are keen not to engage on the "why", but to basically say keep your mouth shut if you don't share my views.

To clarify, if you're a pure soul whose only problem is you don't think US Soccer is the right place for this, that's fine. I wasn't addressing that. I know I was cryptic, so its OK. But I wasn't addressing that, to be clear.

Lets go off her kneeling for club team and talk the actual issue.

You don't engage 5 year old children when they think they're right. You laugh them off.
TXAggie2011
AG
Case in point. Thanks.

But true. So I'll let you get back to the ball pit.
wangus12
AG
quote:
US Soccer and that flag are no more responsible for anything than the San Francisco 49ers and the flag are responsible for Colin Kaepernick's much healthier financial nest egg.
Agreed, but playing for the USA and wearing the crest makes you a representative of the nation on the field. Playing for San Francisco has nothing to do with representing the USA.

In the end, like you said the real issues need to be addressed. Unfortunately all the media talks about is the kneeling, and rarely the why
TXAggie2011
AG

quote:
Playing for San Francisco has nothing to do with representing the USA.
That's for sure.

I get it, and I'm not trying to go after US Soccer for admonishing her. But I don't think threads like this help get us closer to having a real discussion and I think many people here and elsewhere have shown they wouldn't have much of an appetite for it.

Anyways, I won't beat this into the ground anymore.

Take care. God Bless the USA.
Mr. White
quote:

quote:
Playing for San Francisco has nothing to do with representing the USA.
That's for sure.

I get it, and I'm not trying to go after US Soccer for admonishing her. But I don't think threads like this help get us closer to having a real discussion and I think many people here and elsewhere have shown they wouldn't have much of an appetite for it.

Anyways, I won't beat this into the ground anymore.

Take care. God Bless the USA.

Tell us all about how the police are out to kill innocent people.

Tell us about the blatant racism. Go ahead.

TXAggie2011
AG
Absolutely ****ing not, PatAg, especially after that post.

Mr. White, I'm not here to convince you of that, just pointing out folks sure do love to cower behind, well, bull**** to avoid having the tough conversation. But if you want to know, this WaPo article is probably the best, most succinct summary of the situation, and where I start.

Some important bits from the article:

Black Americans are 2.5 times more likely to be shot and killed by the police than are white Americans.

Unarmed blacks are 5 times more likely to be shot and killed by the police than are whites.

Since 2015, 13% of black people who are killed were unarmed. 7% of whites that were killed were unarmed.

Want to explain it away by saying blacks are just more violent?

quote:
A 2015 study by a University of California at Davis researcher concluded there was "no relationship" between crime rates by race and racial bias in police killings. A report released last week by the Center for Policing Equity, which reviewed arrest and use-of-force data from 12 police departments, concluded that black residents were more often targeted for use of police force than white residents, even when adjusting for whether the person was a violent criminal.

Now continue to cower.
datrixstunna
AG
Jesus Crist you are delusional. No one is saying that there are no atrocities against blacks, however, Rapinoe wearing a USA jersey and getting paid to represent the USA makes her an ungrateful hypocrite. There are much better forums for her to protest, like declining the USWT invite and paycheck. She stood for the Thailand anthem, which is known for oppression. HYPROCRITE.
TXAggie2011
AG
Actually, Mr. White has said just that. Did you read the thread?

But calm down. Breath. I already said I'm not criticizing US Soccer nor those whose beef lay with her forum of protest.

I. Already. Said. That. "Jesus. Christ."

I'm criticizing other things that have been said in this thread. Its obviously gone well beyond her forum of protest for many people in this thread.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
She stood for the Thailand anthem, which is known for oppression.
Thailand isn't a very free country, but Rapinoe doesn't live in Thailand, does she? You're stretching it here.
Bockaneer
AG
I read your article, I think this is the elephant in the room-

quote:
According to that data, out of all violent crimes in which someone was charged, black Americans were charged with 62 percent of robberies, 57 percent of murders and 45 percent of assaults in the country's 75 biggest counties despite the fact that black Americans made up just 15 percent of the population in those places
datrixstunna
AG
quote:
quote:
Thailand isn't a very free country, but Rapinoe doesn't live in Thailand, does she? You're stretching it here.
Doesn't matter where she lives. Inequality is a global issue and she still respected the Thailand anthem.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
Is this not a bigger problem that should be addressed?
quote:
According to that data, out of all violent crimes in which someone was charged, black Americans were charged with 62 percent of robberies, 57 percent of murders and 45 percent of assaults in the country's 75 biggest counties despite the fact that black Americans made up just 15 percent of the population in those places.

No doubt crime in black communities, that tend to be poor, is a huge problem the same way crime is a huge problem in similarly marginalized communities worldwide. And thank goodness guys like Colin Kaepernick donate time and huge swaths of money to organizations that exist to improve conditions in lower-income communities.

A bigger problem? I don't know and I don't care. According to the studies above and others that I have seen, it doesn't seem to be what is causing disparities in police violence, so we can't really say its a problem-precedent to the police shootings.

You said you read the article, you saw it address the "elephant."

Lets work to solve both, I think we can do that. I don't find arguing which of these two is a bigger problem to be helpful.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Doesn't matter where she lives. Inequality is a global issue and she still respected the Thailand anthem.
So you'd be OK then if she knelt for both anthems?
TXAggie2011
AG
p.s. For those curious, at least last year, Rapinoe's sister worked for an organization that works in refugee camps in Darfur.

When US Soccer tried to give her a Rolex watch for 100 apperances, Rapinoe asked them to donate the value to the organization in Darfur.

Rapinoe has put her money where her mouth is, and she's apparently well aware of the global issues of inequality, poverty, oppression, etc.
Mr. White
Zzzzzzzzz
datrixstunna
AG

But she didn't.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.