Rapinoe is a disgrace.

7,905 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by tysker
Kampfers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I commend you for your efforts. I learned long ago that I'd rather bang my head against a brick wall than debate the political groupthink on TexAgs. Probably wouldn't lose as many brain cells that way too.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
quote:
I commend you for your efforts. I learned long ago that I'd rather bang my head against a brick wall than debate the political groupthink on TexAgs. Probably wouldn't lose as many brain cells that way too.
FW Declerk
quote:
I love self serving posts like these...oh you are such a bad ass going against us dumb yokels here on texags.

give me a break.
FW Declerk
quote:
Absolutely ****ing not, PatAg, especially after that post.

Mr. White, I'm not here to convince you of that, just pointing out folks sure do love to cower behind, well, bull**** to avoid having the tough conversation. But if you want to know, this WaPo article is probably the best, most succinct summary of the situation, and where I start.

Some important bits from the article:

Black Americans are 2.5 times more likely to be shot and killed by the police than are white Americans.

Unarmed blacks are 5 times more likely to be shot and killed by the police than are whites.

Since 2015, 13% of black people who are killed were unarmed. 7% of whites that were killed were unarmed.

Want to explain it away by saying blacks are just more violent?

quote:
A 2015 study by a University of California at Davis researcher concluded there was "no relationship" between crime rates by race and racial bias in police killings. A report released last week by the Center for Policing Equity, which reviewed arrest and use-of-force data from 12 police departments, concluded that black residents were more often targeted for use of police force than white residents, even when adjusting for whether the person was a violent criminal.

Now continue to cower.

Blacks have more to fear from other blacks than police funny how you don't post those stats?

Rapione and CK are making this all about them lying about an issue that is not a problem.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
quote:
going against us dumb yokels here on texags.
i dont think he was implying anyone was dumb, but group think on texags is totally a thing.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
quote:
going against us dumb yokels here on texags.
i dont think he was implying anyone was dumb, but group think on texags is totally a thing.
titanmaster_race
There is clearly an issue with police brutality in America.

There are clearly issues with racism in America.

But to protest the national anthem and then still suit up and play for the USA and receive a check from the team is hypocritical and self-serving.

EOT
jeffk
AG
quote:

But to protest the national anthem and then still suit up and play for the USA and receive a check from the team is hypocritical and self-serving.

EOT

Pretty much this. Well-said.

If I'm ever asked to violate my convictions by my employer, I'm quitting my job and making sure people understand why. I'm not continuing to accept their money and only doing part of my job.

In today's society, you have to very careful how you control your message - especially if it challenges social norms. So while I agree that our society has problems with racism and police brutality, when you argue that issue using tent pole occurrences that have been proven to be poor examples, people stop paying attention to you or worse, turn against you and your otherwise noble cause. As much as we like to laugh and joke about the public being generally stupid, they will see through false narratives if they are used to push an agenda. That's where I see the BLM movement in America today - a generally true issue that's been propped up by disproven or false instances. If more attention was focused on numbers and figures (like in the WaPo article) and events that actually illustrate the problems our nation is facing instead of fabricating the facts and events to boost support, maybe we could move from raising awareness to actually addressing the problems.

Which brings me to my society rant - we as a people are so lazy. We love, love, love awareness campaigns. They generate dollars and attract huge support. We'll wear colored bracelets, change our social media avatars and use hashtags all day, every day. But how about some follow up? I want to hear news stories about the money Kaep donated being used. I want to know that McCarthy and the Packers donating money to improve police-community relationships. I want to hear about the neighborhood leaders and police officers working together to make their towns and cities safe. But instead we get interview after interview focused on how outraged both sides are. The NWSL owner moves the Anthem do Rapinoe can't protest, so she calls him a homophobe. It's circular arguing that only sows more discord and never addresses an actual issue.

Taking a stand Does take courage, but actually addressing an issue takes courage and hard work.
TXAggie2011
AG

quote:
Blacks have more to fear from other blacks than police funny how you don't post those stats?

Rapione and CK are making this all about them lying about an issue that is not a problem.
I invite you to read the article to which I linked to where you can read about black on black violence. It will tell you 90% of murdered black people were murdered by another black person. It is there. I do not hide from it.

I invite you to read my post about problems within black communities. It is there. I do not hide from it.

That does not mean Rapinoe and Kaepernick are lying about an issue that is not a problem.

You are more likely to choke on your cereal in the morning than you are to be scratched by an Islamist terrorist. Are you prepared to say those who say Islamist terrorists are a problem for the United States are lying?

The world has many problems, not just one "biggest" problem.

FW Declerk
quote:

quote:

I invite you to read the article to which I linked to where you can read about black on black violence. It will tell you 90% of murdered black people were murdered by another black person. It is there. I do not hide from it.

I invite you to read my post about problems within black communities. It is there. I do not hide from it.

That does not mean Rapinoe and Kaepernick are lying about an issue that is not a problem.

You are more likely to choke on your cereal in the morning than you are to be scratched by an Islamist terrorist. Are you prepared to say those who say Islamist terrorists are a problem for the United States are lying?

The world has many problems, not just one "biggest" problem.

So they are bringing awareness to something statistically that won't happen? color me unimpressed.
FW Declerk
quote:
quote:

EOT

Pretty much this. Well-said.

If I'm ever asked to violate my convictions by my employer, I'm quitting my job and making sure people understand why. I'm not continuing to accept their money and only doing part of my job.

In today's society, you have to very careful how you control your message - especially if it challenges social norms. So while I agree that our society has problems with racism and police brutality, when you argue that issue using tent pole occurrences that have been proven to be poor examples, people stop paying attention to you or worse, turn against you and your otherwise noble cause. As much as we like to laugh and joke about the public being generally stupid, they will see through false narratives if they are used to push an agenda. That's where I see the BLM movement in America today - a generally true issue that's been propped up by disproven or false instances. If more attention was focused on numbers and figures (like in the WaPo article) and events that actually illustrate the problems our nation is facing instead of fabricating the facts and events to boost support, maybe we could move from raising awareness to actually addressing the problems.

Which brings me to my society rant - we as a people are so lazy. We love, love, love awareness campaigns. They generate dollars and attract huge support. We'll wear colored bracelets, change our social media avatars and use hashtags all day, every day. But how about some follow up? I want to hear news stories about the money Kaep donated being used. I want to know that McCarthy and the Packers donating money to improve police-community relationships. I want to hear about the neighborhood leaders and police officers working together to make their towns and cities safe. But instead we get interview after interview focused on how outraged both sides are. The NWSL owner moves the Anthem do Rapinoe can't protest, so she calls him a homophobe. It's circular arguing that only sows more discord and never addresses an actual issue.

Taking a stand Does take courage, but actually addressing an issue takes courage and hard work.
Funny I see black people who go to school don't break the law and work hard succeed just like white people funny concept I know
jeffk
AG
Anecdotal, I know, but I attended two funerals for kids in the last five years who would fit the "work hard, keep your nose clean" label. Unfortunately, there are outside forces at work in their lives too. Parents who don't give a **** about them or their future, gangs who control their apartment complexes, lack of access to basic necessities I took for granted when I was their age, etc.
FW Declerk
quote:
Anecdotal, I know, but I attended two funerals for kids in the last five years who would fit the "work hard, keep your nose clean" label. Unfortunately, there are outside forces at work in their lives too. Parents who don't give a **** about them or their future, gangs who control their apartment complexes, lack of access to basic necessities I took for granted when I was their age, etc.
Bad parenting is not just a black issue.
jeffk
AG
Edit - nevermind.

I forgot who I'm arguing with.
TXAggie2011
AG

quote:
So they are bringing awareness to something statistically that won't happen? color me unimpressed.
And it takes about 5 seconds to use the search function and see you've called for a "crusade against Islam."

We all have our statistically unlikely problem that we take up the banner for. That's fine. But trying to pick and choose which statistically unlikely problem exists and doesn't exist? No, not so fast.

And I would say the same thing if Kaepernick or Rapinoe rejected that black communities have things they need to work on. I'm not sure I've heard them say that, though.

Either way, it doesn't change whether the problem they're talking about exists or doesn't exist. I'm not going to tell you Islamic terrorism isn't a problem just because you don't think police brutality is a problem.
TXAggie2011
AG
We've all been subjected to numerous outside factors that have had a positive and negative effect on our well-being and how hard we had to work for something, whether we all recognize that or not.

Good day, take care.
PatAg
AG
Go do something in the real world...or just go to the politics board
FW Declerk
quote:
Edit - nevermind.

I forgot who I'm arguing with.
what does that mean?..am I wrong....

some people just love to blame others for their terrible lot in life I guess.
Mathguy64
AG
They interviewed Carli Lloyd before the match. She flat out said this is a distraction and she wasnt happy about it.
BQ_90
AG
I don't think she's a disgrace, but I do believe you don't do **** like this and draw attention away from the team.

Again for,them it's work, how many of you could have a public political display like this and not lose your job
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
I wonder how Heather O'Reilly felt. Her send-off match was all about someone else.
Mathguy64
AG
I didn't see the match but from the write up she went to a knee as the anthem was played and she was allowed to play as well. She was also booed.
sharpdressedman
I wouldn't piss on her if she was burning. Just sayin'.
akm91
AG
quote:

EOT
I disagree with your first two points. There are isolated incidents but it's not an epidemic as it's being made out to be.

I wholeheartedly agree with your last point. Plus, diverting attention away from O'Reiley's last game is just selfish.

byfLuger41
birdman
I'd let her make a spectacle. If she wants to kneel, let her.

Then I'd bring on a sub for her in the first minute and send Rapinoe to the locker room. That long lonely walk back to the locker room would sour anybody from acting like a jackass. Fans would boo and throw garbage at her all the way.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
quote:
I disagree with your first two points. There are isolated incidents but it's not an epidemic as it's being made out to be.
Do you think terrorism is an epidemic?

Regardless, I just dont get why it is such a big deal not to stand during a song? If you do, great. If you dont, doesnt bother me at all.The people getting upset about it are just feeding the fire. If you dont like it, dont acknowledge it. Otherwise, she's getting exactly what she wants.
akm91
AG
quote:
quote:
Didn't realize some athlete was not standing for the national anthem to protest terrorism.

wangus12
AG
quote:

Then I'd bring on a sub for her in the first minute and send Rapinoe to the locker room. That long lonely walk back to the locker room would sour anybody from acting like a jackass. Fans would boo and throw garbage at her all the way.
She isn't good enough to start anyways
akm91
AG
quote:
Regardless, I just dont get why it is such a big deal not to stand during a song? If you do, great. If you dont, doesnt bother me at all.The people getting upset about it are just feeding the fire. If you dont like it, dont acknowledge it. Otherwise, she's getting exactly what she wants.
Poor tastes as a professional athlete but as member of US National Team then it is beyond poor taste. Discussing on Texags.com isn't feeding any fire to the issue.
Carnwellag2
quote:

what would have been great is for the ref to come over to her after the anthem and show her the RED.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Didn't realize some athlete was not standing for the national anthem to protest terrorism.

Who is protesting what and where has nothing to do with whether one or the other is an epidemic or not, or in the original phrasing, an "issue."
akm91
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Who is protesting what and where has nothing to do with whether one or the other is an epidemic or not, or in the original phrasing, an "issue."
From data WaPo's collected:
quote:
For starters, fatal police shootings make up a much larger proportion of white and Hispanic homicide deaths than black homicide deaths. According to the Post database, in 2015 officers killed 662 whites and Hispanics, and 258 blacks. (The overwhelming majority of all those police-shooting victims were attacking the officer, often with a gun.) Using the 2014 homicide numbers as an approximation of 2015's, those 662 white and Hispanic victims of police shootings would make up 12% of all white and Hispanic homicide deaths. That is three times the proportion of black deaths that result from police shootings.
Why aren't Kapernik and Rapinoe protesting blacks killing police at a higher rate than police killing blacks?
quote:
Police officersof all racesare also disproportionately endangered by black assailants. Over the past decade, according to FBI data, 40% of cop killers have been black. Officers are killed by blacks at a rate 2.5 times higher than the rate at which blacks are killed by police.
WSJ Article

As I said earlier, there is no "issue" to protest because most of the highly publicized police brutality has turned out to be not police brutality at all. As many have said, we're not saying it doesn't happen but not what they're making it out to be.

Rapinoe was tweeting about the kid killed in Columbus, OH as an example of police brutality. The kid pointed this at the officers at night:

TXAggie2011
AG
Why are you avoiding the question about terrorism?
TXAggie2011
AG

quote:
As I said earlier, there is no "issue" to protest because most of the highly publicized police brutality has turned out to be not police brutality at all. As many have said, we're not saying it doesn't happen but not what they're making it out to be.

That's not what that means, even if its true most "brutality" wasn't brutality. And I don't really care about Rapinoe's particular thoughts about that particular shooting in Ohio.

I believe the "increased threat" of blacks was addressed somewhat above. There has shown to be weak correlation at best in between violence by blacks and violence by police. If there is a correlation, it comes from police casting the trends of other communities unto their own---which I think almost by definition is stereotyping by police.

I don't know how I can make it any clearer that I believe black communities have work of their own to do. They have problems they need to address.

That does not mean police don't have their own work to do. Here's an all-around thought worth considering, and it applies to how the police interact with everyone, no matter their skin color. Are police effectively doing what they can to deescalate and/or avoid killing folks? Did police do everything they could to avoid shooting dead that 13-year old?

Maybe in this particular case, they did. I don't know. But I think we've seen too many examples of police departments making huge strides to deescalate situations to claim they always, everywhere, do everything reasonably in their power to avoid taking that fatal shot.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.