Rapinoe is a disgrace.

7,890 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by tysker
datrixstunna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wears the US Jersey but disgraces it .
wangus12
AG
Yeah, I thought that was bull***** I've can get over it while they are doing it for their professional clubs and teams, but the moment you put on the Stars and Stripes, you better represent it to the fullest. If you ban Hope Solo for "misrepresenting the team" then this deserves to be up there as well. Not the appropriate stage.
datrixstunna
AG
Ungrateful ****. Would like to see her complaining about she doesnt have in a 3rd world country. Get her off the national team and get someone to who actuallly appreciates the greatness of the USA.
Heisenberg01
AG
Ironic how she has started doing this to show solidarity with Kaepernik, who has all of the sudden started demonstrating the USA since dating a Muslim activivist who has been sympathetic to countries that would immediately beat and kill Rapinoe and any other homosexuals they can find.

The greatest atrocity against the guy community took place in an Orlando night club by a man espousing the same beliefs as Kaepernik fianc (her's are obviously to less extreme degree).

So what has she done to make a difference in actually changing things in the inner city black community? I'd honestly like to know. Does she donate time putting on soccer clinics in inner city schools, money towards developing jobs or outreach programs for those communities? Unfortunately I'm sure the answer begins and ends with disgracing her country on an international scene.
Mathguy64
AG
The statement from US Soccer was short and sweet. You represent the US national team and we expect to stand for the anthem as a member of that team. Club team? Feel free to do what you want. National team? You stand. They got it right. The question is what are they going to do to her if she does it again.
wangus12
AG
6 month ban. This is more embarrassing then Solo. You don't want to represent the USA, you don't play.
tysker
AG
Frankly it's a brilliant career move for her. Now Ellis has to give her a roster spot or she claim discrimination agsint her first amendment rights.

A more interesting question for me is could Sydney LaRoux (Canadian-born) or Jermaine Jones (German born) get away with same protest?
tysker
AG
quote:
So what has she done to make a difference in actually changing things in the inner city black community? I'd honestly like to know. Does she donate time putting on soccer clinics in inner city schools, money towards developing jobs or outreach programs for those communities? Unfortunately I'm sure the answer begins and ends with disgracing her country on an international scene.
She doesnt have time as the USWNT on its gold medal victory tour is continuing to beat up on the world's soccer minnows while on home soil.
Mathguy64
AG
I would tell her straight up she would be dropped from the team. Period. Not a limited ban. Drop her permanently until she agrees to act appropriately on that stage. And make it clear to all players in the pool that the National team is not the place for political statements. No different than the Olympic team. Failure to agree to those team rules before hand and you are dropped until such time as you agree to comply.
byfLuger41
AG
I know what she needs and I'll give it to her.
FW Declerk
quote:

In the anus
byfLuger41
AG
quote:
quote:

In the anus

I'm down with dumpsters.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
doesnt change my opinion of her at all. This is all a side show for stupid people.
byfLuger41
AG
quote:
doesnt change my opinion of her at all. This is all a side show for stupid people.

Pompous
wangus12
AG
She said in the post-match interview, which she gets to do all the time since she's so popular, that she will continue to so it. Actions should be taken, but they won't be
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
byfLuger41
byfLuger41
akm91
AG
quote:
She said in the post-match interview, which she gets to do all the time since she's so popular, that she will continue to so it. Actions should be taken, but they won't be

USSF will now have to take action the next time Rapinoe does this @ a USWNT match.
AG@RICE
AG
The USWNT needs to clean house a bit. Not because of this kneeling crap, but because they lost their edge.

Rapinoe looked like a sack of garbage during the Olympics and should not even have been brought in. I recognize she was coming back from injury, but the older players have historically run the locker room for the USWNT and we always hold on to them waaaayyyy to long.

The manager needs to regain control of this situation and should do so by no longer calling up individuals who are not 100% focused on winning.

I was not a fan of Klinsmann leaving Landon Donovan home during the WC, but it firmly supplanted him on top of the team. Most importantly it reinforces the team identity. Guardiola just did the same thing to Joe Hart. Nobody is greater than the team and everyone needs to buy-in. I dont think the USWNT has buy-in right now. Heads should roll...
Mathguy64
AG
The next match is Sunday. I predict that if she kneels that one way or the other it will be the last time she does it wearing that jersey. USSF made the statement that they expect players to stand. Jill Ellis after the match said the same thing. They don't have to say anything else. If she does it she wont see the field Sunday. Next go around she is just not selected for the 23 woman roster. They don't have to give a reason. Just say they are concentrating on evaluating the players currently on the roster. People are not selected or dropped all the time.
hammerhead
quote:
I would tell her straight up she would be dropped from the team. Period. Not a limited ban. Drop her permanently until she agrees to act appropriately on that stage. And make it clear to all players in the pool that the National team is not the place for political statements. No different than the Olympic team. Failure to agree to those team rules before hand and you are dropped until such time as you agree to comply.
spot on!
Kampfers
AG

quote:
the National team is not the place for political statements. No different than the Olympic team.

Now I tend to agree that there's a major difference between the actions on a club team (or NFL team) vs a national or olympic team.

But lets not act like political statements (and powerful ones at that) haven't been made. The difference in my opinion is that they still stood for the anthem - they gave it respect, but still made a political statement. I think this is more powerful and less controversial as a result.

But the outrage over this is way over the top. Political statements have been made before and will be made again.

Or even worse, drawing attention purely based on monetary and financial reasons rather than social causes. That's never happened before.

quote:
Jordan, the centerpiece of Nike's promotional efforts, had balked at wearing the official United States Olympic Committee awards-ceremony uniform, which was made by Reebok and featured a Reebok patch on the right shoulder.

When the U.S. basketball team took the medal stand yesterday after beating Croatia, 117-85, for the expected gold medal, all 12 players -- half work for Nike -- had unzipped their jackets so that the collars obscured the patch. Jordan, Charles Barkley and Magic Johnson took the extra precaution of carrying an American flag over their right shoulders.
byfLuger41
AG
I totally support the demonstration from the '68 Olympics.

I totally support standing and locking arms.

I do not support kneeling or sitting. Get your ***** ass up or GTFO.

EOT.
Mathguy64
AG
IIRC, after the '68 Olympics it was made clear to US athletes that political statements have no place at the games. Which of course is hypocritical as hell as the politics in '80 and '84 had entire teams held out of the games.
wangus12
AG
The best part is she is protesting the people who pay her nice new salary. I'd cut her check for this game and say adios.
titanmaster_race
I could maybe, maybe understand this from rapinoe if some huge atrocity was just perpetuated by the government.

Instead she's just following in NFL players' shoes, who incidentally only started doing it when they realized they were becoming irrelevant and about to be cut from the team.

**** that noise. If you play for the Stars and Stripes, you stand for the Stars and Stripes.
Mr. White
quote:

quote:
the National team is not the place for political statements. No different than the Olympic team.

Now I tend to agree that there's a major difference between the actions on a club team (or NFL team) vs a national or olympic team.

But lets not act like political statements (and powerful ones at that) haven't been made. The difference in my opinion is that they still stood for the anthem - they gave it respect, but still made a political statement. I think this is more powerful and less controversial as a result.

But the outrage over this is way over the top. Political statements have been made before and will be made again.

Or even worse, drawing attention purely based on monetary and financial reasons rather than social causes. That's never happened before.

quote:
Jordan, the centerpiece of Nike's promotional efforts, had balked at wearing the official United States Olympic Committee awards-ceremony uniform, which was made by Reebok and featured a Reebok patch on the right shoulder.

When the U.S. basketball team took the medal stand yesterday after beating Croatia, 117-85, for the expected gold medal, all 12 players -- half work for Nike -- had unzipped their jackets so that the collars obscured the patch. Jordan, Charles Barkley and Magic Johnson took the extra precaution of carrying an American flag over their right shoulders.

The fists were back when there was a big problem.

Now compared to then is a utopia.
wangus12
AG
quote:
Instead she's just following in NFL players' shoes, who incidentally only started doing it when they realized they were becoming irrelevant and about to be cut from the team.
I'm still absolutely convinced this is why CK was sitting. He was mad he wasn't playing. The national anthem had nothing to do with. He came up with that bull**** on the spot
byfLuger41
AG
+1
LeonardSkinner
As others have said, this is all a big distraction from the important issues, like getting more players into those body paint bikinis.

I kid, of course (but someone should make that happen).

The USWNT needs new blood and new leadership. In the history of the squad, how many women have had 200 or more caps? Eleven, in essentially 30 years of existence. For comparison, the USMNT has eleven players with 100 caps in their 100 year history. The coaches usually come from the same tree. To me, this speaks of inertia and complacency, like they're content with being good without reaching for improvement. That's what leads to a Sweden stalling and defending for 120 minutes and causing the US players and administrators to lose their composure.

Now is the perfect time to shake things up. Bring in young players. A college and high school all star team can beat Thailand 4-1. We don't need to see the near full senior squad putting up 9.
akm91
AG
Ellis could've made a big statement by leaving Rapinoe on the bench last night.
jeffk
AG
Reminds me of the lady clerk who refused to issue marriage certificates to homosexual couples.

The better protest would have been to resign your position and issue a statement of purpose. Instead she, like Rapinoe, accepted a paycheck from an entity they had moral objections with.
akm91
AG
What a selfish thing to do on O'Reilly's final match as a member of USWNT.

jeffk
AG
Her latest tweet is a RT of Shaun King about how the 13 year old was killed by cops.

Doesn't mention how he'd been robbing people at gun point using a realistic-looking bb gun with a laser which he later pulled on cops after running from them.

Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.