Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Briles is gone

18,516 Views | 131 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Citizen Reign
Frederick Palowaski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
blumpkin
AG
Does Sumlin get an extension this week? He's now the 5th best coach in the state instead of the 6th.
cc10106
You don't get to be praised or applauded after allowing a culture of looking the other way and enabling players to rape women, no matter what the stakes were. I can say Baylor did the right thing once their hand was forced, and that's about it. Pretty simple, really.
MrPlow2010
AG
Do you not realize that they tried to ride it out? It isn't the 80s like it was for Penn st. The public knew about these rapes and that's why Baylor is final doing something now
Madman
AG
CE has a long history of ****ting on Texas A&M. He hates us for some reason while wearing an Agtag. Lots of posts on old rivalries stating that we have never accomplished anything. Also has a hard on for OU.
BMX Bandit
Baylor did do the right thing.

But only after doing the wrong thing for a long time.

tosull
"Well... Bye"- tombstone
strbrst777
Why wouldn't Herman( or any coach of a mid-major) give it serious consideration for around $4 million/year and a four year deal? Baylor is not an upstart. Baylor has lots of talent, recruits well and has new stadium. Waiting around for something that might-or might not-happen makes little sense to me.
Texas 1836
AG
quote:
No, come to find out Joe Paterno knew what was going on for years and did nothing. That is what I am talking about. Baylor could have ridden this out. They chose not to.
They rode it as long as they could ...
Texas 1836
AG
quote:
Check or arrest record men. Check the number of times we have been on probation. Look up the number of posters on this site that are now saying to start cheating again,

Baylor caught magic in a bottle. Now they are Baylor again. And they did it by choice. They could have covered this up. Instead, they are cleaning house.
You know why our list it longer?

Because nobody gave a crap about Baylor when they weren't a threat.

Ask SMU what happens when you start winning.

Baylor started winning, the competition quit overlooking their sorriness
bnago
AG
quote:
Think what you want ETFan. You can be as clever as you like. But Baylor today stood taller than A&M ever has.

Unless you're joking, that's absolutely the biggest pile of whale dung that's been posted on this site in years...
TV Casualty
AG
quote:
No, come to find out Joe Paterno knew what was going on for years and did nothing. That is what I am talking about. Baylor could have ridden this out. They chose not to.

It doesn't take 20 years of looking the other way for it to be a cover up. If it was only one rape allegation that was ignored then that would be bad enough. Baylor rode out multiple allegations for years under Briles. It became public a year ago and blew up these last couple of months.

I'm not so sure that this was going to just blow over. There were various media outlets that were picking this up and calling for Briles to be fired. Locally Dale Hansen called them out on the air asking for Briles to be fired and questioning if they really stand behind their Christian values.

The very fact that Baylor is a Christian University is why the matter would not likely be dropped locally. Baylor would have severely damaged their reputation as a Christian University if they chose to stand behind Briles and the current football culture.

cc10106
quote:
Check or arrest record men. Check the number of times we have been on probation. Look up the number of posters on this site that are now saying to start cheating again,

Baylor caught magic in a bottle. Now they are Baylor again. And they did it by choice. They could have covered this up. Instead, they are cleaning house.
No one's acting like A&M is pearly white, but there is a clear difference between what was tolerated between the 2 schools. Think about how many players that aren't on the team now because they couldn't handle their business.

If they didn't act, then they would have been screwed and back to the bottom with sanctions. Don't be naive.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
to CE1994 points All of A&M probation/problems ( except the stupid Fran newsletter) were more than 20 years ago( The last major one was the Greg Hill paying). A&M's compliance office in terms of these things is what other universities come to A&M and see how to do it. We have been considered hardline on more things than title IX in the last 20 years.

schmellba99
AG
quote:
You have a very selective time frame that you must be looking at here.

Baylor CHOSE to cover up multiple incidents for quite some time. The only reason they "chose" to fire Starr and Briles is simply because they finally painted themselves in a position that there was no other alternative that didn't 100% guarantee NCAA and possibly Big ?? sanctions.

In all honesty, their entire hope right now is that by reassigning Starr and "firing" Briles that the NCAA will either severely reduce sanctions or possibly decide that Baylor's self punishment is enough and let it go. They are mitigating damage, nothing more, nothing less. This is not about being noble or doing the right thing, so quit making it out as if they are one some type of crusade to prove to the world that they deserve to look down on the rest of us, because that is wholly a figment of your imagination and a product of their delusion.

Ask yourself this - had the media not begun to investigate the multiple claims about Baylor and their football program, would Briles be let go? (Hint: the answer is "no").
who?mikejones
AG
quote:
In steps Tom Herman....

Nope. He has bigger fish to catch.
SethPistol
AG
CE,

Your "us Christians" post was a bit self righteous, I think was ET's point.

But right in line for most Christians in Texas that I know

Texas 1836
AG
quote:
And the reason they chose not to is because the investigation results were shown to them.

Starr and briles were ballast off a sinking ship.

And the investigation didn't reveal some hidden info to baylor, I guaranty is said, "here's what we found that you knew."

So don't give those hypocrites credit where it isn't due
Texas 1836
AG
quote:
Why wouldn't Herman( or any coach of a mid-major) give it serious consideration for around $4 million/year and a four year deal? Baylor is not an upstart. Baylor has lots of talent, recruits well and has new stadium. Waiting around for something that might-or might not-happen makes little sense to me.
Why would they?

Briles had success in large part to recruiting criminals and suspect offensive strategy.

One technique that I believe they just made a rule about was how far their lineman could go downfield. That was going to change things for them a lot

And now the admin is going to tell the coach they can't bring in rapists, so there goes their edge
Citizen Reign
quote:
quote:
In steps Tom Herman....

Are you serious?

Why would Herman waste his time on little old Baylor when he might be able to choose between the two big Texas schools in a year or two?
Baylor could pay him what the horns or Ags could. It's more of a ... why would he want to step into the hot mess that Briles, Starr, and the AD left?
Emilio Fantastico
AG
quote:
quote:
Why would they?

Briles had success in large part to recruiting criminals and suspect offensive strategy.

One technique that I believe they just made a rule about was how far their lineman could go downfield. That was going to change things for them a lot

And now the admin is going to tell the coach they can't bring in rapists, so there goes their edge
Don't forget their laughable schedule that also contributed to Briles' success at Baylor.
ce1994
AG
My initial comment I thought it was more self-deprecating but if it came off otherwise then I apologize. It was not intended as holier than thou.
rainbow_aggie
Does this mean sip recruiting will get better???
Texas 1836
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Why would they?

Don't forget their laughable schedule that also contributed to Briles' success at Baylor.
True
Citizen Reign
quote:
Think what you want ETFan. You can be as clever as you like. But Baylor today stood taller than A&M ever has.
so firing based on public pressure is standing taller that A&M ever has? what a joke statement!
RadAg14
AG
Wish it happened sooner
ce1994
AG
If they Board of Regents knew exactly what was happening and did nothing that is one thing. Briles covering this up make him on of many scum bags that took the money and ran. But Baylor is now turning their back on millions of dollars.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
Why are people shocked about this? Baylor just told the country "There is more to life than winning football games". And if they go 0-12 next year I applaud them. Hell, I am buying one of their hats right now on amazon.
Funny think about us Christians. We may be slow to find the right path. But we find it. And we are not forced to to do it.
You'll need this one.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
If they Board of Regents knew exactly what was happening and did nothing that is one thing. Briles covering this up make him on of many scum bags that took the money and ran. But Baylor is now turning their back on millions of dollars.

It took them two years and the entire media to force them to do this. They don't deserve to be applauded in any way.
Texas 1836
AG
quote:
So an external investigation turned up more than internal one??

That would be a first
I already have a dog
AG
quote:
some of y'all have the debating skills of a 5 year old. ce1994 had an honest opinion and it's an argument that's way more complex than most realize.

Nobody's saying he doesn't have an "honest opinion". They are pointing out the utter stupidity of the opinion he honestly holds. If we aren't following formal debate rules it is likely because this is a sports blog on the Internet.

And no, the argument is not that complex.
ce1994
AG
Fine. Shut the University down today. Fire everyone. Burn Waco to the ground. Murder everyone that is associated with them so the seed won't grow. I HATE BAYLOR. I HATE BAYLOR PEOPLE. I HATE BEARS.
BMX Bandit
Speaking of acting like a 5 year old....
jb6092
I agree this was the right move and one I did not expect Baylor to take, but I also think the foundation Briles built will withstand the test of time. They will be able to attract a quality coach, the issue will be how much recruiting hurts in the short term. Can they get a coach in, get a staff in place and save their season remains to be seen. At least they have some time to convince current recruits to stay open minded. Either way, props to BU for doing the right thing and also not dragging this out any longer. Now they can start putting proper procedures in place to ensure this does not recur.
TexAgs91
AG
I'd say Baylor needs Strong to help turn their program around, but I'm happy Strong is where he's at now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.