Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Sick of this holier than thou bull$h!t

15,446 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by milner79
aeon-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Gimme a freaking break. A bunch of football players acting like they never went out on a bye week and never did anything the least bit questionable.

Ray Lewis...hypocrite much??
Ray Lewis is not an intelligent or intellectual heavy weight. Consider the source.
TXM Pride
Johnny may not have his diploma, but the guy is sharp as a nail. Look how he handled the media every time a "scandal" came up in college. Whether it was autographs or oversleeping the manning camp he was able to turn on the charm and say all the right things. It takes intelligence and wit to be able to do that. Also, look at when ESPN had him guest commentate portions of the MNC as well as the Gruden QB camp. He knows what to say and how to say it. Johnny may not be a likable guy to those who don't know him, but I promise you he can change those perceptions within 15 minutes of meeting someone.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
Johnny may not have his diploma, but the guy is sharp as a nail. Look how he handled the media every time a "scandal" came up in college. Whether it was autographs or oversleeping the manning camp he was able to turn on the charm and say all the right things. It takes intelligence and wit to be able to do that. Also, look at when ESPN had him guest commentate portions of the MNC as well as the Gruden QB camp. He knows what to say and how to say it. Johnny may not be a likable guy to those who don't know him, but I promise you he can change those perceptions within 15 minutes of meeting someone.

so you slept with him, huh?
WILDMAN95
AG
quote:
quote:
Winson's accuser goes public and no one talked about it. I don't condone what Johnny has been doing but everyone saying the NFL is hypocritical are spot on. Don't know why some people get by with whatever and others are the subject of scrutiny.
QB is held to a higher standard.
Um, which one is not a QB?
AggieNiebs
AG
quote:
Okay. The NFL may now consist only of players who never drink, smoke, or have any vice, and also have only ever always told the truth.

In a related story, the remainder of the NFL season has been canceled.
Its ok to commit ACTUAL crimes though!
TXM Pride
Cute. But no. Just because you're old af, and probably didn't pull much ass in college, don't act like Johnny isn't a smart guy. You're probably just another one of these old jealous geezers judging him for doing the s#!t they wish they could do.
Bogey1996
I don't think what he did on his off week is worth a damn, but some of you act like he does not have a past. His rookie year was horrendous and he admits to not being prepared. Maybe after he went to rehab, the browns said no more slip ups. He screwed up with his fight with his girlfriend and admitted drinking. They probably gave him a pass, but Johnny himself felt the need to cover up this video and say it was old so he knew it was not good. Being demoted for this one video is ridiculous, but when you factor in the past and Johnny trying to cover up leads me to believe he earned it. Needs to prove he is a good QB in this league before slip ups are overlooked.
Buck Compton
AG
quote:
quote:
Okay. The NFL may now consist only of players who never drink, smoke, or have any vice, and also have only ever always told the truth.

In a related story, the remainder of the NFL season has been canceled.
Its ok to commit ACTUAL crimes though!
In football, especially the NFL, winning is King. Win and everything else goes away. If you do something that jeopardizes winning, you WILL be ostracized. What he has done is no worse (not even close) than Lewis, Hardy, Rice, etc. but his can be directly tied (in many people's minds) to lack of preparation and losing football games. He doesn't have a proven history in the NFL.

True or not, that is the perception among his coaches, who control this kind of thing. Probably by some players too. Given he was already picked on and not necessarily a media darling, it's an easy stack of **** to pile on. He has still done it to himself With his complete lack of awareness of these authority figures' feelings.
EliteZags
AG
Hey Ray you're allowed to criticize Aaron Hernandez that's about it
mt3950
AG
quote:
I respect Steve Young. I think he doesn't like that Johnny wasn't more focused on his job when he was handed the starting job

And he's correct.
Ragoo
AG
Just imagine if Johnny was taking steroids or snorting cocaine in the locker room.
zephyr88
AG
quote:
Gimme a freaking break. A bunch of football players acting like they never went out on a bye week and never did anything the least bit questionable.

Mostly Peaceful
First off, Ray Lewis murdered someone, so I'm in agreement with everyone's thoughts on his advice for Johnny.

But come on guys. Johnny was in REHAB not that long ago. The majority here doesn't seem to think it's a problem at all that he's still partying. Obviously Johnny knows it's a problem, or he wouldn't have lied about it. It's not being 'holier than thou' to tell an alcoholic I can drink, but you can't.

I'm actually thankful for what the browns are going to Johnny. I think worst case scenario for him would be to play right now, do well, and have the browns stick with him for the future. Hopefully he grows up as a result of this, and gets traded or cut from the disaster of an organization he's in right now.
Ragoo
AG
Since when has the NFL been about protecting players from themselves? Answer: never

Hope that helps.
diehard03
quote:
The message is clear If Johnny was one of the all time greats, he could kill someone and get away with it.

If you barely have a QBR over 50, you can't even drink on YouTube...

The truth. If you suck, then everyone gets mad when you aren't trying to get better all the time. If you are awesome, no one really cares what you do.
greg.w.h
AG
Johnny solicited being in this mess on draft day...
Mostly Peaceful
quote:
Since when has the NFL been about protecting players from themselves? Answer: never

Hope that helps.
Oh okay, thanks man.
zephyr88
AG
quote:
Johnny solicited being in this mess on draft day...
hmmm, "on draft day" - explain...
brotheraggie
Bad Bull
roginaustin
S
quote:
First off, Ray Lewis murdered someone, so I'm in agreement with everyone's thoughts on his advice for Johnny.

But come on guys. Johnny was in REHAB not that long ago. The majority here doesn't seem to think it's a problem at all that he's still partying. Obviously Johnny knows it's a problem, or he wouldn't have lied about it. It's not being 'holier than thou' to tell an alcoholic I can drink, but you can't.

I'm actually thankful for what the browns are going to Johnny. I think worst case scenario for him would be to play right now, do well, and have the browns stick with him for the future. Hopefully he grows up as a result of this, and gets traded or cut from the disaster of an organization he's in right now.

You're making 2 assumptions about his rehab stint that we're not qualified to make. First, was he in rehab for alcohol or for other drugs? Second, does he truly have a problem, or did he go to rehab because our society views people who party as alcoholics, and his image makers and agent said it was a good strategy?
ABATTBQ87
AG
50 years ago there was another pretty good QB who enjoyed women and alcohol:

http://drunkard.com/issues/01_07/01_07_broadway_joe.html
88jrt06
AG
quote:

If he's so intelligent, charming, witty and handles the media so well.....with all those extraordinary talents, and a previous commitment to start as an NFL QB, how come his butt is glued to the bench.....again?

It couldn't be that he's immature, self-obsessed and, ultimately self-destructive, no? NO, it's Ray Lewis' fault, or
*fill in the blank's* fault.

Joe Namath played 50 years ago. Times changed decades ago. Silly analogy.

Johnny ruined this season for himself, and likely made even more teams skittish about giving him a chance next year. I don't give a damn about who's been in jail, and who hasn't. Point that matters: He's blowing what most ever college QB ever dreamed of; that's on him, only. I hope he gets another solid chance, and if he needs more rehab (I don't know), then I hope he gets it.

Slow motion car wrecks are hard to watch when you very much like the driver.
Post removed:
by user
ABATTBQ87
AG

quote:
Why is it silly when it is accurate?

I don't condone his actions but it's not like Johnny Manziel is the first player in NFL history to act this way, and he shouldn't be so heavily scrutinized
88jrt06
AG
quote:

quote:

I don't condone his actions but it's not like Johnny Manziel is the first player in NFL history to act this way, and he shouldn't be so heavily scrutinized
It's silly because you skipped over the key part. I bolded it for you.
"He shouldn't be...." as you say, is just irrelevant. It's a social media world -21st century- and it is what it is.
No pity-parties for players who won't adapt. Your messes are are now common knowledge, as we see.
So, Joe Namath, Stabler, et al were lucky, I guess. No way they get away with it today....and today is when JFF
plays (or sits).
DallasAg 94
quote:

I've often thought JFF was a lot like Broadway Joe...

zephyr88
AG
quote:
Now imagine he's not white....
truth
zephyr88
AG
quote:
quote:

I've often thought JFF was a lot like Broadway Joe...

yeah, but i bet Johnny could have sealed the deal... even with a lesbian...
DallasAg 94
quote:
quote:

If he's so intelligent, charming, witty and handles the media so well.....with all those extraordinary talents, and a previous commitment to start as an NFL QB, how come his butt is glued to the bench.....again?

It couldn't be that he's immature, self-obsessed and, ultimately self-destructive, no? NO, it's Ray Lewis' fault, or
*fill in the blank's* fault.

Johnny ruined this season for himself, and likely made even more teams skittish about giving him a chance next year. I don't give a damn about who's been in jail, and who hasn't. Point that matters: He's blowing what most ever college QB ever dreamed of; that's on him, only. I hope he gets another solid chance, and if he needs more rehab (I don't know), then I hope he gets it.

Slow motion car wrecks are hard to watch when you very much like the driver.

Your pious attitude ought to get out more.

If the NFL gave two ****s about the players you wouldn't have them doling out tons of money for concussions. Big Ben had one this weekend and is expected to play Sunday. It is still an ongoing issue.

If the NFL gave two ****s about their players, they would guarantee contract money.
If the NFL cared one iota about their players, you wouldn't see 50% of them bankrupt.

If the NFL cared about character... people like Greg Hardy and Jameis Winston would never play in the NFL.

If Pettitine spent half as much time preparing his team to play, as he does riding JFF's media circus, they'd be undefeated and favored for the Super Bowl.

Pettitine is trying to mask his failure as a coach by pushing things on JFF. Before the game they showed 4 1st round picks that the Browns needed to determine if they are capable, and JFF wasn't one of them... So they have at least 5 1st Rd picks that are under performing for 2015.
DallasAg 94
quote:
quote:

quote:

It's silly because you skipped over the key part. I bolded it for you.
"He shouldn't be...." as you say, is just irrelevant. It's a social media world -21st century- and it is what it is.
No pity-parties for players who won't adapt. Your messes are are now common knowledge, as we see.
So, Joe Namath, Stabler, et al were lucky, I guess. No way they get away with it today....and today is when JFF
plays (or sits).
Michael Vick... Jameis Winston... Tony Romo... Michael Irving...

Maybe you should get out more... here is a link you might enjoy... The times haven't changed.
Stallion99
AG
quote:

wait! this is totally different. Ray Lewis only lied to police [convicted] after boozing it up at a bar with his buddies. There is no evidence he lied to his coaches!

Deadwood
AG
Hey, Jameis Winston is an up and coming NFL QB. He learned from his minor youthful indiscretions such as rape, theft, standing on a table and shouting obscenities in the student union, etc. All childhood high jinks.

Meanwhile, Johnny is heinously and criminally going to bars and having a drink in his off hours.

You people need to learn!
Amazing Moves
quote:

They sounded just like the disgusting sanctimonious Ags spewing the same crap last week.
oysterbayAG
AG
I believe Johnny got 32 on the Wonderlic,which is at the level of a Chemical Engineer. Pettine appears to be at the level of a Sanitation Worker.
Citizen Reign
Here is how it works.

If the offense is serious, ESPN and the NFL only give it enough attention to make sure everyone knows they have acknowledged it.

If the offense is minor, ESPN and the NFL milk it for all the clicks and eyeballs they can get. ESPN likes it best when it's someone that they have spent time and resources building up. That way they can get their guy coming and going.

Regardless of the saying, not all PR is good PR.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.