Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Adidas contract

16,480 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brick Tamland
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why would Nike pay us what they pay the horns? They sell a lot more stuff
aggiebrad94
AG
And to one of your points - very few schools had more than 2 uniform combinations. That didn't become popular until Oregon went all Oregon.
jeffk
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
The Adidas contract ended yesterday or today. The new contract with them has already been signed.

It technically ended last summer and Cook said we are still negotiating contracts as of a few months ago
Clint Dempsey with the 12th Man Foundation said today at a luncheon that the contract just ended and the new one was already signed. I just can't remember if he said it ended yesterday or today.

This guy told you that?

Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
quote:
No one is buying your Nike tales; especially when the "proof" that they hated us was that Texas got more money and cooler stuff.
Nike basically told us that they wouldn't match us with UT's deal because "you're not as good as Texas and you never will be", at which point we promptly went to Adidas. The biggest irony of that is the last year of Nike in 2006 we beat Texas in Austin, then we beat them first year with Adidas in College Station.

don't know why you put that in quotes as I highly doubt that exact wording was used... "... and you never will be" sounds very unprofessional and more like the fan phone game being played over the years.

They probably just said something about market analysis indicating Texas had a bigger brand presence, which it does.

Before I wore strictly Nike, now because of the Addidas - A&M affiliation, I use both.
jeffk
AG
If you guys don't like what adidas is outfitting our teams with, talk to the athletic department. It's not like adidas just ships is whatever they decide we should wear and we have to fall in line.

Our Nike uniforms looked like hammered crap anyway - wrong maroon, stupid tie-dyed collars, beveled logo. Not saying they would do that now, but let's not pretend that everything was awesome with Nike.
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
Why can't Adidas sell the same quality stuff they provide to the football team? Adidas stuff in the store is not even comparable to Nike and Under Armour merchandise. Adidas has been great to the football team and designing cool uniforms, but man their merchandise sucks ass.
This. adidas has yet to come out with something I want to buy.
HTownAg
AG
Was in Aggieland Outfitters last week and was told by several employees that, under the new Adidas contract, ONLY Adidas merchandise can be sold no more Nike or Under Armour Texas A&M gear.

It that's true that's just awful.
Brick Tamland
quote:
quote:
Why can't Adidas sell the same quality stuff they provide to the football team? Adidas stuff in the store is not even comparable to Nike and Under Armour merchandise. Adidas has been great to the football team and designing cool uniforms, but man their merchandise sucks ass.
This. adidas has yet to come out with something I want to buy.
You can buy the workout shorts, shirts, polos, pullovers, sweatshirts, sweatpants, hats, and shoes that the team wears. You can find the cleats and gloves online. Hell, adidas.com is selling the iced down jersey right now. You can literally get everything the team wears, except the game day pants.
The Collective
AG
quote:
Was in Aggieland Outfitters last week and was told by several employees that, under the new Adidas contract, ONLY Adidas merchandise can be sold no more Nike or Under Armour Texas A&M gear.

I was worried this might happen.
bruh
AG
I honestly feel like in terms of what the younger age demographic and most recruits want looks like: Nike > UA > Adidas. I know it is a money issue and that Nike "burned" us almost 10 years ago, but you'd think with us trying to become next level in facilities, coaching, etc. we would want that same edge in apparel. Also with the latest push to make the A&M brand stronger, why wouldn't we want to go with one of the most dinguishable atheletic brands in the world? Just a thought.
Capt. America
AG
quote:

I might have been one of them. That's the only thing that I'm not a fan of with this new contract.
TXAG 05
AG
That is very bad news if true. I have some Aggie Underarmour polos that are better looking and better quality than anything adidas has even thought about coming out with.
Brick Tamland
The biggest issue here is, did we get paid at least close to Louisville?
Velvet Jones
AG
LOL at athletic apparel fanboyism.
aezmvp
I started at A&M in 2000. The Nike gear was crap. The uniforms were flat out terrible. Does anyone remember that tie-dye collars and rings on the jerseys? Please compare to what we've worn with Addidas. Sorry no sale.
firethewagonup
It has been confirmed through unnamed sources that once the Adidas contract is over we will be receiving a new contract from Puma and Skechers...

NewWaveDave
AG
Jordache or GTFO!
Triad
AG
Idiots
aggiealltheway
AG
quote:
This guy told you that?

It that's the Associate Vice President of Major Gifts and Planned Giving for the 12th Man Foundation, then yes. ...but it doesn't really look like him.

https://www.12thmanfoundation.com/major-gifts/major-gifts-staff.aspx
Ringo88
AG
Take. The. Money.
Nike never did us any favors; the money was blah, the uniforms were blah, and they belong squarely in the crosshairs of anyone here who feels so strongly about the changes our logo went through. It's stupid to hang your hat on an apparel brand; we're giving them the opportunity to make sales through ours. Look to professional sports as a Marketing 101 example; at one point, the official NFL brand was Wilson, then Reebok. They took the money, and helped design and dictate the product. People aren't going to buy ugly A&M apparel just because it's Nike or Adidas; the same people will buy sharp A&M apparel regardless of brand.

While I will agree with the desire for even better retail product from Adidas, there are constructive ways to go about expressing that desire without regressing into a mentality that we should follow the pack and go with Nike. My young sports-crazy sons love Under Armour because of the "cool logo shirt" in every color; they assume the brand has always been around. They don't know/ don't care that they entered the market via millions made in specialty compression wear. My sons now wear Adidas stuff via the A&M connection. That's what Adidas wants, to build their pool of future customers. They just need to continue working on their design aspects in order to increase sales.
Speedystooth
AG
Well here's a history lesson for all you youngsters. Our defense went in the suck the day we started wearing Adidas. Coincidence? I don't think so.
Hitler did what he had to do.

Old Wooden Ship
AG
quote:

This is bs. I love my Nike A&M dri fit polos. Way better than the crap adidas has.
Aston04
AG
Nike and UA are light years ahead of adidas in terms of marketability. For example, the adidas store at my local (middle america average) oulet mall is a ghost town and actually discounts their stuff. Mean time, nike and ua are seemingly always mobbed and hardly discount much of value in comparison. Kids seem to especially love ua.

I get nike is in bed with texas and gave us a bad deal last time. But at some point we should at least consider moving over to ua if the money is in the same ballpark.
Buford T. Justice
AG
We are fools for sticking with Adidas.
The world has changed quite a bit since the old days of "Nike favoring the Longhorns." Yes, that was true then, but I highly doubt that would be the case any longer. Especially if we had a rep at the table that was a good negotiator.

At the very least, engage in talks with Nike and UA.
To pass up that leverage point, (if that was indeed the case), would be very short-sighted and selling our programs short.

Personally, I think the overall Adidas collection is awful. Not just ours, but all Adidas teams.

farmer95
AG
If you are going to supply team gear, its pretty important to at least get the right color. Nike couldn't seem to master that. At least Adidas has gotten the maroon right.
jeffk
AG
quote:

I get nike is in bed with texas and gave us a bad deal last time. But at some point we should at least consider moving over to ua if the money is in the same ballpark.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-09-08/business/bs-bz-under-armour-beats-adidas-20140908_1_armour-ceo-kevin-plank-market-leader-nike

UA has made some pretty smart investments and business decisions the last couple of years. Obviously, they were in on the early athletic apparel surge and have continued to grow make gains in other markets. They have really been pushing their brand with women and youth. They are also huge in hunting and outdoor apparel which was a huge market not being explored by Nike or adidas. They've also landed some pretty high profile athletes in the last year. The only area they really lag behind the other two in my opinion is shoes. I go through a lot athletic shoes yearly and the UA offerings are still a distant third behind Nike and adidas.

From the standpoint of our athletic department though, does brand really matter? Most purchasers of college apparel are going to buy it based on the school, not the brand, right? As long as the company is paying us fair market value and they're not producing substandard stuff, should the AD choose a company based in marketability? We as fans have our preferences, but how much of a difference in sales does that make and how much of that revenue difference is felt by the school anyway?
jeffk
AG
Nike does have a normal maroon now, so they have that going for them.
ToddyHill
AG
quote:
After seeing Tennessee's new Nike uniforms today, just out of curiousity when does our contract with Adidas end?

All is not well in Volnation. Due to Nike's 'gender neutral' policy, Tennessee athletics had to forgo the use of the term 'Lady Vols' for all of their female athletics except basketball. This clearly has not been well received by the UT faithful...only 20% approve of this move.

While the uniforms have been embraced, the locals are not pleased the UT Athletic Department accepted these terms.

So goes the collegiate history in lieu of $$$$.
farmer95
AG
quote:
quote:
After seeing Tennessee's new Nike uniforms today, just out of curiousity when does our contract with Adidas end?

All is not well in Volnation. Due to Nike's 'gender neutral' policy, Tennessee athletics had to forgo the use of the term 'Lady Vols' for all of their female athletics except basketball. This clearly has not been well received by the UT faithful...only 20% approve of this move.

While the uniforms have been embraced, the locals are not pleased the UT Athletic Department accepted these terms.

Interesting. Why would Nike even care?
Sex Panther
AG

quote:
Thanks for the history lesson, brah! That biased, Longhorn obsession driven view on Nike sounds about like the spin that American textbooks put on World War II, proclaiming that we had to jump in and take care of business because the Nazis were pure evil- when in reality the Germans were a war-loathing people who only built up a superior war machine because the Russians and French were colluding to invade the Rhineland through proxies in Austria, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Finland, and the other countries Germany was forced to take over for defensive purposes; all while using Jews as human body shields and then blaming the deaths on the Germans.

Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:

Heard a little about this. While I think this is ridiculous on Nike's part, I'm guessing they laid it out there on the table in front of them. The University should've refused this stipend and walked if Nike wasn't willing to accommodate. It's on Tennessee... and I know that's a big part of their identity. I'd be pissed if I was a Vol.
agracer
AG
Nike sold more tu crap than any other school/team/whatever in the early 2000's...so it's to be expected they'd give them what they want. And that comes from a family member who used to work for Nike.

Obviously that is not true today.
HTownAg
AG
quote:
Nike and UA are light years ahead of adidas in terms of marketability. For example, the adidas store at my local (middle america average) oulet mall is a ghost town and actually discounts their stuff. Mean time, nike and ua are seemingly always mobbed and hardly discount much of value in comparison. Kids seem to especially love ua.

And quality
Add look, durability, etc.
PooDoo
AG
I guess they aren't selling their crap at Lady Footlocker anymore either...
ToddyHill
AG
quote:
Heard a little about this. While I think this is ridiculous on Nike's part, I'm guessing they laid it out there on the table in front of them. The University should've refused this stipend and walked if Nike wasn't willing to accommodate. It's on Tennessee... and I know that's a big part of their identity. I'd be pissed if I was a Vol.

You are spot on. It would appear the UT Athletic Department's decision doesn't sit well with the alumni.

http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/football/experts-mixed-on-uts-branding-changes_00709098

For what it's worth, the local sports radio station here in Knoxville attempted to interview the UT AD. He declined their request.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.