Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Adidas contract

16,474 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brick Tamland
farmer95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sorry, but I struggle to understand. Maybe I'm just getting too old. I have tons of Nike and Adidas stuff and I perceive no appreciable difference in quality, workmanship, or general appearance. They both make things I like a lot and stuff that I wouldn't wear if it was free.

Perhaps I underestimate the minds of recruits these days. I get it somewhat with Oregon in that their identity is wrapped up in the Nike brand, but for the Tennessee's and A&M's of the world, I don't see why all the hand wringing and brand trashing is justified. It just doesn't compute for me for a school to change their nicknames for the lady's teams and to do it for less $, just so they can wear different shirts/shoes that look exactly alike anyways.

Motel California
S
I think everyone on texags should get angry over what brand of clothing A&M uses
clobby
AG
Starter
BBRex
AG
I really miss buying "cool" Nike gear, then having it bleed all over itself. Maroon, white and pink. Whoop!
Ringo88
AG
BBRex.
evan_aggie
AG
quote:
Sorry, but I struggle to understand. Maybe I'm just getting too old. I have tons of Nike and Adidas stuff and I perceive no appreciable difference in quality, workmanship, or general appearance. They both make things I like a lot and stuff that I wouldn't wear if it was free.

Perhaps I underestimate the minds of recruits these days. I get it somewhat with Oregon in that their identity is wrapped up in the Nike brand, but for the Tennessee's and A&M's of the world, I don't see why all the hand wringing and brand trashing is justified. It just doesn't compute for me for a school to change their nicknames for the lady's teams and to do it for less $, just so they can wear different shirts/shoes that look exactly alike anyways.

Capt. America
AG
So, some of you want Under Armour or Nike?

jeffk
AG
Neon!
Old Wooden Ship
AG
Adidas is ass
gigem70
AG
My two cents, Nike sucks.
TX scallywAG
AG
Do Nike fanboys forget them putting "11 is enough" inside whorn gear when they played us??? Of course a negative reference to the 12th man.

I specifically remember seeing inside their jersey collar in a photo.

Eff em. Under Armor or Adidas.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
SlackerAg
AG
Michigan's switching from Adidas to Nike:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25234291/report-michigan-expected-to-make-switch-from-adidas-to-nike
MagnumLoad
quote:
quote:
Little history lesson for you new Ags.

Back in the day A&M had Nike and t.u. also had Nike. Nike consistently showed favoritism to t.u. in little ways. For example, the t.u. shoes had little longhorn logos on them and they wouldn't do that for us. Plus the money we got was like half of what t.u. got or something stupid.

So, can't remember when exactly - early 2000s I think, we split with Nike and signed with Adidas.

BTW - with Nike we never had any 'secondary' uniform combinations. No all whites or Texas on the helmet. All very blah. Barely above what a high school got.

Thanks for the history lesson, brah! That biased, Longhorn obsession driven view on Nike sounds about like the spin that American textbooks put on World War II, proclaiming that we had to jump in and take care of business because the Nazis were pure evil- when in reality the Germans were a war-loathing people who only built up a superior war machine because the Russians and French were colluding to invade the Rhineland through proxies in Austria, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Finland, and the other countries Germany was forced to take over for defensive purposes; all while using Jews as human body shields and then blaming the deaths on the Germans.

No one is buying your Nike tales; especially when the "proof" that they hated us was that Texas got more money and cooler stuff.
Sprechen sie deutsch?
roginaustin
S
With Michigan switching, will we become their highest paid school?
The Collective
AG
quote:
With Michigan switching, will we become their highest paid school?

Will we brag about it when we are the only Adidas school left?
bruh
AG
My main question though hasn't really been answered. Did we sign a new contract extension or not? And why has nothing been announced? Are we trying to get leverage or still exploring our options?
Old Wooden Ship
AG
Adidas gets A&M
Brick Tamland
Not even top 5 right now, but our new deal should be released this year
turboboost
AG
quote:
Little history lesson for you new Ags.

Back in the day A&M had Nike and t.u. also had Nike. Nike consistently showed favoritism to t.u. in little ways. For example, the t.u. shoes had little longhorn logos on them and they wouldn't do that for us. Plus the money we got was like half of what t.u. got or something stupid.

So, can't remember when exactly - early 2000s I think, we split with Nike and signed with Adidas.

BTW - with Nike we never had any 'secondary' uniform combinations. No all whites or Texas on the helmet. All very blah. Barely above what a high school got.

The very reason nike gets "nunamyfundz"!
Southlake Ag
AG
quote:
I honestly feel like in terms of what the younger age demographic and most recruits want looks like: Nike > UA > Adidas. I know it is a money issue and that Nike "burned" us almost 10 years ago, but you'd think with us trying to become next level in facilities, coaching, etc. we would want that same edge in apparel. Also with the latest push to make the A&M brand stronger, why wouldn't we want to go with one of the most dinguishable atheletic brands in the world? Just a thought.
adidas say hi from all of the soccer and track teams around the world.
Southlake Ag
AG
8 year deal worth $41MM. What I don't know how much cash versus apparel each year. adidas' numbers will reflect the apparel as the wholesale value versus the retail value. Wholesale value is usually 50% of the retail value. So A&M will be getting an average of $5MM plus per year - with the caveat that we don't know the actual numbers until we determine the mix of cash and apparel.

fyi, in the past, Nike would use their retail value of apparel in their numbers.

Bottom line - A&M is getting more money, apparel, etc from adidas. Just like the last contract.

zmurda
quote:
adidas say hi from all of the soccer and track teams around the world.
what are you talking about? why don't you actually take a look at the list of nike/adidas track and soccer teams around the world before you speak. Also, look at the list of individually sponsored athletes in these sports.

Adidas does not know how to make a dry fit garment. They just can't get it right. Their performance gear pales in comparison to Nike, UA and even non-mainstream brands. The fit is terrible, the moisture-wicking is barely existent. Freaking hate adidas.
zmurda
and 8 year 41MM...not impressed. that's just over 5MM a year. UM just left and was making 8.2MM/yr. With UT and UM leaving, we should be up towards that 8MM number considering who's left.
Brick Tamland
Then stock up on Nike and UA gear from the store and stop *****ing. Nobody is keeping you from buying Nike branded A&M stuff right now.
Brick Tamland
Nike at AO

Nike at MaroonU

Nike at MSC Bookstore

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.