Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Post here if Sumlin was your first choice candidate for HC

15,903 Views | 179 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AggnHou
Ol Waco Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Actually he was my first choice when we got rid of Little Debbie
GARBQ84
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
1st choice last time..2nd choice behind Spurrier the hire before that.
CosmicMaskedAvenger
AG
I wanted Richt or Smart over Sumlin, but I wasn't overly upset with the selection.
Toothdoc86
AG
In Sumlin I trust!
Juan Fuqua
Above my pay grade... I did not have a preference as long as we win.. Did think Sumlin would be a good choice though
JRB78
AG
I don't know that he was my first choice, but I felt he could succeed. I remembered the immediate impact he had when RC promoted him to coordinator.

The biggest surprise to me is the swagger he brought back to Aggieland. We had been in desperate need of that.
Escobars army
I wanted Richt when that rumor was floating around, but I always thought part of our problem was a lack of SWAG. That is not the term I would have used, but for that reason I was high on Sumlin.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
^
loser in Stars claims he has video of Richt in College Station during the last hiring process. we've all offered to pay lotsa money for it but he refuses to give it up he claims.
Babe Gock
quote:
Thanks for a straightforward answer to one question, then half-answers to most of the others. (And I'm so ashamed of my lack of intelligence and maturity, btw).

Again - who should we have hired?

I have answered this question before, but in the spirit of peace I will do it again.

Smart, Strong, Fedora, Briles, the Forty plus year old man, and Richt were all on my list ahead of Sumlin.

But that doesn't really tell you a whole lot. They all could have had similar levels of success at this point.

Again, my point isn't necessarily that Sumlin was the WRONG hire. My point is that I believe a lot of folks here are giving him too much credit for lackluster results at this point.

I think that the lack of improvement on defense this season is concerning. That part I the game is not heading in the right direction. Offensively, yes, very pleased (but not surprised). Would like to see how we do next season with Hill/Allen sans Evans. Running game with Spav calling plays looks really good. Kicking game, passable this season with sparks of greatness (Ole Miss game).

Recruiting is top notch. No argument there. Can Sumlin develop players? Jury is out on that.

Are we heading in the right direction overall? Too early to tell. But if he can develop the talent, especially on defense, I would say that would make me answer that question in the affirmative.

Again, too early to tell. I certainly don't think his performance this far warrants the contract he got. But I know you have to gamble sometimes to succeed at a high level.

I will say this: I hope Sumlin was the right hire. If he wasn't, we might be in for a long 10-12 years recovering....

And we have been there before.
Halong
AG
I am very proud to say that I wanted Sumlin from day one.

Babe Gock
And I call bull**** on half you idiots saying you wanted him from day one.

Bull

Link or GTFO
AggBoy95
AG
He was a close 2nd behind Richt... I met Sumlin when he was an asst. at A&M the 1st time around.... I left there telling my buddies that I had never heard of him before but he was going to be big time someday... just had that "it" factor...
mncag
Yes
monarch
S
I wanted Kirby Smart, but knew that wouldnt happen. Didnt want Summy: Air Raid Offense, sirens, smoke; reminded me of Cougar High. Still does.

Can I argue with the results? Hell no; but as a lot of you have said, and I agree, can he develop players? A lot of these guys making plays for us the past two years are Sherman's guys (The AA O-Linemen were signed by Sherman; then again, a lot of the defense were Sherman's guys too, or a lack thereof); Interesting to see what Summy will do in 2014/15 and beyond. He's got the players, now produce wins with YOUR players.

[This message has been edited by monarch (edited 1/31/2014 9:07p).]
d78230
AG
Why is this thread still active?

Delete.

No useful purpose.

Started by sip.
SapperAg
AG
Why is winning with a fired coach's players considered a negative? The old coach is gone for a reason. The new coach took a 6-6 team and made them 10-2 in his first season in a new conference and 8-4 in the second season. With players that were not recruited to play his brand of football. How is this a ding against Sumlin?
FunkyTownFarmer12
AG
Babe Gock can suck my ****. If you don't understand the correlation between being a great recruiter and a great COLLEGE coach then that's on you.

Although I do agree with him most people on here claiming Summy to be their #1 aren't quite telling the truth. He wasn't my first choice but I wasn't opposed either. I'm just glad we hired the man. Because, Gock, he is the tits. Now go back to being a wet blanket.
CoachLB
Lou Holtz was questioned about not being Notre Dames first choice for their Head Coach. His answer was "That's OK, I wasn't my wifes first choice either! And that has worked out just fine!" Before Sumlin was hired I had a high school coach tell me "A&M will rule the state in recruiting if they hire Sumlin." After meeting Sumlin, I knew the coach knew what he was talking about.

[This message has been edited by CoachLB (edited 1/31/2014 9:50p).]
PatAg
AG
I wanted him instead of Fran.
BlackOps
AG
Gotta admit, when he was announced, thought Sumlin would be all offense and no defense, when in reality .. wait, nevermind.
Texam90
AG
I liked him but I just wanted to see interviews with people outside of Houston. I did want to see Strong or Smart interviewed.

A&M has finished ranked in the AP three times since 2000 and 2 of them were under Sumlin - in the SEC west.

It should be interesting to see how we do with 3 and 4 years of top recruiting to match LSU, Bama, and Auburn.
czar_iv
AG
quote:
Actually he was my first choice when we got rid of Little Debbie

+1

"RT @PajayyWasHere: Can I Ask What Exactly Is An "Aggie" .--Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
Babe Gock
quote:
Babe Gock can suck my ****. If you don't understand the correlation between being a great recruiter and a great COLLEGE coach then that's on you.

Although I do agree with him most people on here claiming Summy to be their #1 aren't quite telling the truth. He wasn't my first choice but I wasn't opposed either. I'm just glad we hired the man. Because, Gock, he is the tits. Now go back to being a wet blanket.

It's funny that you used the word correlation, because that's what it is, generally speaking. I have said, more than once, that recruiting is important. But there aren't ANY coaches that you or anyone would say are great COLLEGE coaches JUST because they are good recruiters.

Think about that for a couple of days and when what I actually said finally gets through your thick head, come back and let us know.

And since you said it, what, exactly makes Sumlin "the tits" in your mind right now? I want concrete examples of his greatness as a college football coach.

Thanks and Gig'em
Brakeman
Larry Fedora....but Im very happy with Summy's Machine.
FunkyTownFarmer12
AG
I used the word correlation bc that's exactly what it is, there's nothing funny about it. I would love the past decade or so tu experienced bc of Mack Brown. He's not that good with X's and O's but he's a great recruiter who had 10 win season after 10 win season. What type of coach does that make him? I'll let you decide.

11 and 2 in our first season in the SEC and a curb stomping of a team that, let's be honest, used to beat the dog**** out of us more often than not in the Cotton Bowl is what I consider a concrete example. If not winning the natty in his first two years is what you're holding against him, that's on you.

Now like I said, go back to being a wet blanket. You can watch game films and "highlights" from the 2000's all you want.
v1rotate92
AG
No...Did not know much about him.

Damn happy we got him!
agsquirrel97
dcAg
Those of us that remember Sumlin when he was an assistant at A&M wanted him as our HC.
Personal Best
AG
quote:
Those of us that remember Sumlin when he was an assistant at A&M wanted him as our HC.

That's a pretty big generalization.. You know that just because you make an opinion, not everyone else shares it right?
Babe Gock
quote:
I used the word correlation bc that's exactly what it is, there's nothing funny about it. I would love the past decade or so tu experienced bc of Mack Brown. He's not that good with X's and O's but he's a great recruiter who had 10 win season after 10 win season. What type of coach does that make him? I'll let you decide.

11 and 2 in our first season in the SEC and a curb stomping of a team that, let's be honest, used to beat the dog**** out of us more often than not in the Cotton Bowl is what I consider a concrete example. If not winning the natty in his first two years is what you're holding against him, that's on you.

Now like I said, go back to being a wet blanket. You can watch game films and "highlights" from the 2000's all you want.

Like I said, Mack Brown was a GREAT coach because he WON FOOTBALL GAMES. Not because he was a good recruiter. If he had top five classes every year and only won 7-8 games a year, no one would call him a great coach.

When did I say I expected a National Championship in the first two years? In fact, I said he should be competing for an SEC West title in 3-4.

Why didn't you talk about 2013 and the 8-4 season? Instead you discussed 2012. Truth be told our defense sucked and we underperformed. And we beat a Duke team that never should have been in the game.

If you're not slightly concerned with the way this past season played out you're paying too much attention to the hype and not enough to the performance on the field

Jesus tap dancing Christ, you're stupid.
Babe Gock
And one season with another coach's players and the greatest Ag QB of all time is not a concrete example of a coach being great.
Vince Young`s Wonderlic
quote:
And one season with another coach's players and the greatest Ag QB of all time is not a concrete example of a coach being great.

holy sh** you're annoying.

We get it. You dont like Sumlin and cant wait for him to fail so you can say "I told you so."

Cool story. Now eff off so we don't have to see you drag your bleeding pu*** through every Sumlin thread.
Personal Best
AG
This thread is in tents

Lots of very serious people here
JeffHamilton82
See why I wanted Saban, not Sumlin.
#Who'snext?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.