Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Post here if Sumlin was your first choice candidate for HC

15,840 Views | 179 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AggnHou
CapCityAg89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was pissed when RC was forced out because I thought with Sumlin, we finally had an OC, plus a good succession plan to HC. I was thrilled with Fran because he was a HUGE get (literally and figuratively) and I figured the administration had turned a corner from the Wally Groff days. Oops. When Fran was fired, I hoped they'd go get Sumlin then and was very glad when he was hired after Sherman.

I'm still glad - with the way he's recruiting and what he's done in general (not just the last three weeks), I'm still confident he's the guy to build a program for the long haul in the SEC.

Spyderman
AG
Yes, after RC got the boot.
headshrinker
AG
I had Fedora first, then Sumlin a close second, and then Strong, and finally Smart. Went with Fedora and Sumlin because of proven head coaching records. Just my bias, rating them ahead of assistants. Fedora got my nod ahead of Sumlin because of his local connection in Navasota, though Sumlin was a capable OC at A&M. Given what he's done at NC, I think Fedora probably would have been a mistake. He's neglected defense much more than Sumlin, who I thought made a decent pick with Snyder from available talent.

If I had to do it over again, I would have gone with Strong first. I like what he's doing at tu, and think if the powers give him the time he needs, will bring to that program and any other, much needed discipline in reversing today's "me first" culture in a controllable microcosm. I like Sumlin, but he either needs to get a handler, such as Orgeron, as a DC and assistant head coach, to right the ship, or change his persona, which is probably not realistic nor recommended. You've got to be yourself, and if that's not adequate to manage a team, then bring in the bad ass cop, and Orgeron fits the bill IMHO.
Ags77
AG
Was my FIRST CHOICE
jim 78
AG
yep..i wanted fedora or strong. i think sumlin can do it if he'll fire "Downhill Snyder"
AggnHou
AG
Was my first choice... The the way we are losing these games bothers me. But he has time to right the ship. I don't see how people are jumping the ship already. I'll wait till the end of the season before I declare it a bust unless we continue to lose in spectacular fashion lose all recruiting momentum.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.