Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Post here if Sumlin was your first choice candidate for HC

15,868 Views | 179 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AggnHou
Aggiethruthicknthin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In the spirit of open honesty... I wanted Sumlin when RC was fired, and every hire since.
Ben Diamond
I wanted Kirby Smart.
Say Chowdah
AG
I pulled up a thread a long time ago where I stated I wanted Sumlin back. I don't regret it at all.

I think it is a work over time. I didn't expect us to win the National Championship in 3 years. I don't know that 4 years is enough to really judge.

We had a LONG way to go and our pipeline was weak (other than offensive linemen - wish we could get Sherm back as an OL coordinator).
GregZeppelin
AG
I wanted Charlie Strong.

Although I've come around to Sumlin, and I still believe he will right the ship and have long term success here.

Unless he doesn't fire any coordinators by seasons end, then I'll be rethinking that position.
BringJackieBack89
AG
I wante to either bring back Sherrill or bring in Kirby Smart.
fightintxaggie10
AG
1.) Jim Tressel
2.) Chris Petersen
Crandall
AG
Babe Gock looks like a got damn genius right now....
NattyOrBust
AG
I wanted Smart. Then came the rumors that we were tracking airplanes looking for Richt. At that point, I was all in for Richt. When Sumlin got announced, I was lukewarm on him. Then 2012 happened, and all of the subsequent recruiting success, attention, "swag", etc. has made me love Sumlin. Now I am questioning EVERYTHING! I don't know which way is up right now.
zafzo
Lots of guys owe Babe Gock an apology.
Crandall
AG
Yes, they do. And just FYI, Babe was one of Lat's socks, so you guys can line up here to apologize.
Personal Best
AG
quote:
Yes, they do. And just FYI, Babe was one of Lat's socks, so you guys can line up here to apologize.
Personal Best
AG
quote:
quote:
Those of us that remember Sumlin when he was an assistant at A&M wanted him as our HC.

That's a pretty big generalization.. You know that just because you make an opinion, not everyone else shares it right?

Hey I made a good post here!
Crandall
AG
Let me recap for those too lazy to click through the thread:

quote:
quote:
Babe - are you saying that Sumlin has underachieved? What is an acceptable time frame for contending for championships after entering the SEC West, in your mind? Less than 2 years?

Are you saying "wait and see", or "we made the wrong hire"? If "wait and see" then are you basically pleased with the direction we are headed? If "we made the wrong hire" then who did / do you want instead (realistic names only please)?

Go on record. Have some balls. Don't just throw grenades at everyone else. I want to tap into your genius, bro.

Overall, I do not think he has underachieved. On the defensive side, his results suck. But an argument can be made that he had very little to work with. I don't think he has overachieved or underachieved.

I don't know if there is a timeframe for Championships that applies to every coach. Some have done it in very little time, some take years and years. What's acceptable? Depends in your resources. I think for Sumlin we should see a real run at a Championship within 3-4 years of his hire. That would mean this season or next (conference championship).

I am definitely saying wait and see. I am also saying, I didn't think it was a good hire and I haven't seen a whole lot of hard evidence to change that except for the recruiting. As you all know, I don't put as much stock in recruiting as I do wins on the field. It's a tool that helps you win. It's not the metric used to measure a coach's success. He has recruited well. He has a great offensive scheme. No one doubted he would do well on offense.

What I am trying to point out is that you all act like he is the greatest coach in America. To the point that some of you said you would stop donating to the TMF if they didn't give him an extension or if they let him get away.

He hasn't done anything yet, other than pull some big time recruits, to warrant the accolades he receives from this board.

In short, yes, I am waiting to see what he does in the next two seasons before I decide whether or not he is a good football coach for A&M.

But to act like we need to start dusting off a spot in the coaches hall of fame or crown him the best coach in Aggie history (hyperbole) is premature at BEST.

I really believe we have been bad for so long that you guys are grasping at ANYTHING that you can call a victory....

Even an 8-4 season and a top ten recruiting ranking.

Those certainly don't equal championships.

Sips proved that for several years now.

And quit calling people out. You come off as immature and, frankly, unintelligent.

Crandall
AG
This little gem brings a year to my eye...so poetic, so eloquent:

quote:
quote:
Thanks for a straightforward answer to one question, then half-answers to most of the others. (And I'm so ashamed of my lack of intelligence and maturity, btw).

Again - who should we have hired?

I have answered this question before, but in the spirit of peace I will do it again.

Smart, Strong, Fedora, Briles, the Forty plus year old man, and Richt were all on my list ahead of Sumlin.

But that doesn't really tell you a whole lot. They all could have had similar levels of success at this point.

Again, my point isn't necessarily that Sumlin was the WRONG hire. My point is that I believe a lot of folks here are giving him too much credit for lackluster results at this point.

I think that the lack of improvement on defense this season is concerning. That part I the game is not heading in the right direction. Offensively, yes, very pleased (but not surprised). Would like to see how we do next season with Hill/Allen sans Evans. Running game with Spav calling plays looks really good. Kicking game, passable this season with sparks of greatness (Ole Miss game).

Recruiting is top notch. No argument there. Can Sumlin develop players? Jury is out on that.

Are we heading in the right direction overall? Too early to tell. But if he can develop the talent, especially on defense, I would say that would make me answer that question in the affirmative.

Again, too early to tell. I certainly don't think his performance this far warrants the contract he got. But I know you have to gamble sometimes to succeed at a high level.

I will say this: I hope Sumlin was the right hire. If he wasn't, we might be in for a long 10-12 years recovering....

And we have been there before.
FrontPorchAg
He was the only member of the staff I wanted to keep when we hired Fran. I actually wanted him over Fran.
raydaddy
AG
He was my first choice when we hired Sherman. Coach Sumlin still is my first choice...
Crandall
AG
Update to Babe's assessment:

Defensive improvements are non-existent. Sumlin has failed so far.

Offense with Hill/Allen sans Evans: utter failure at all levels against anyone ranked in the top 25 currently.

So far, jury is no longer out. At this point Sumlin was NOT the right hire and nothing he has done, nothing, warranted a guaranteed $30 million contract.

Very poor business decision by the AD and administration.

Sex Panther
AG
Jesus Christ Lat you are such a dewsh.
Crandall
AG
quote:

Which points were incorrect?
MSCAg
AG
He was definitely top 5. I won't lie, I probably would have put Strong ahead of Sumlin.

I think they were Smart*, Sumlin, Strong, and Fedora.

Main concern was his ability to improve the defense.

* Smart obviously has a HC in waiting offer from Alabama.
WCB91
AG
I wanted Strong, but after the first year I said I was wrong and I was very happy.
Here4Beer
AG
quote:
This little gem brings a year to my eye...so poetic, so eloquent:

quote:
quote:
Thanks for a straightforward answer to one question, then half-answers to most of the others. (And I'm so ashamed of my lack of intelligence and maturity, btw).

Again - who should we have hired?

I have answered this question before, but in the spirit of peace I will do it again.

Smart, Strong, Fedora, Briles, the Forty plus year old man, and Richt were all on my list ahead of Sumlin.

But that doesn't really tell you a whole lot. They all could have had similar levels of success at this point.

Again, my point isn't necessarily that Sumlin was the WRONG hire. My point is that I believe a lot of folks here are giving him too much credit for lackluster results at this point.

I think that the lack of improvement on defense this season is concerning. That part I the game is not heading in the right direction. Offensively, yes, very pleased (but not surprised). Would like to see how we do next season with Hill/Allen sans Evans. Running game with Spav calling plays looks really good. Kicking game, passable this season with sparks of greatness (Ole Miss game).

Recruiting is top notch. No argument there. Can Sumlin develop players? Jury is out on that.

Are we heading in the right direction overall? Too early to tell. But if he can develop the talent, especially on defense, I would say that would make me answer that question in the affirmative.

Again, too early to tell. I certainly don't think his performance this far warrants the contract he got. But I know you have to gamble sometimes to succeed at a high level.

I will say this: I hope Sumlin was the right hire. If he wasn't, we might be in for a long 10-12 years recovering....

And we have been there before.
Hard to argue with logic.
12thGauge
If we don't succeed next year, i'm buying that 2012 and 2013 were all because of johnny
tamuwx
AG
I'll admit, I wanted Strong, although I am not sure now that would have been good either.
Ian Neff
AG
It just doesn't matter who we hire. Something is very Chicago Cubs about us.
I don't get it.
waco_aggie05
AG
If its a 100 year natty curse, we still have a quarter century to go.
hahalololol_faggies
The Big XII likes Kevin Sumlin....please dont go anywhere!!!!
Personal Best
AG
^ this guy
hahalololol_faggies
quote:
I hoped we would go after Mike Leach.

I didn't want Sumlin because I did not want anybody who had ever been on R.C.'s staff.

I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong, and it looks like I was wrong about Coach Sumlin.

hahaha...Leach hated Aggies, like everyone else
FriscoKid
AG
quote:
quote:

Which points were incorrect?
OK, Now I understand. I'm sure everyone else already knew this and I am just kinda slow.

ham98
I didn't like the hiring and was almost banned for expressing it. Was pleased the last two years and now I'm neutral on the hire.
Jim Benson 63
AG
Yes, I wanted him in 2008 when we hired Sherman, and that thought continued to 2012. I was also surprised that Franbaloney didn't try to keep him around in 03. Obviously, Fran was not a good judge of coaching talent and insisted on keeping his own duds. In 03 Sumlin got a job with Gary Barnett at CU, but then about 3 weeks later he got an offer from Bob Stoops, so he went to OU and did well for 5 years before he left for UH.
coupland boy
AG
Get it all out everybody. There there.
Personal Best
AG
GD coupland! Shut UP
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
He wasy first choice.

Sue me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.