Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The Voice of Aggie Football - Through the Decades...

24,080 Views | 98 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ontheway
Ol Waco Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
C.K was an english prof at TAMC / TAMU .He got his bachelors from " Bay-lore" and was in deep with the classics and theatre.
He was indeed one of a kind. His last season as Kyle Field PA was 1976.He was replaced by the great Dr Roger Feldman ( who before taking over at Kyle was the PA voice at G Rollie for basketball since the 60's and did both for decades )

RIP CK !!!!!!

Duke Frye was the PBP voice of the Ags radio broadcasts in football and basketball in the 89-90 academic year...Then sadly back to South I reallly liked Duke, don't really know why we let Duke go or understood why we went back with South...

Gig'em

OWA

The grass withers , the flower fades but the Word of our God stands forever. Is 40:8

[This message has been edited by Ol Waco Ag (edited 2/1/2008 6:37p).]
Tex Ag 81
AG
Early 70's:

Starting in the backfield, Bean, Greene, Dean and Dusek.

Also, tackle for loss made by the entire fightin' Texas Aggie defense.

I can't do the emphasis but the CK was awesome.
HighPlainsAg
I can remember C. K. Esten in the '67 tu game,

"Tackle made by Krueger, Aschenbeck, and Hobbbbbbbbbbs"
Roman Moronie
quote:
Bill Schoening

FIFY
SA Ag
Duke Frye also did the Jackie Sherrill shows a couple of years.

[This message has been edited by SA Ag (edited 2/2/2008 9:46a).]
rock the good ag 90'
I saw Roger Feldman and his wife at the Kroger on Longmire/Rock Prairie last week.

He was a great voice for Kyle Field for about 20 years.
usmcaggie
AG
quote:
"GOOD AFTERNOON FOOTBALL FANS, WELCOME TO KYLE FIELD. THE HOME OF THE FIGHTIN' TEXAS AGGIES".C.K.Esten no contest.

If the modern day Kyle Crowd could experience a C.K. Esten style announcer, without distracting ribbon lights, no idiotic virtual races on the scoreboard - just Fightin' Texas Aggie yells, and the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band - they would never again have it any other way.

Counter-culture - simplicity - tradition. Just do it.
fwheightsboy
AG
For those who have never heard him, google CK Esten. It would be great to open new Kyle Field next year with his voice.
wisdom
AG
If you like Dave South....you would have liked Kern Tips.......Kern Tips was horrible. Great....cute descriptive phrases which is the origin of the mistaken belief he was somehow a good announcer, but if you wanted to know what was happening on the field and what the game situation was, Kern Tips was horrible.
Spica
AG
The ones I remember from the old Humble Radio Network are Kern Tips, Connie Alexander, Alex Chesser, Stan McKenzie, and Jack Dale. C.K. Esten was a P.A. announcer at Kyle Field. Mike Mistovich did Aggie basketball games on radio, and also had a daytime program called Tradio, where people who had items for sale called in. BTW, Neal Boortz got his start on radio when he attended A&M in the mid-sixties.
wisdom
AG
C. K. Esten.....a legend....we need to start a whole new thread just about him.
Good afternoon football fans.....Welcome to Kyle Field.....Home of the Fightin' Texas Aggies!!
Also had him as a professor......unique guy.
Post removed:
by user
Craigy
Oh man the memories...."The suns is setting in the west, the ball is being kicked from the east"...I have many games both basketball and football on cassette form like 76-80. I want to get those remastered before they get totally ruined. I know I have the Tony Frankiln field goals against Baylor .
The Original AG 76
AG
Kern Tips and Connie Alexander were awesome, especially Kern. There was only a couple of games on tv back then , usually one of the yankee teams or Alabama and only 1 regional , usually sips, so we all listened to the SWC network all day in Saturday. Kern did a great job with play by play and the phrases and color just added to the enjoyment. You would listen and feel like you were at the stadium and watching. AND they always broadcast the National Anthem , the Alma Maters of the schools and usually had some of the halftime band music on.
Kern was a one of a kind. No one comes close.
aggiejim70
AG
Swink hit the goal line with all he had, but the referee failed to raise his arms in the customary gesture.

Kern Tips description of the Aggie goal line stand against TCU in 1956
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
rojack
AG

Kern Tips: " A whole of Maroon clad Aggies tackle the ball carrier". I will always remember listening to him on the radio.
zeromas
I think the order of the day for an afternoon game at Kyle Field should include 1) C K Esten - the audio "Good afternoon sports fans. Welcome . . .", 2) Whatever football highlight clips to lather up the fans, 3) current team choreographed entry / music.

It makes sense. C K was indeed one of a kind.
Spica
AG
quote:
Swink hit the goal line with all he had, but the referee failed to raise his arms in the customary gesture.

Kern Tips description of the Aggie goal line stand against TCU in 1956

The "Hurricane Game." 7-6. Aggies scored on the only pass they threw that day.
gdsrt
AG
No contest as far as radio goes: Kern Tips and then Connie Alexander. "Four yards and a cloud of dust"!
Jimi_Rod
AG
Kevin Smith did radio with South one year, did he not?
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:
No contest as far as radio goes: Kern Tips and then Connie Alexander. "Four yards and a cloud of dust"!
And lets b fair. Frank Fallon , the Baylor guy, was also damn good. Cut from the same cloth as the great Kern and Connie .
Kern loved to call the Ags the Cadets. Haven't heard us called that in decades but it used to be quite common.
AGxellence91
AG
I can still hear Kern Tipps say, "It is a handoff to the fullback and it's thunder up the middle".
jickyjack1
quote:
Wasn't DS doing play by play earlier than 1988 ??

I have some old VHS highlight vids and DS is doing play by play

Well, it does seem like he's been around forever, but it always does after the first few minutes.

If A&M has ever provided a sinecure to a C minus, this is it.

Kern Tips, Connie Alexander, Dave South ... one is not like the others.
AgCat93
AG
quote:
Kevin Smith did radio with South one year, did he not?

Yes, he did.
dixichkn
AG
Hound Dog 77
I like Dave South but he is very hard to listen to on the radio. I think it is time for new blood. His attention to detail is extremely lacking.
Bryanisbest
AG
quote:
Kern Tips was the ultimate broadcast announcer for football via radio. Close behind, in my opion, was a fellow named Connie Alexander.

Those gentlemen possessed the vocabulary and imagination to deliver to the listener a vision of the game in progress.... unlike anyone I've heard since.

This!!!
Bryanisbest
AG
Mike Mistovich:

Benna Lenex at the line. He sends it away--good!
Bryanisbest
AG
quote:
Mike Mistovich:

Texas with a full court press. Timmons dribbling. . . whistle. . . . They said he was traveling!?
Bryanisbest
AG
quote:
quote:
Mike Mistovich:

Texas with a full court press. Timmins dribbling. . . whistle. . . . They said he was traveling!?
Martin Cash
AG
quote:
If you like Dave South....you would have liked Kern Tips.......Kern Tips was horrible. Great....cute descriptive phrases which is the origin of the mistaken belief he was somehow a good announcer, but if you wanted to know what was happening on the field and what the game situation was, Kern Tips was horrible.

Trolling?
Fonzie Scheme
AG
No. Not trolling. Kern Tips was outstanding at post game narration. There's a huge difference between that and actual play-by-play. Tips was a wonderful narrator. A play-by-play man? Not so much. Not, at least, as any proof that I've heard.
67walkon
Like C. K. Esten he can stay as long as he wants
ashley
quote:
quote:
Mike Mistovich:

Texas with a full court press. Timmons dribbling. . . whistle. . . . They said he was traveling!?

I can't believe this. Played against both of them in HS and knew them a little later at A & M. They embarrass me so badly and took the ball away from me on the trap all the time. They were so good.
AGxellence91
AG
I can still hear Kern Tips say, "The ball is handed off to ??? and it's thunder up the middle".
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.