Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The Voice of Aggie Football - Through the Decades...

23,958 Views | 98 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ontheway
Maroon Kool Aid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was trying to figure out who has been the Voice of Aggie Football through the decades, and this is all I can remeber...

Dave South - Late 80's(??) to Present
Bill Schoenig - one year when Dave had left A&M briefly before coming back

Who were the Voices of Aggie Football before Dave South?
gts96
Dwayne Staats did basketball in the early 80's I don't know if he did football.
oldschool87
AG
Forgot about him, Dwayne was greatness!
Post removed:
by user
Mac94
AG
quote:
Bill Schoenig - one year when Dave had left A&M briefly before coming back

This is incorrect.

In 1988 Dave South worked play by play with Duke Frye doing the color.

In 1989 Dave South went to do something else and Duke Frye was bumped to doing the Play by Play with Dave Elmendorf.

In 1990 South was back and Dave and Dave was born.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." The words of Jesus; John 16:33
skins74
AG
In the old Southwest conference, I believe that they had a contracted sponser which was Humble Oil that turned into Exxon. They sponsored every SWC game and the announcers to boot. The announcers were assigned games to do each week. Kind of like ABC assigning theirs to different games. But everyone I have talked to loved one of them above the rest and his name was Kern Tips.
DogCompany74
AG
Skins 74 is correct...Humble had the choice of announcers from their pool, there was no 100% A&M Play by Play guy but I do believe the individual schools may have provided the color guy.
Texags is garbage
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rL9ihXiFAko
Friend of RCII
AG
Kern Tips was the ultimate broadcast announcer for football via radio. Close behind, in my opion, was a fellow named Connie Alexander.

Those gentlemen possessed the vocabulary and imagination to deliver to the listener a vision of the game in progress.... unlike anyone I've heard since.
PerfectAg
C. K. ESTEN! No one was better!
SA Ag
Quote Esten; "Ray Kubbbaaalllaaa!
war hymn aggie
AG
I believe Duke Fry did Play-by-play for a year or 2 before going South

Esten was the PA announcer @ Kyle and was succeeded by Roger Feldman.

[This message has been edited by war hymn aggie (edited 1/29/2008 6:42p).]
CaptainWoodrowFCall
AG
Connie Alexander and Stan McKensie. The announcers from that era were just more talented and I enjoyed the Humble network doing the games. This is where Jack Dale, of Tech fame, came from as well and I enjoyed listening to him.
PerfectAg
'Quote' Esten: "Tackled by Jones, Smith,
Hubert, Ragly, Osborne, wright and Rogers."

If you refer to the forty acres as anything other than tu or 'sips, you are not an AGGIE!
71txag
AG
"GOOD AFTERNOON FOOTBALL FANS, WELCOME TO KYLE FIELD. THE HOME OF THE FIGHTIN' TEXAS AGGIES".C.K.Esten no contest.
hammer11
Tackle by Ten - Na- Pel, Jackson, Sim-mo-nin-knee and the rest of the Fighting Texas Aggie Defense
AgDotCom
Ahem.

"Levias cah-rrries". Brought down by KRU-gah, Beam, and BRUUUUUU-bakkkk-ah".
AnalogyAg
slightly off context, but my favorite radio commercial from back in the SWC days, Amalie Oil:

"Well, we was sittin' around one day shootin' the breeze and Ray starts boasting that he can start driving in his truck at sun-up and not reach the other end of his ranch until evening. Well, ol' Billy-Bob pipes up: 'you know, I had a truck like that once, but I put Amalie motor oil in it and perked it up just fine'.

Greatness!
milner79
Esten: "In on the tackle for the Aggies: Marshall, Fields and Spitsen-ber-GERRRRRRR."
ag-bq-seventy
AG
I miss Esten...he was great.
85AustinAg
AG
For some of the younger Ags does anyone know how we could get some C.K. Eston audio posted?

Also didn't Mike Mistovich do the basketball broadcasts in the late 60's and early 70's?
Post removed:
by user
RC II
S
AustinAg-
Mike Mistovich did the basketball games back then, and every now and then a baseball game.

Another one of the Humble Crew was a guy named Vess Box. They were all employees of Humble Oil and Refining Co. Not "professional broadcasters". They all had regular jobs too. Some were geologists, some were accountants etc. I loved that era of Aggie football. All of the HOR broadcasters were good but Kern Tips was the greatest. Showed no bias and made both teams sound like they were very special.
aeon-ag
all you that remember c.k. esten have brought back great memories of the man, the greatest voice of kyle field. do you also remember his microphone key sticking once in a while, "who the hell has the ball" and "who is that S.O.B" this is by no means trying take away from his greatness, just a tidbit to show how colorful he was.

i can hear him now talking about CROW, TAHLOOR AND PAAAHDEEEEE

"Also didn't Mike Mistovich do the basketball broadcasts in the late 60's and early 70's?"

mike also did baseball.

[This message has been edited by aeon-ag (edited 1/31/2008 9:25a).]
gts96
Mike was a great man. He and his wife Mary-Jane were great to my family and I miss them very much.
skins74
AG
Ditto on Mike. He was a true Ag and a great guy.
85AustinAg
AG
I was 8 or 9 years old growing up in Bryan listening to Aggie Basketball on the radio and remember Mistovich and..."Heitmann passing it off to Threadgill, back out to Heitmann......."
SA Ag
Re Ves Box; he also did wrestling weekly on KRLD from the "Sportetorium" in Dallas.
Artimus Gordon
I remember CK Esten saying Bay-lore bears, like eyore.
txag70
AG
Mike Mistovich was a great guy and Ag supporter. I worked for him for three years at while in school as night DJ at KORA. Back then (late '60's) Humble Oil owned all the SWC football but no one really cared about broadcasting basketball or baseball. Mike got the rights to do most of them on KORA-AM (and sometimes KORA-FM which, was his an automoated classical station.)
olarmy69
Esten
Good evening ladies and Gentlemen
Welcome to Kyle Field Home of the Fightn' Texas Aggies

BREW BAKKER ON THE PLAY

Esten head of the Speech Dept.
85AustinAg
AG
Ross Brubacher ?
BQ MOM
Staff
S
C. K. Esten

I always loved the way he said Simonini.
85AustinAg
AG
My personal favorite was Luebenhuesen.
HSEEP
C K ESTIN, without a doubt.

1967 SWC Championship year;

Calling an Aggie defensive stop: In on the tackle, Hoooooobs, Aaaaaschenbeck a - n - d, KAW - RUH - GAAAH!

As in Billy Hobbs, Harvey Aschenbeck and Rolf Krueger. Great stuff!

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.