Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The Voice of Aggie Football - Through the Decades...

24,069 Views | 98 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ontheway
yeshellyes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This! "Good afternoon football fans . . . ."
dermdoc
AG
usmcaggie said:

Quote:

"GOOD AFTERNOON FOOTBALL FANS, WELCOME TO KYLE FIELD. THE HOME OF THE FIGHTIN' TEXAS AGGIES".C.K.Esten no contest.

If the modern day Kyle Crowd could experience a C.K. Esten style announcer, without distracting ribbon lights, no idiotic virtual races on the scoreboard - just Fightin' Texas Aggie yells, and the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band - they would never again have it any other way.

Counter-culture - simplicity - tradition. Just do it.

Agree.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Law Hall 69-72
AG
wisdom said:

If you like Dave South....you would have liked Kern Tips.......Kern Tips was horrible. Great....cute descriptive phrases which is the origin of the mistaken belief he was somehow a good announcer, but if you wanted to know what was happening on the field and what the game situation was, Kern Tips was horrible.

WRONG!
ABATTBQ87
AG
AGxellence91 said:

I can still hear Kern Tips say, "The ball is handed off to ??? and it's thunder up the middle".

oklacityag75
AG
I listened to many Aggie basketball games with Mike Mistovich. I can still him calling Randy Matson got his head above the rim to grab that rebound.

But Esten was the MIKE!! He was calling the games from Kyle Field while I was a student,.
John 14:6
DowntownDallas99
Dr. Roger Feldman?
85AustinAg
AG
Bryanisbest
AG
Mike Mistovich basketball in the 60's. "Bena Lenex at the line. He sends it away, good."

Kern Tipps calling the tu/ou game at the old Cotton Bowl, "This is a scene that would make Cecil B Demille stand back aghast!"
74AnimalA
AG
71txag said:

"GOOD AFTERNOON FOOTBALL FANS, WELCOME TO KYLE FIELD. THE HOME OF THE FIGHTIN' TEXAS AGGIES".C.K.Esten no contest.
Thought it was Mike Mistovich? At least '70 on....
F4GIB71
CK Esten

F4GIB71
F4GIB71
Oops. Beat me to it
F4GIB71
TxAg76
AG

Jugstore Cowboy
AG
A couple clippings from the switchover from Exxon to Mutual Broadcasting for SWC games. This is post-Kern Tipps. Not sure when exactly it became normal to have dedicated announcers for schools producing their own broadcasts. But this explains why there might have been some confusion on when Dave South started, or mixed memories of different people calling games:

This thread is also the first time I've seen or heard any old-timers complain about Kern Tips' gamecalling skills. Another article from the era quoted someone saying they could keep pretty accurate game stats just by following his play by play.

aeon-ag
SA Ag said:

Quote Esten; "Ray Kubbbaaalllaaa!
Brubachaaaaaa!
aeon-ag
F4GIB71 said:

CK Esten

Compared to Esten, the rest were rookies!!!
aeon-ag
HSEEP said:

C K ESTIN, without a doubt.

1967 SWC Championship year;

Calling an Aggie defensive stop: In on the tackle, Hoooooobs, Aaaaaschenbeck a - n - d, KAW - RUH - GAAAH!

As in Billy Hobbs, Harvey Aschenbeck and Rolf Krueger. Great stuff!

I never heard him call them that way!
ac
Harry Lime said:

A couple clippings from the switchover from Exxon to Mutual Broadcasting for SWC games. This is post-Kern Tipps. Not sure when exactly it became normal to have dedicated announcers for schools producing their own broadcasts. But this explains why there might have been some confusion on when Dave South started, or mixed memories of different people calling games:

This thread is also the first time I've seen or heard any old-timers complain about Kern Tips' gamecalling skills. Another article from the era quoted someone saying they could keep pretty accurate game stats just by following his play by play.

By the mid 1980s, that arrangement had changed. Each SWC school was assigned an announcing crew and for conference games, the home team announcer would do play by play while the visiting one would do color. Big name announcers Ron Franklin (UT) & Brad Sham (TCU) were part of that rotation. Dave South was assigned to A&M during this time period and that's where it began for him. In 1988, this agreement was done away with and SWC schools had their own radio networks with their own announcing crews.
ac
twk
AG
Quote:

By the mid 1980s, that arrangement had changed. Each SWC school was assigned an announcing crew and for conference games, the home team announcer would do play by play while the visiting one would do color. Big name announcers Ron Franklin (UT) & Brad Sham (TCU) were part of that rotation. Dave South was assigned to A&M during this time period and that's where it began for him. In 1988, this agreement was done away with and SWC schools had their own radio networks with their own announcing crews.
Dave had a day job in Waco back when he started doing A&M games. He was offered the general manger position at a Waco radio station in '88, which would not have permitted him to moonlight, so he had to quick after the '88 football season. Chuck Cooperstein did basketball in '88-'89, then for baseball, they started with KBTX new anchor (and former Aggie baseball player) Russ Roberts, until he took a job with a TV station in Arkansas, and then got Bill Schoening to come over from Huntsville to finish the '89 baseball season. Only when football rolled around in the Fall of '89 did John David Crow notice we had an issue with not having a full time play by play guy (Duke Frye did play-by-play while Dave Elmendorf remained on color, having started the year before, if I recall correctly). After the '89 football season, JDC created a full-time position in order to lure Dave South back.

Dave Elmendorf had a brief hiatus from color duties when he took a job working for Miramont (someone didn't like him promoting a golf course that competed with Traditions, which A&M was trying to develop at the time). That's when Kevin Smith did color for a year or two (I want to say that was the end of Crow's tenure and when he left, Elmendorf was allowed to return -- Crow was an awful athletic director).
Joe Schilliaci 48
I probably know you. Dave was the Program Director at KWTX (not sure if it was AM or both AM & FM. Frank Fallon was the station manager. Dave was the color guy on KWTX AM Baylor radio broadcasts while Fallon did the play by play. I know Fallon was station manager when he passed away but did not know South was the ever in that position. Frank's son Steve was discharged from the Army (he was in the Armed Forces Radio Network), he became the sports anchor at KWTX TV. He moved from Waco to an Austin TV station for a while but left the business like a lot of us because many of us required three meals a day. Not sure why so many like to rag on Dave. He did a pretty good job while he was at A&M.
Craigy
I have about 20- 25 cassette tapes of Aggie football and some basketball games from 1975-1980. These are from radio broadcasts. I would love to bring them back to life..
Cow Pie & Fries
Man if you could get those digitally remastered & put on CD's, us " olds " would gobble those up. ( Ag wins of course)
75-76 would be the old Exxon network & 77-80 would be the Mutual broadcasts .
Please preserve these & at the very least donate to the Cushing library!!!
Keep us posted!
superunknown
AG
I'd love to do this if Craig could get me the tapes or copies of them.

Be aware it would be very time consuming, so it wouldn't happen in a hurry. Not sure what I'd do about "remastering" them but I'd preserve them digitally as much as I could to make the sound quality hopefully not sound like a 40-50 year old cassette. Magnetic tape isn't always a great medium for quality, so there definitely would be a limit as to what could be done.
Aggie72BQ
AG
"Wildcat you *******s"
geb83
AG
Was CK the announcer that would end every game at Kyle thanking the crowd for attending and telling them on their way home to "please drive carefully ", and he would draw out the word carefully for effect.?
74AnimalA
AG
Tex Ag 81 said:

Early 70's:

Starting in the backfield, Bean, Greene, Dean and Dusek.

Also, tackle for loss made by the entire fightin' Texas Aggie defense.

I can't do the emphasis but the CK was awesome.
I thought is was....

Dean, Bean, Greene & Waaalker
romanagg11
Got used to Chace Murphy at Kyle Field. Still cannot get not used to the new announcer voice. Is there a voting for naming the new announcers at Kyle?
BoerneGator
AG
SA Ag said:

Gary Kovaaaaaa (r)
milner79
BoerneGator said:

SA Ag said:

Gary Kovaaaaaa (r)

"In on the tackle for the Aggies: Spit-zen-ber-gerrrr."
ontheway
AG
In spades

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.