Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Spectrum Trail Racing Fall 16/Spring 17

12,543 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The InTIMidator
Aggietaco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Congrats on getting the 100k solidified. Absolutely no chance I can run that distance, but I'll probably try my hand at the marathon again.

Already booked hotel and camp site options for the Davis mountains run and heard the Goodwater loop might be a bit slow.
AggieOO
Goodwater is deceptively difficult. There's no major elevation changes out there, but the footing is pretty gnarly in spots. Its a great loop though. We were just out there saturday scouting.
Aggietaco
AG
I heard. Though I didn't hear why it was done mostly in the dark.
AggieOO
Saddle Blazer 100K registration is live. Website needs to be updated, but the registration is up.
AggieOO
Information session tonight at Austin Running Company at 6:30p on the Sky Island race if anyone is interested.
jejdag
I hope y'all are gonna have one in Belton/Temple/Killeen, too! There's three of us from here planning to make the trip.
No biggie, we're going regardless. I'm something less than stoked now since I'm getting crap from my knee. Even though I am doing the shorter one, there's no way I can be ready for the distance, but I'll give it hell anyway.
The older I get the more and more this seems to be the norm.
Aggietaco
AG
Excited about the race, zoomed around the course on Google Earth a bit last night and it looks like it will be fun.
AggieOO
quote:
I hope y'all are gonna have one in Belton/Temple/Killeen, too! There's three of us from here planning to make the trip.
No biggie, we're going regardless. I'm something less than stoked now since I'm getting crap from my knee. Even though I am doing the shorter one, there's no way I can be ready for the distance, but I'll give it hell anyway.
The older I get the more and more this seems to be the norm.
so you'll be running the 100K at Saddle Blazer?
jejdag
Yes... if you can keep the course open for a week! Getting old, fat, and slow is not pretty.
AggieOO
Probably the most important thing we need to figure out regarding Sky Island is where we are watching the game. Marfa and Alpine are both equi-distant. We will have the dogs...i know Planet Marfa and Lost Horse in Marfa both allow dogs.
Aggietaco
AG
Wonder what the chances of picking it up OTA or through the park's cable system are?
Aggietaco
AG
Never mind, forgot about the open container deal in state parks.
AggieOO
i checked the possibility of HD antenna reception for ft davis the other day, and its a negative. Was thinking about streaming on my phone and casting to the chromecast, but not sure the signal out there would support it.

state parks say no alcohol, but as long as you aren't dumb about it you can get away with it. Then again, being gathered around a tv yelling will attract a lot of attention. I'll likely make the trip to marfa or alpine...probably marfa since that's where the wife wants to go and we are hitting alpine when we are out there in a couple weeks.
Aggietaco
AG
I wonder if ESPN/ESPN2 is part of the park's cable TV package? I checked my reservation and apparently I opted for the one with TV hookup as well. Roughin' it...
AggieOO
quote:
I wonder if ESPN/ESPN2 is part of the park's cable TV package? I checked my reservation and apparently I opted for the one with TV hookup as well. Roughin' it...

have a feeling the wife will want to go to Marfa just because.
Aggietaco
AG
Agreed. We'll be in Marfa for the game, either at a bar/restaurant or at a friends airbnb rental. But there's a whole lot of football between when I (hopefully) finish the race and 6PM.
jejdag
AggieOO
We just spent the weekend out at Davis Mountains SP (and Balmorhea). I've never seen it that green out there. Looking at pictures, I think I'd have a hard time convincing people it was west Texas.

We ran almost all of the trail in the main park (which is run on both distances). We wanted to run the primitive loop, but it was closed due to high water at Limpia Creek. I'll say this about the course...IT IS ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS. However, it will also be very, very challenging. There's some pretty steep climbing, lots of loose rock, and the grasses are pretty high, which makes it hard to see footing at times.

I really wish I was running this one, but at least we got to do some running on the trails.

Aggietaco
AG
10 days out!

Weather doesn't look too promising as of now. Hopefully it's not accurate.
AggieOO
that's about what the weather forecast looked like for this past weekend. we saw rain in the distance all weekend, but never got a drop.
Aggietaco
AG
Planning, grocery shopping and checking the trailer day for us. Hopefully we get the same weather you had. Still showing 60% every day. But those temps look nice.
AggieOO
I'm ready to hit the road and get back out there! This week is going to crawl. We don't get in until late friday night, but you'll see us multiple times at the Skyline Drive aid station!
AggieOO
The plan for the game is Planet Marfa. They have TVs and SHOULD have the game on. IF its raining, we may have to audible, as most of that place is outdoors.
Aggietaco
AG
Sounds good. We'll plan to join you guys. If the weather turns bad, we can always move to my buddies airbnb rental in town.
AggieOO
Successful weekend out at Sky Island. It got a little warm out there, but I think most people loved the course, though it was pretty challenging/technical. I'll let Aggietaco weigh in on thoughts of the actual race since I didn't run (and I'm a little biased).

Next up is 10/8 at Flatrock Ranch. I'll be joining you guys and running the half marathon. Flatrock is a great property out in Comfort! If you aren't going to CS for the tennessee game, you can finish and be home in plenty of time for kickoff (assuming they don't screw us with an 11a kick).
Sooner Born
I have a good friend on the Beer Salt team and saw some photos on Facebook. Looks like it was a great time.
AggieOO
Just finished mapping out the tentative loop that the 100K will do before running the marathon course. I actually have to shave about a mile off, but here's what the elevation profile for that section is looking like.

Aggietaco
AG
The race was excellent and the venue was amazing. We actually just got back into town last night after hanging around the mountains a bit longer and avoiding our responsibilities as long as possible.

Mini Trip Report:
Thurs - Ditched work a bit early to pick up the in-laws Airstream and get it loaded up, continued carb consumption and hit the sack early-ish.
Fri - Woke up early and got on the road at 6:45 to get out of town before traffic. Dropped off the lab dog with my parents and headed West. Took the North route out of ATX and followed 29 to 377 to I-10 to 17. Landed in Ft. Davis midafternoon, set up camp, checked in with the Spectrum Crew and then headed South to Marfa for dinner with friends.
Sat - Got up early to shower (hate running dirty), get some fuel, walked 200 yards to the Start/Finish line and took off. Wrapped up 6:15 later and promptly laid down. Had some lunch in the trailer with friends, showered and headed down to Marfa again to meet up with AggieOO and watch the Ags btho auburn at Planet Marfa. Made it until t-sip halftime before I convinced the rib to drive us the 30 minutes back to Ft. Davis.
Sun - Slept in then back to Marfa to meet some people for breakfast and consolidation of vehicles before we turned around and headed past Ft. Davis to Balmorhea for a cold dip in the springs. Ventured out past Valentine to see the Prada installation then to Marfa to relax before dinner. Ate dinner at Cochineal (very meh), had some great drinks at Hotel Saint George and wrapped up at the Hotel Paisano and back to Ft. Davis.
Mon - Drug the rib out on the trails for a bit and took some photos. Headed to Alpine at her request, looked around for a bit, found nothing and drove back to Ft. Davis for the afternoon. Spent some time with the locals and then went back to Marfa for dinner. Ate at one of the three open restaurants (Monday is a bad day for tourism in West Texas) and then hung out at El Cosmico with some friends until dark. Back to Ft. Davis.
Tues - Packed up shop and headed back to Austin. Had a little scare with gas but luckily coasted into Junction. Picked up the fur baby and made it home without consequence.

Race - The race was more difficult than I had anticipated. This was my first ultra and only my second marathon or longer race. I've done several 30k's now and extrapolating on those, I was prepared for about an hour per 10k for 5 hours total. I finished in 6:15 in fourth place, well beyond my goal time but way above my expectations being so close to the podium. The general race route was a 7.5 mile loop followed by a 12 mile loop and a 3.5 mile loop back to the S/F for one more try at the initial 7.5 mile loop. I started, at what I thought, was about 1/3 of the way back in the pack and we set off. That initial 7.5 mile loop was fairly well maintained, had some solid sections that could be run at speed and provided some great views. It included a dip down into the historic Ft. Davis before heading back up over the top of the mountain. The aid station was in a good spot and AggieOO, his wife and dogs were there cheering the runners on. I passed a few runners early and then followed one for a bit before he took off and I spent most of this loop alone before I caught back up to the same guy again just before the second stop at the aid station. The 12 mile loop into the primitive area was a different animal. It started off OK, with a run along the paved park road to the entrance where my wife was manning the aid station before running 200 yards down along 118 to a culvert to cross under the road. The first 3/4 mile or so on the other side of 118 are fine with 3, thigh deep stream crossings to get your feet wet before a seemingly endless scramble up, down and across a lovely mix of gravel, scree and larger rip rap. The weather was heating up on this loop with very minimal shade and the rocks were punishing on my feet. I spent the first third of this loop within 100 yards of that other runner until he finally stopped to breath. The uphills led to walking and a good chunk of the downhill was across loose enough ground that I ended up walking a lot of that as well. The aid station staff 3 miles in and again at mile 9 of this loop were fantastically upbeat thankfully. I made it back up the side of 118 to see my wife again at the main entrance aid station along with another runner that had caught up with me on the downhills before embarking on a b**ch of a climb up the 3.5 mile loop. I let the other runner lead the way for a bit as he hiked this section of the trail on Thursday before he had to stop to catch his breath and I powered on, cursing every inch of elevation gain. Once I made it to the ridge and my legs regained composure, I was able to do a bit of running along the 3 "peaks" before descending back down to the back side of the Indian lodge on site at the State Park. Passing the swimming pool at the hotel was almost too tempting as I was getting damn close to quitting, but I made it along the park roads back to the S/F to begin the last 7.5 mile loop. The first section of this loop had me pretty down emotionally since I was out of gas, the stepped switchbacks were starting to send some cramp twitches through my thighs and calves and I had missed the hidden aid station at the S/F line and had run out of water and fuel, but I knew I was doing well and the next racer was only a few hundred yards behind me after spotting him on the park road at the S/F. I mustered some energy and managed to run the flats along the ridge to AggieOO's station again where I was able to fill up a bottle of Tailwind and one of water all while dreading the final steep climb that would follow the descent back to the historic site. Finally seeing other 25k runners kept me on track and I made it back to AggieOO one last time before the 1.5 mile, mostly runable, descent to the S/F line.

5,467' of climb per Garmin.
AggieOO
some pretty badass pics from the race. Several good shots of Aggietaco. And as always, they are free!

http://azulox.zenfolio.com/p673117031
AgEng06
AG
quote:
some pretty badass pics from the race. Several good shots of Aggietaco. And as always, they are free!

Please tell me that's him in the sombrero...
AggieOO
quote:
quote:

Please tell me that's him in the sombrero...
nope. but i can tell you that the guy in the sombrero ended up being one of the smartest runners out there. The sun was INTENSE. The wide brim paid off.
Aggietaco
AG
My dumb butt didn't even bother with sunscreen on my shoulders. Something about starting a race when it's 65 and barely light doesn't make me think sunblock.

The pictures turned out great, even got me lurking on AD before I passed him up.
The Pilot
AG
The race pictures are always great
AggieOO
Stupid 11a kickoff for miss state. Wonderland will be a fast course, but not THAT fast.
Aggietaco
AG
Crap. I was holding out to register until kick time was published. Need something on the calendar but missing fooseball games pushes me towards laziness.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.