Radio Chatter re: Brookshires

11,743 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by suprafly03
AggieGunslinger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had heard that one of the reasons that HEB expands so slowly is they have strict rules about how far from their distribution facilities they will put stores, seems that the Brookshire acquisition would have jump started their progress in the area. But what do I know they are obviously smarter than me.
Stive
AG
quote:
Ugh. I can't get excited about Albertsons. That one at Troup and the Loop was awful, and just as expensive as Brookshires

This 100%
Dro07
AG
looks like its close to a done deal
Stive
AG
quote:

With Albertson's?
Mike92
AG
Albertson's or HEB?
Dro07
AG
quote:
quote:

With Albertson's?
thats what i just heard

Hoping my source is wrong but I highly doubt it
Mike92
AG
I wonder what would happen to Fresh? Albertson's doesn't have anything like that concept do they? I had hope that HEB would take over and make it a Central Market.
Dro07
AG
I don't know i asked the same question. I don't see how they can do Brookshires and Super1 while carrying Fresh. I thought maybe they would just sell off a portion but doesn't sound like it. Maybe HEB could buy out just fresh? Maybe the only saving grace from this.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Turning Fresh into a Central Market would be nice.
jickyjack1
Kroger and Albertsons have both been in Tyler (I think Albertsons was Skaggs Albertsons initially) and Brookshires ran them both out, along with a lot of other big boys -- Safeway, Piggly-Wiggley, Weingartens, Food Lion, etc..

Brookshires' prices have always been, and continue to be, outrageous. But their stores are immaculate, their "aggressive hospitality" always visible and the people in the offices evidently very, very smart.

I would like to see HEB in Tyler, too. My question in the case of Brookshires abdicating has to do with the fate of such institutions as the East Texas Food Bank. Like them or not, Brookshires has been a good community partner.

easttexasaggie04
AG
Well the big boys are coming back it seems.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Multiple times I have had to take back food I bought and got home only to find out it expired weeks ago. They never hassles me about refunding my money but never acted like they give a **** either. I am not a fan.
Dro07
AG
quote:
Multiple times I have had to take back food I bought and got home only to find out it expired weeks ago. They never hassles me about refunding my money but never acted like they give a **** either. I am not a fan.
Of Albertsons?
AggieGunslinger
AG
Sorry, Brookshires.
easttexasaggie04
AG
quote:
Kroger's here in Marshall is the same.
AGC
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

With Albertson's?
thats what i just heard

Other rumors are that half of the family is trying to rise $500M to buy out the ones that want to sell.
Stive
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

With Albertson's?
thats what i just heard

Other rumors are that half of the family is trying to rise $500M to buy out the ones that want to sell.
Which half?
aggieforester05
AG
I just want something like Fresh in Longview. If not that, I would prefer at least an HEB caliber store.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I have been looking for an investment opportunity, I wounder what kind of % I can get for $500.
Josepi
AG
quote:
I have been looking for an investment opportunity, I wounder what kind of % I can get for $500.
That should get you about 100 apples
Stive
AG
quote:
quote:
That should get you about 100 apples
That's funny. I was about to type "that will get you part of the produce section at the Bullard location".

Dro07
AG
Dang deal was terminated and Brookshires no longer for sale
Stive
AG
Interesting. Wonder what caused it to hit a snag?

Edit to add: If it's no longer for sale, that makes me think that the half of the family that was trying to raise capital to buy the whole thing got their funding.
Dro07
AG

quote:
Edit to add: If it's no longer for sale, that makes me think that the half of the family that was trying to raise capital to buy the whole thing got their funding.

I think they were trying to figure out how much they had to raise to buy the ones they needed out. They got a hard bid by albertsons and now they know what the monetary value is.
Stive
AG
Makes sense.

Now to see if they can raise the money.

Any idea what the bid was?
Post removed:
by user
aggieforester05
AG
I would agree with this if they'll put a Fresh in Longview. Otherwise I'd prefer a chain that will give us a better store.
jickyjack1
I am one of the biggest complainers about Brookshires' high prices and what I consider their condescending and false declarations of loyalty and appreciation to and of the customer. Like Wal-Mart, they have become -- probably out of necessity, granted -- masters of illusion.

In fairness, however, I have to recite an experience of yesterday: being an old who doesn't go anywhere, I filled my minivan up for the first time in almost two months, in which time I had acquired 800 'thank you points'. 19 gallons bought, 17 dollars expended. So, good on Brookshires.

Brookshires is hard to love, but once in a while you can like them a little.
shAGgin wAGgin
AG
I honest cannot find one redeeming aspect of Brookshires. Live in Lindale and produce is terrible, meat selection is non-existent, and they have decided not to sale beer and wine from up on their high horse. When I moved here 4 years ago I tried to only go to Brookshires because of my hate for Wal-Mart, but I have added 2 kids since then and the cost of Brookshires just takes them out of the loop. Of course Wal-Mart produce and meat selection is worse which is why we now go to Sam's once a month and buy nothing but meat and diapers. Sam's and Fresh are the only options for decent meat and I would say that Sam's beats Fresh any day of the week on quality and selection of standard cuts (price isn't even close either).

I had so much hope for HEB when this thread started a month ago.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I agree with your points but the alcohol part, they all sell beer and wine, but only certain parts of the county allow it.

Also, I think that Walmart and Sam's have absolutely terrible meat.
Josepi
AG
Agree with Walmart, but the Sams in Tyler has pretty good steaks
Dro07
AG
What i realized after this brookshires thing when i heard it was Kroger... It could be worse i guess
shAGgin wAGgin
AG
My issue with the beer and wine sales is that it has been approved to sale in Lindale. Wal-Mart in Lindale now sales beer and wine, and the gas station next door to Brookshires in Lindale sales beer, but Brookshires in Lindale has decided that they will not sale beer and wine and they were a part of the group opposing beer and wine sales in Lindale. I applaud them for sticking to their guns and doing what they believe, but it just another reason I can not shop there.

And come on, Sam's has great cuts of steaks, skirt steak, pork loins, and the best bags of chicken breast in East Texas. I will give you that ground beef, sausages, and the like are terrible at Sam's.
AggieGunslinger
AG
The last few steaks I got from Sams were tasteless. I don't mean I seasoned them bad, I mean the beef itself had no taste.

That sucks about the beer and wine. Odd to me that only one location decided not to sell beer and wine and wants to brag about it but the rest of the company is personally fine with it.

Kinda like the gas station near me that has a big banner advertising that they don't carry booze because they are "family first" BUT they have "tobacco" pipes and detox kits.
Post removed:
by user
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.