Radio Chatter re: Brookshires

11,710 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by suprafly03
Stive
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My assistant just texted me and said the radio was talking about HEB buying Brookshires.

Any validity to the rumor?

Oh yeah, one other thing....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let this be true!!!!!!!
AGC
AG
Reuters picked up news on the auction...so there's that.
Stive
AG
Auction?
AGC
AG
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0S822V20151014

Working with JPM on an auction.
Stive
AG
Got cha
RockOn
There's lots of chatter that the family owners don't really talk to each other. Hence the auction instead of an agreed sale.

It's legit, you don't hire a firm like JPM unless you're serious.

If it's not HEB, I bet whoever keeps the Brookshire's name.
Stive
AG
I haven't liked Albertsons in the past and have always liked HEB. Hoping for them.
suprafly03
AG
I'm curious how this will effect the local economy if this results in closings or layoffs in the distribution centers or HQ.

I'd like HEBs in town, but not at the expense of the local economy.
Stive
AG
There would be some white color reductions, but I'd bet the distribution center still cranks. It's centrally located, and could serve as a hub for HEB in this region.

This has been coming. I know a key executive that left there last spring and his primary reason for leaving was that he assumed they would be bought some time in the next 2-5 years. If he waited it out, he'd just be older and less attractive in the market place from a hiring standpoint. He got out while the getting was good.
AGC
AG
quote:
I'm curious how this will effect the local economy if this results in closings or layoffs in the distribution centers or HQ.

Certainly it will hurt but what about the effect of potentially having a grocery store that doesn't fleece its local community for every penny? More disposable income for a lot of people depending on who takes it over.
Stive
AG
quote:
quote:

Certainly it will hurt but what about the effect of potentially having a grocery store that doesn't fleece its local community for every penny? More disposable income for a lot of people depending on who takes it over.
This
gigemhilo
AG
In big business, distribution networks are just as valuable if not more valuable than brick and mortar stores. I would be shocked if distribution jobs are ended.
Mike92
AG
If this article is correct, it sounds like we better hope it's HEB that buys them and not Albertsons. I hope they don't close the playground in Tyler. My son enjoys going there.

http://www.tylerpaper.com/TP-News+Local/225370/brookshires-examines-options-amid-trends
AggieGunslinger
AG
quote:
If this article is correct, it sounds like we better hope it's HEB that buys them and not Albertsons. I hope they don't close the playground in Tyler. My son enjoys going there.

http://www.tylerpaper.com/TP-News+Local/225370/brookshires-examines-options-amid-trends

My son will be devastated.
Whitehorse
AG
Albertsons has been here before and didn't do well. Not because of competition so much as it was a pig sty. Place was filthy and poorly arranged. Would love to see HEB take this one....word is one of the 4 brothers doesn't want to sell and wants to buy the other three shares. Not likely at a $1billion evaluation.
aggieforester05
AG
The Albertsons in Longview isn't bad at all. It's not as nice as most HEBs, but it's one of the best in Longview.
Josepi
AG
quote:
Albertsons has been here before and didn't do well. Not because of competition so much as it was a pig sty. Place was filthy and poorly arranged. Would love to see HEB take this one....word is one of the 4 brothers doesn't want to sell and wants to buy the other three shares. Not likely at a $1billion evaluation.
That Albertsons in Tyler was awful. Every time it rained the ceiling leaked, and there were buckets in the aisles to catch the water. It was expensive too.
Ag pride
AG
Know a GC in town that just remodeled one of their stores.....he's been in construction 30 years and it was about the worst experience he's had working with someone. Let someone else but it and let the Brookshire family have the money, I'll take HEB in a heart beat
BMach
AG
When is the auction?
Josepi
AG
But if Brookshires isn't around, where will all of the bag boys who tell me racist jokes on the way to my truck go?
Ag pride
AG
quote:
But if Brookshires isn't around, where will all of the bag boys who tell me racist jokes on the way to my truck go?

Please tell me this really happened.
Josepi
AG
One bag boy told me a straight up racist joke using the N-word while walking through the parking lot. On a separate occasion a different bag boy told me a completely inappropriate joke (though not racist). It's pretty odd when it happens.
AGC
AG
quote:
One bag boy told me a straight up racist joke using the N-word while walking through the parking lot. On a separate occasion a different bag boy told me a completely inappropriate joke (though not racist). It's pretty odd when it happens.

That's the level of service you pay for at Brookshire's that you can't find at a discount grocer.
tx.agg.96
AG
Heard a rumor they are eliminating the bag boys. Starting at rice road. Something something, new OSHA issues, something? Not sure if I heard right.
aggieforester05
AG
I hope so, I don't need some creepy kid following me to my truck just to get a tip.
Stive
AG
quote:
I hope so, I don't need some creepy kid following me to my truck just to get a tip.
They aren't allowed to take tips.
aggieforester05
AG
They are at Albertson's, didn't know that about Brookshires.
EastTexAg09
With all the non-lolpoors on here we should be able to pool our money together an buy it.
Post removed:
by user
AggieGunslinger
AG
I am sure the poster on here that was driving to Rockwall to visit the Aldi every week is thrilled that HEB is changing.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I'm sure Tyler folks will be sad to see Brookshires go because of the headquarters, but the rest of us in east Texas will welcome HEB with open arms. /Marshall Kroger shopper
AggieGunslinger
AG
I will gladly take HEB, Albertsons can piss off.
suprafly03
AG
Sounds like it's Albertsons though...

Unless there is new news on the HEB front this week.
Stive
AG
Please be HEB!!! Please be HEB! Please be HEB!

Heck, even if Albertsons buys Brookshires, I'm begging HEB to open a location here.
Josepi
AG
Ugh. I can't get excited about Albertsons. That one at Troup and the Loop was awful, and just as expensive as Brookshires
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.