Houston
Sponsored by

Possible move to Houston. Who commutes to Med Center?

11,954 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AggieT
Wife is an Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am a Sienna resident and think it is a good choice. Majority of my neighbors all work in the medical center so commute can't be that bad but the guy above is definitely smoking something.
htownag10
AG
quote:
quote:
I won't be ballin' anytime soon. Not scared of a diverse neighborhood, just don't want people trying to break in every night. And I'm ok to drive up to 45 minutes.

Katy is the right answer with only a 25 minute commute into downtown
25 minute commute into downtown. 1 hour commute back home
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
quote:
Thanks for all the feedback. My biggest worry is selection of daycares,
If you move to the Tomball area, check out Kiddie Keeper Station
StillNotAnAggie
quote:
From Spring if you live close to the grand parkway it connects to the hardy toll road to get downtown and then onto the medical center. I drove 288 to hardy to grand parkway last week and it took about 45 minutes in rush hour.
My wife's clinic is in the Medical Center and she drives there 3-4 days a week. We live off of Riley Fuzzell and get directly on the Hardy. Her commute times vary from 35 minutes to an hour. You can check subdivisions out here.

I also believe that HAR.com has a "commute" option and will give you all of the houses in your search range with an estimated commute time.
bmb.ag14
So oooops. I didn't mean Tomball, I meant the Klein area off Cypresswood/Louetta. Another reason 249 is attractive is proximity to family who can help with kiddo. But I think that's more long term vs the renting just ahead of us.
FCBlitz
quote:
If all goes as planned, I may accept a job offer where the primary territory is the Med Center. Who here commutes there and where do you live? Our (me, husband and two-year-old) plan is to rent for 6 months to a year and then buy. I'd love to live close-in but don't want to pay an outrageous amount on rent. Mainly because we need to sell our DFW area house and then live on a lower salary until commissions kick in. We'll also need full-time child care.

Thanks.

Oh, apartments are out because we have a large dog.

Look at the Sienna area. Lots of medical people live in this area. It is at the bottom of the toll road that delivers you to the medical center.
Diggity
AG
the old 30 miles in 35 minutes TexAgs commute is one of my favorite tropes.
Aggie1205
AG
Spring Branch
Forum Troll
AG
quote:
quote:
If all goes as planned, I may accept a job offer where the primary territory is the Med Center. Who here commutes there and where do you live? Our (me, husband and two-year-old) plan is to rent for 6 months to a year and then buy. I'd love to live close-in but don't want to pay an outrageous amount on rent. Mainly because we need to sell our DFW area house and then live on a lower salary until commissions kick in. We'll also need full-time child care.

Thanks.

Oh, apartments are out because we have a large dog.

Look at the Sienna area. Lots of medical people live in this area. It is at the bottom of the toll road that delivers you to the medical center.
Don't come to Sienna, Its full. The toll road is all ours and only ours.
Forum Troll
AG
From a serious standpoint, it takes about 10-12 minutes during rush hour to get from the beginning of the FB toll road in Sienna to Hwy 90. The only people who use the toll road it seems are Sienna and Lake Olympia residents. The problem is once you get to 90 it may take a good 10 or 15 minutes just to get from the toll road to 610 and the another 10 or 15 minutes from 610 to your parking garage.

During non rush hour and summer it actually is about 20 to 25 minutes to the med center.
UndergroundAg
quote:
Spring Branch

Clol you cannot be serious!
Madmarttigan
AG
quote:

quote:
The community's proximity to the toll road makes for a 15-minute drive to the Texas Medical Center, said Kunal Seth of theSeth Brothers real estate team.

Did they up the speed limits to 120 when I wasn't looking?
HtownAg92
AG
quote:
From a serious standpoint, it takes about 10-12 minutes during rush hour to get from the beginning of the FB toll road in Sienna to Hwy 90.
How long does it take to get to "the beginning of the FB toll road"? Sienna is huge and there does not seem to be a lot of options in and out of there.

A lot of commute estimates are "once you are on ___ freeway, it is only 30 minutes to downtown." Never mind that it takes you 45 minutes of lights and traffic to get to the freeway.

For the OP, there are daycare options ITL, by the way. Move closer in and join a church with a school or daycare.
AgLA06
AG
quote:
quote:
Spring Branch

Why not? It's like the Katy commute being championed without half of the drive. Memorial schools and central location. It's getting expensive compared to what it was, but not outrageous yet.
XpressAg09
AG
Safe For Work Top Ten Reasons to Move to Houston
Texan1976
quote:
Pearland is best burb for Med Ctr. Maybe Sugar Land. No way I would consider Katy, Cypress, Spring,, etc.
Yep.
Texan1976
Also look at neighborhoods near Braes Bayou and Stella Link, Kirby, and Buffalo. I am sure those houses have appreciated a lot in the ten years since I bought my home, but I remember they did have some great values back then,

My BIL and SIL live off North Braeswood in between Stella Link and Buffalo Speedway. They have an excellent elementary school, Mark Twain.
Dr. Doctor
AG
If you look at Braes Bayou, look at flood maps as well.

It tends to illuminate why one house is $100k and the next street over is $300k.

~egon
HtownAg92
AG
Texan - Braes Heights has exploded the past few years and is now creeping toward West U prices. A lot of it has to do with Mark Twain, but be aware that it is bursting at the seams. They will have to expand or turn kids away, like West U has had to do. A close look at Pershing Middle should also be considered. It isn't for everyone.

If you want anything 15 years old or newer, you are looking at over $1M on the low end. Original 1950's houses are going for $600-$700k for about 2000 sq/ft. The lots are good sized though, if future rebuild is in the plans.
88jrt06
AG
I reverse commute every weekday FROM the Med Ctr. Hwy 90 is off-the charts awful inbound, with an incredible number of rear-enders and NO SHOULDERS for long stretches. Unless you are an off-hours commuter, avoid like the plague, which means the FB Toll Roadies are gettin' screwed. I know an MD couple who moved from their "dream" home in Ft. Bend County to Maplewood for that reason alone.

On Hwy 90, there are stretches where driveways terminate INTO 70 mph traffic....and 18 wheelers back right out across three hwy. lanes! Lock 'em up, again and hope your airbag isn't a recall.

Hwy 90 is just South Main (with all that that implies) jerry-rigged. It is dangerous.
Blaine_Bishop
My favorite posts on this thread are the one claiming 15 minute commute from westbury to downtown followed closely by the one claiming there are $100K houses along braes bayou between Stella link and Kirby. Nice work fellas.
Diggity
AG
my favorite part of your favorite part is that nobody made that claim about Westbury. Go buy an Atlas.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Spring Branch

Why not? It's like the Katy commute being championed without half of the drive. Memorial schools and central location. It's getting expensive compared to what it was, but not outrageous yet.
Dont mind him, it is his normal response anything related to SB.
aTm2004
AG
quote:
My favorite posts on this thread are the one claiming 15 minute commute from westbury to downtown followed closely by the one claiming there are $100K houses along braes bayou between Stella link and Kirby. Nice work fellas.

You might want to reread what he wrote. He didn't say there are $100k houses there. He used a made up price to identify an easy way to tell which one may be in a flood zone.
Blaine_Bishop
Zoso Ag did at 1037am on 7/17. Thanks for playing dummy.
Blaine_Bishop
So when he wrote $100K and $300K he actually meant $400K and $800K? That's pretty stupid.
agracer
AG
quote:
quote:
I won't be ballin' anytime soon. Not scared of a diverse neighborhood, just don't want people trying to break in every night. And I'm ok to drive up to 45 minutes.

Katy is the right answer with only a 25 minute commute into downtown
aTm2004
AG
quote:
So when he wrote $100K and $300K he actually meant $400K and $800K? That's pretty stupid.
He didn't mean any specific price. Just referencing that if they see a big price difference between 2 houses in that area, they should probably check the flood zones as there is a reason why one is priced significantly lower.
Diggity
AG
nope
Blaine_Bishop
In that area houses that aren't in the flood plain are not 3 times more than houses in the flood plain. The flood plain has very little effect on the pricing. Just another reason that was a terrible post.
AgLA06
AG
I find that very hard to believe. In Oak Forest, homes in the floor zones are often discounted up to $100k due to remodel restrictions, added insurance costs, and reduced pool if buys.

I imagine since Diggity is an agent, he probably has a pretty good idea on the discount for that area.
UndergroundAg
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Spring Branch

Dont mind him, it is his normal response anything related to SB.

FWA are you a Dirty Branch thug by chance?
Wife is an Aggie
quote:
quote:
From a serious standpoint, it takes about 10-12 minutes during rush hour to get from the beginning of the FB toll road in Sienna to Hwy 90.
How long does it take to get to "the beginning of the FB toll road"? Sienna is huge and there does not seem to be a lot of options in and out of there.

A lot of commute estimates are "once you are on ___ freeway, it is only 30 minutes to downtown." Never mind that it takes you 45 minutes of lights and traffic to get to the freeway.

For the OP, there are daycare options ITL, by the way. Move closer in and join a church with a school or daycare.
I live in Sienna. I do not live way in the back but do not live in the front either. I am near the Brushy lake fitness center.. It takes me approximately ~7 minutes to get to the entrance of Ft. Bend toll. Range would be 5-10 minutes.

Full disclosure, when school is in session there seems to be about 1 day a month where something happens with the lights & then it is a cluster*****to get out & that takes much longer.

Like I said I don't think the Sienna commute to med center is desirable but for how many of my neighbors do it I assume it is tolerable.
The Milkman
AG
quote:
A diverse neighborhood too close to the med center will equal people trying to break in every night.
Forum Troll
AG
quote:
Like I said I don't think the Sienna commute to med center is desirable but for how many of my neighbors do it I assume it is tolerable.
For the burbs its the best option, followed by Sugar Land and Pearland in no particular order. Or live ITL and pay outrageous prices for a shack or be zoned to terrible schools.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.