Houston
Sponsored by

Possible move to Houston. Who commutes to Med Center?

11,902 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AggieT
bmb.ag14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If all goes as planned, I may accept a job offer where the primary territory is the Med Center. Who here commutes there and where do you live? Our (me, husband and two-year-old) plan is to rent for 6 months to a year and then buy. I'd love to live close-in but don't want to pay an outrageous amount on rent. Mainly because we need to sell our DFW area house and then live on a lower salary until commissions kick in. We'll also need full-time child care.

Thanks.

Oh, apartments are out because we have a large dog.
aTm2004
AG
You'll find cheap housing near the medical center to the east of 288. Anything to the west will run you $1mm for anything that doesn't have squatter rats.
john2002ag
Probably should post a budget to help narrow responses. We live in Meyerland which would be close to the Med Center. Westbury is next to us and is cheaper.

Or if you are a baller, move to West U and be done with it.
AggieT
AG
Willowbend/Willowmeadows are 15 minutes.
bmb.ag14
I won't be ballin' anytime soon. Not scared of a diverse neighborhood, just don't want people trying to break in every night. And I'm ok to drive up to 45 minutes.
UndergroundAg
quote:
I won't be ballin' anytime soon. Not scared of a diverse neighborhood, just don't want people trying to break in every night. And I'm ok to drive up to 45 minutes.

Katy is the right answer with only a 25 minute commute into downtown
shihitemuslim
AG
From the memorial area, commuting to the Med Center takes 30 minutes in the morning if you go before 7. At rush hour, it can take 1 hour to get back.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
what will you be doing? med sales?
88jrt06
AG
Southgate.

Roberts Elementary. Outstanding.
See the Med Ctr. towers from your front yard.

Downside: Low inventory.
Upside: Not WestU....and less $$$ to boot.
88jrt06
AG
quote:
You'll find cheap housing near the medical center to the east of 288. Anything to the west will run you $1mm for anything that doesn't have squatter rats.

ORLY?
WorthAg95
AG
quote:

East of 288, likes Yates?

aTm2004
AG
WorthAg95
AG
Hey, I don't know. Haven't lived in Houston in over 10 years.
bmb.ag14
quote:
yes-

anyone commute from spring or tomball?
aTm2004
AG
quote:
quote:
yes-

Just a quick tip...avoid anything where you'll have to take I-10 west , 290, or 45 north to get home. No BS.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Move to El Paso. This town is full.
Diggity
AG
That sounds awful
WorthAg95
AG
quote:
What is this area like these days?
AggieT
AG
quote:
quote:
What is this area like these days?

Full of young families. Some of the area on S Post Oak is a little rough, but the neighborhoods are great. Been here of for 8 years.
WorthAg95
AG
Will you please recommend some N/E/S/W street boundaries?
InnerCityAg
Should just take bout 30 minutes from wherever you are looking.
jaggiemaggie
AG
lots of Aggies in Westbury. Depending on when you're moving, my rental house will be available in a couple of weeks.

email: jaggiemaggie at gmail dot com
TriAg2010
AG
Pearland isn't a bad option if you're willing to drive 30-45 minutes. It's a good value - safe, clean, affordable. But not much excitement or culture. Lots of rental home options in that area.
Al Bula
AG
quote:
quote:
yes-

Spring/Tomball to medical center is one one the most insane commutes ever.
Mustang1
AG
Pearland is best burb for Med Ctr. Maybe Sugar Land. No way I would consider Katy, Cypress, Spring,, etc.
Waffledynamics
AG
El Paso's a good neighborhood. Go there.
ZosoAg
AG
My wife and I live in Westbury and I commute to downtown (about 10-12 miles). Love the neighborhood. Commute is about 15-20 minutes when school is out, closer to 30 during rush hour when school is in season. Med center is even closer though. Both of my neighbors work in the med center due to the proximity, as do a good amount of other people in our neighborhood. If you look in this area, school zones and flood zones are important to be aware of.

Pearland is also great for those working in the med center. Still affordable and seems to be really improving in terms of restaurants and shops. They also have good school districts for your little one. Property values are only increasing in this area.

Someone above mentioned Katy. I have family and co-workers that commute from Katy and it takes them an hour plus to get downtown during rush hour. That being said, you can get more house for the money out there and their school system very good.

My wife is a realtor and has worked in all of the above areas so she knows them pretty well. Feel free to reach out if you have questions for her.
JetSet05
AG
I commute everyday to the med center from cinco ranch area via Westpark tollway. When school is in, traffic is horrible so I leave my house at 6:15 and then leave work at 3pm. During summer or when school is not in, I can leave in the mornings basically anytime without hitting bad traffic.

Being that your in med sales, I am guessing your schedule is slightly flexible and that not everyday you will be in the med center. So cinco is very doable on the side that is closest to westpark.
Joan Wilder
AG
If you're in Med device, you're not leaving the Med center at 3pm most days. I'd disregard advice to live in Katy. That's a beat down.

Pearland, galleria, south side place, or look at renting in upper Kirby areas. I have a lot of med device colleagues with families that live on the southwest side of town, or at town and country. That's as far west as I'd go.
fish_rich
AG
From Spring if you live close to the grand parkway it connects to the hardy toll road to get downtown and then onto the medical center. I drove 288 to hardy to grand parkway last week and it took about 45 minutes in rush hour.
Mack Brown on a Mobile
AG
Meyerland, Westbuy, Maplewood, or Willowbend. All of those areas are close, good schools, and fairly reasonable in price.
aTm2004
AG
quote:
From Spring if you live close to the grand parkway it connects to the hardy toll road to get downtown and then onto the medical center. I drove 288 to hardy to grand parkway last week and it took about 45 minutes in rush hour.

It's also the middle of summer
bmb.ag14
Thanks for all the feedback. My biggest worry is selection of daycares, hence the questions about places outside the beltway. I'm used to driving more with my current job, so driving is not a big deal. And it will be salesperson hours, not an 8-5 commute every single day.
SJEAg
AG
It's not a commute I do often, but med center isn't bad from older Sugar Land (First Colony/Sugar Creek area). From my location I just jump straight on 90 and take it all the way in. I'd say 30-45 min (summer helps a lot) in morning rush hour...typically only gets really slow around 90/610. Would probably add 15-20 min to that from the Sugar Land communities outside of HI6 since they'll either involve 59 or an additional section of 90 with a lot of lights.

Sienna or any community off Ft Bend Toll would probably work decently as well.
Wife is an Aggie
http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/fortbend/news/article/Vast-Sienna-Plantation-continues-to-grow-after-7968536.php

quote:
The community's proximity to the toll road makes for a 15-minute drive to the Texas Medical Center, said Kunal Seth of theSeth Brothers real estate team.

"If you want to live in the suburbs, the fastest commute time to the Medical Center is Sienna Plantation - period," he said. "A lot of medical professionals move to Sienna for that reason."

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.