Houston
Sponsored by

Nice Italian Place

10,114 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by htxag09
swimmerbabe11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oh yes, for sure

Order off the menu board, not off the menu.
DamageDone
AG
Mascalzone
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Patronella's is Italian for "complacent."
MAS444
AG
Yeah Patronellas just aint that great. It's average-ish Italian food. Nice people, cool little spot though.
Jaydoug
AG
Quattro at the Four Seaons.

Not as "romantic" as Da Marco, but.....

1. Chef Maurizio is Italian, like...from Italy. Food is authentic, hand rolled pasta, etc. Wine selection great.
2. You are at the Four Seasons. Book a room. Eat great food. Drink wine. Then......
DiskoTroop
quote:
http://www.jonathanstherub.com

South Brooklyn Italian

Pretty sure you can still bring your own bottle of wine too.

A much overlooked spot.
akaggie
AG
Carmelos is my favorite, followed closely by Piatta.
MaterialAg
AG
Damian's for a good meal.

La Vista for cheaper and a little quirky.
KatyAg01
AG
quote:
anyone have any experince at Da Vinci out in Katy? Reviews online are pretty consistent
Da Vinci's food is pretty good, but the atmosphere is not exactly conducive to "romantic" dining. Very small dining area, and tables are packed very closely together.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
Regardless, it isn't anniversary nice, it's just "neighborhood Italian" nice

To a dumb redneck like AustinCountyAg it is
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
OG Carrabas
84AGEC
AG
Cavatore on Ella

Carrabbas There are only two locations
Spore Ag
Agree Patranellss is not as good since Andre left/ died. Da Marcos is awesome but expensive and hawty. Went to Nandinas (drinking so not right name) on Shepard and I10. Food great and wine awesomely retail priced.
AgRebel08
AG
Surprising that TA is failing and failing hard on this.

Carrabba's and Maggiano's are in the same boat, might as well go to the olive garden - neither are quite or romantic. Don't get me wrong Carrabba's is better than the Maggiano's and that's better than Olive Garden, but hey you get fantastic salad and breadstick's at OG.

Where you need to go:

• Damarco's
  • Ciao Bello
  • Michelangelo's - hands down my favorite because of the atmosphere, piano player on some nights just good spot.

I like Damians and Antica Osteria but agree that Damian's is where your parents would go and I would say Antica Osteria is in the same boat but both would be more romantic that Carabba's.....

If you want a fun night why not go to Nino's / Vincents / Grappino, all three together in a little Italian village setting.

Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
Agree Patranellss is not as good since Andre left/ died. Da Marcos is awesome but expensive and hawty. Went to Nandinas (drinking so not right name) on Shepard and I10. Food great and wine awesomely retail priced.

You mean Nundini's? That's real Italian, but I haven't been there in years.
Burn-It
AG
The Rib & I frequent Carmelo's often, love that place. Good classic Italian, good wine list & awesome table side bananas foster

Quattro downtown at Four Season, really really really great food.

Damian's is good, but like others have said, not for romantic evening.

Sorrento is a cool place to go, good food and probably our favorite if we are meeting friends for dinner
AKA 13-0
Gig-Em2003
AG
Generally true but Jonathans the Rub goes against this. Their entrees can feed four people.
JSKolache
AG
quote:
quote:
anyone have any experince at Da Vinci out in Katy? Reviews online are pretty consistent
Da Vinci's food is pretty good, but the atmosphere is not exactly conducive to "romantic" dining. Very small dining area, and tables are packed very closely together.
Is this the place with the yellow Ferrari out front all day?
KatyAg01
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Is this the place with the yellow Ferrari out front all day?
Yes, with an oversized stuffed teddy bear buckled in the passenger seat.
Jack Klompus
AG
Carmelo's on Memorial
BMX Bandit
quote:
Carmelo's on Memorial

Great idea! OP probably never thought of this one.
Tom Hagen
AG
quote:
2. You are at the Four Seasons. Book a room. Eat great food. Drink wine. Then......

Pass out in a food/wine coma?
MAS444
AG
Only been to Jonathan's once and thought it was very good.
agdoc84
Ciros is really good. I10 and Bunker Hill.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
Indeed. For some reason I had always pictured a chain type Italian restaurant inside. Glad I finally went.

Also going to try out Antica Osteria for the first time tonight.
7nine
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Been to DaMarco a couple times but it's been a while. When going out for a nice dinner, for whatever reason, we just don't go Italian.

Anyway, has anybody been to Amadeo's in Kingwood? I've heard it's a pretty excellent Italian joint.

98Ag99Grad
AG
Patranellas isn't bad and you should be able to get a table. I also like Vincent's and Ninos on Dallas. One is a little fancier than the other but both have great food.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
quote:
Surprising that TA is failing and failing hard on this.

Carrabba's and Maggiano's are in the same boat, might as well go to the olive garden - neither are quite or romantic.

No, the original Carrabas are still run by the family and not a chain like Maggiano's.

Spore Ag
My problem with the Mandola group is their wine prices have too much of a mark up.
You know there are 4 Italian restaurants in the Rice village.
cypress-ag
AG
If you want a fun night why not go to Nino's / Vincents / Grappino, all three together in a little Italian village setting

For the evening...this is always a good choice. If weather is good...hit Grappino's before or after dinner.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
quote:
My problem with the Mandola group is their wine prices have too much of a mark up.
You know there are 4 Italian restaurants in the Rice village.
That is a fair point. I do hate paying wine mark ups.

Also, never buy the Mandola brand wine. It is cheap **** that they mark up. It used to be made by a legit winery in Texas, now its just junk.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
quote:
Indeed. For some reason I had always pictured a chain type Italian restaurant inside. Glad I finally went.

Ciro's is locally owned and independent. Ciro is actually the owner's first name, not some generic Italian name they pulled out of a book.

*Though I don't share this board's obsessive phobia of chains.
84AGEC
AG
There are only two Carrabba's

the others are a outback chain that are terrible
fatrandy
Just so everyone is clear, no-one is suggesting going to Carrabba's, unless it's the Original Carrabba's.

If someone came up to me and asked where they can find below average Italian food, aesthetics similar to a Chili's ran by a Jersey Shore dago and a place that smells like meat sweats and burnt garlic bread..I'd tell them to go to a chain Carrabba's.

But I can't think of any circumstance where someone would ask such a baffling question.
DamageDone
AG
Forgot about Ciro's. Great place.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.