Houston
Sponsored by

Nice Italian Place

10,058 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by htxag09
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Our anniversary is in a couple weeks and thanks to the steak thread I started I had it narrowed down to Brenners and Flemings (wanting to stay close to the west side if possible, not downtown)...now I'm considering an Italian place?

Any good suggestions for a nice/romantic Italian restaurant?

I've been researching Carmelo's but I couldn't find much info on texags about it....
Panama Red
AG
I went there once and was not expecting much based on how it looked.

Thought it was fantastic food. Will definetly go back once light rail goes that far.
Ag_07
AG
Magiano's is always good
Patronellas (just off Washington) is a nice little spot that's pretty good
Piatto Ristorante (in the Galleria area) is a great spot with solid food and nice atmosphere
DustysLineup
AG
No idea if this is another of your weird trolls, but Carmello's is fine. You could also try Ciro's on I-10 or Piatto in the Galleria. They're all casual by Houston standards but nice by Austin County standards, so starch up your Wranglers.
fatrandy
Sorrento's, Antica Osteria, Nino's. Can't go wrong with literally any of those. They're all a bit pricey, but I've never had bad service or a bad dish at either.

Maggiano's can get a bit loud b/c it's well known. Piatto's is solid, run by the Carrabba's I believe, but it's not like the chain Carrabba restaurants, slightly higher scale, not as much random trash.

Never been to Carmelo's
FtBendTxAg
AG
Cajun chicken pasta at Chilis if in Katy or cypress
gindaloon
AG
North Italia by the Galleria is good. However, not sure if I would classify it as romantic.

If you are not married to staying out west I would highly recommend Da Marco in Montrose.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
Piatto's is solid, run by the Carrabba's I believe, but it's not like the chain Carrabba restaurants, slightly higher scale, not as much random trash.

Correct on all points.

They're usually there making their rounds to the tables chatting up customers. Nice people and they know how to run a restaurant. Food is very good, not super upscale but nice enough for a romantic dinner, and decent wine selection.
FtBendTxAg
AG
quote:
quote:
Piatto's is solid, run by the Carrabba's I believe, but it's not like the chain Carrabba restaurants, slightly higher scale, not as much random trash.

Correct on all points.

They're usually there making their rounds to the tables chatting up customers. Nice people and they know how to run a restaurant. Food is very good, not super upscale but nice enough for a romantic dinner, and decent wine selection.

My favorite Italian in town. Their fried asparagus with crab is a staple.
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
North Italia by the Galleria is good. However, not sure if I would classify it as romantic.

If you are not married to staying out west I would highly recommend Da Marco in Montrose.
North is really good and has a great happy hour, but I would say its too crowded and noisy for what the OP is looking for.
MAS444
AG
Da Marco is in another league from the others mentioned.
AustinCountyAg
anyone have any experince at Da Vinci out in Katy? Reviews online are pretty consistent
DustysLineup
AG

quote:

Piatto is owned by a Carrabba (John Marion) but I'm not sure it's a part of the chain.
fatrandy
quote:

quote:

Piatto is owned by a Carrabba (John Marion) but I'm not sure it's a part of the chain.
It's not, I should've been more specific when saying it's not like the chain Carrabba's, because it isn't associated with the chain at all.

Edit: other than the obvious association of John Carrabba.
DustysLineup
AG
I wasn't disagreeing with you, just commenting. I really don't know, just know John socially and I think it's kind of his baby, but have never asked specifics.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah Johnny owns Piatto. From my understanding after he sold Carrabas he opened Piatto. Obviously he couldn't name it Carrabas but yes he does own it.
MAS444
AG
Piatto is really just okay. Some stuff is good...a lot of stuff is just mediocre.
fatrandy
quote:
I wasn't disagreeing with you, just commenting. I really don't know, just know John socially and I think it's kind of his baby, but have never asked specifics.
Makes sense, the original Carrabba's was so great, but then the over-saturation came and they became a chain synonymous with places like the Grotto, La Griglia, (which Fertitta ruined) and to lesser extents, Macaroni Grill and OG. And that's got to eat at him (no pun intended)

Good to see him branch out and have his own genuine place, separate from the more well known chains, because the last Carrabba's chain I went to was terrible.
MAS444
AG
So much misinformation...

Piatto is owned by John Carraba, who is cousin of Johnny Carraba, who owns Carraba's. Not the same person.

And the Carraba's on Kirby and Voss are still family owned and are always excellent (at least the one on Kirby is...I assume the same for the Voss location).
fatrandy
quote:
It's good, but I wouldn't say it's separates itself from the pack of Nino's, Antica, or Prego (which hadn't been mentioned yet)

I'll include Damien's and Tony's (even though I get terrible service there because I'm not an old white guy who looks like he's dripping in money)

Really in general, Houston is probably one of the best cities to have great Italian food, so long as you stay away from the chains, you really can't go too wrong.
MAS444
AG
Yeah Damiens is damn good...but it's the kind of place you go to with your parents. Nothing has changed there in however many years...which isn't necessarily a bad thing... Not a date place though unless you're hooked up to an oxygen tank.
DustysLineup
AG
quote:
Yeah Damiens is damn good...but it's the kind of place you go to with your parents.
Ha, it's my dad's favorite place for special occasions. So true.
DustysLineup
AG
quote:
So much misinformation...

Piatto is owned by John Carraba, who is cousin of Johnny Carraba, who owns Carraba's. Not the same person.

And the Carraba's on Kirby and Voss are still family owned and are always excellent (at least the one on Kirby is...I assume the same for the Voss location).

Notice I referred to "John Marion," not "Johnny."
WES2006AG
AG
The Carrabas on Kirby and Voss are still owned by the family and have much higher quality than the chain Carrabas.
Ragoo
AG
Damian's, get the Osso Bucco
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
Magiano's is always good
Patronellas (just off Washington) is a nice little spot that's pretty good
Piatto Ristorante (in the Galleria area) is a great spot with solid food and nice atmosphere

I used to like Patronellas, but the last couple of times I went there, I thought the quality was down significantly. Regardless, it isn't anniversary nice, it's just "neighborhood Italian" nice.

Another "neighborhood Italian" that is pretty great is George's Pasteria out on Dairy Ashford. If you live out that way or work in the Energy Corridor, check it out.

For a nicer Italian, Divino on Richmond is pretty darn good.
gindaloon
AG
Maggiano's is gross and not remotely romantic. Only good for fatties who want to be fat. Plus, with all the "chain" talk regarding Carrabba's it should be noted that Maggiano's is a chain owned by Brinkers, the parent company of Chili's.
Panama Red
AG
Fatties gotta romance too
taylor22
Jaydoug
AG
quote:

End of thread
MAS444
AG
When people recommend Maggiano's, they often talk about how awesome their huge portions are. Always the sign of a great restaurant.
tremble
AG
quote:
quote:

End of thread

Really should be. Particularly for an anniversary or w/e this thread is about.
swimmerbabe11
quote:
anyone have any experince at Da Vinci out in Katy? Reviews online are pretty consistent

Double plus good.

Really good, really romantic little dining room, it's pretty much great.
swimmerbabe11
Patrenella's is also really good, really cozy and lovely. Fantastic food too.
AgCPA95
AG
quote:
quote:

Double plus good.

Really good, really romantic little dining room, it's pretty much great.
I will second it - very good. You will pull up and go...what....normal strip center in the burbs but nicely done inside and food is excellent. Great menu with many specials the nights we have been.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.