Houston
Sponsored by

Unimpressive Houston athlete sightings

27,981 Views | 267 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Texan_Aggie
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ea1060 said:

Diggity said:

I was living in Midtown around the same time.

Watching Battier sing David Allan Coe on karaoke night at Christian's Tailgate was one of my favorite midtown memories.
Yea, I used to see Battier at Front Porch in midtown a lot as well. Thats an awesome story about him doing karaoke at Christian's Tailgate lol.

Used to see him on Washington a lot too.

Also saw him singing karaoke at Cats Meow in New Orleans wearing a high school letter jacket.
tfunk02
AG
When Pub Fiction on Washington was new, I saw Robbert Horry playing NBA Jam as himself on the Rockets.
HtownAg92
AG
Rudy T used to hold drunken court at Volcano back in the day.

Arian Foster was a regular at Wednesday night hot yoga in the Village -- in full sweats.

The legend John Powell Richardson was a regular at bars where no sighting would be unimpressive, but saw him at the Town & Country James Coney Island. Don't know if he was there to talk to the owner, so not sure whether to be impressed or not.
htxag09
AG
Saw Dennis Rodman at snooze in the galleria a few months ago….
Bonfired
AG
Sea Gull said:

Josh Fields goes to Lukes Icehouse all the time

Both Josh Fields' professional career and Luke's Icehouse are closed permanently.

The guy we got in exchange for Josh Fields is doing OK...
Scientific
AG
Seems like everyone sees Robert Horry the most, I saw him at the airport when I was 11 or so. Rashard Lewis and James Posey at Town and Country on separate occasions, Watson his rookie year at the Galleria, Moochie Norris and Francis at local gyms. Jose Cruz at Memorial Park.
T Durden
AG
Volcano or Velvet Elvis? Or both maybe...
Ag_07
AG
Ran in to Shane Reynolds at the Becks Prime at Memorial Park after a round of golf not too long ago

Actually played golf just a couple weeks ago with Johnny Jones the head BB coach at TSU (formerly the HC at UNT and LSU). He's a great guy and had some good stories to share.
HtownAg92
AG
T Durden said:

Volcano or Velvet Elvis? Or both maybe...
Probably both, but I was a regular 'Cano guy so that's where I would see him.

Reminds me, I miss old Bissonnet.
T Durden
AG
Kay's, Volcano and Savages. Can't forget about Marquis II.
lunchbox
Kevin Bass in the Missouri City Randall's back in the late 80s.
HtownAg92
AG
I can't believe that no one was witness to some great Tine athlete moments, like D-Bag Clemens and his meathead brother roiding out at Bayou Mama's and fighting the cops, or Brandon Backe's wedding brawl at the San Luis.
AgCPA95
AG
T Durden said:

Kay's, Volcano and Savages. Can't forget about Marquis II.

Spotted him at the Ale House sometime after the 2 championships as I was back in Htown working. Was pounding beers and smoking Kool cigarettes.
TxKng82
AG
My boys play basketball at Rashard Lewis' gym so we see him every once in a while up there.

Saw Matt Bullard couple years back at a Rebelution concert at HoB.
digging tunnels
AG
Recently saw, on separate occasions, Larry Dierker and Shane Reynolds at Costco
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Bump for new sightings
Screw new sightings; we need to dig up some old timers like Original Ag 76 to tell us stories about running into Oilers at the Dome Shadows or Crystal Pistol.

Related useless trivia I recently learned: Dave Elmendorf's sports bar "Elmo's" was in the location of Cahill's on Durham (or later Luke's).
jakelew04
AG
Nice bump timing.

Singleton never played in the majors again after my OP until he got called up by the Brewers this week over 7 years later.

He was so unimpressive that I didn't know how to spell his name. It's Jon with no h.
GoAgs92
AG
All unimpressive:

Hakeem Pumping his own gas in Sugarland while some guy tried to convert him to Christianity.

Rudy T drunk AF at some defunct sports bar

Clyde the glide watching his kids soccer at Post Oak YMCA

Rashard Lewis at Katy Little League, he has a very nice car.

Van Chancellor at the 19th hole at Meadowbrook, of course a little nicol joke was made as little nicol was with him
lb sand
AG
I saw Altuve at the bunker hill HEB buying steaks at the butcher counter. He was actually wearing an Astros tshirt that looked like it was from academy.
T Durden
AG
This reminds me that I saw Chris Dishman at the youth sports league in Cypress probably 5 years or so ago.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I feel like I need to help Rudy T out a little here. Used to see him at church with his family, even when he was head coach. Did catch him smoking out on the steps one time when I slipped out early, if that makes it more spicy.
HtownAg92
AG
I can go old school. Rob Carpenter, Oilers fullback, moonlighted as a PE coach at my elementary school in the 70's. Bud didn't pay sheeet.

Not really Tine, but Pat Zachery, pitcher for the Big Red Machine, dated and married another PE teacher at my school who was also my mom's best friend.
bigjag19
AG
That's weird. I thought I was your moms best friend.

I'll show myself out.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
Brandon Backe at Baybrook Rouxpour
southwestag
The one on 2234 or highway 6?

Joe Morgan lived in chasewood off Fondren - a lot of oilers and rocket players lived off Fondren and west bellfort - they were more visible then to the public as their kids went to school with everyone else

I had Olajuwon walk into my school gym for a pep talk when he worked out in the morning

No security or nothing -
Sea Speed
AG
Nobody Knows My Name said:

Saw him st the spot in Galveston several times
MAS444
AG
Chucky Brown at Treasures
cajunaggie08
AG
Nobody Knows My Name said:

I've stayed at one of his rental properties in Jamaica Beach before. Unfortunately it didnt come with a meeting.
maroon barchetta
Microwave Onions said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Bump for new sightings
Screw new sightings; we need to dig up some old timers like Original Ag 76 to tell us stories about running into Oilers at the Dome Shadows or Crystal Pistol.

Related useless trivia I recently learned: Dave Elmendorf's sports bar "Elmo's" was in the location of Cahill's on Durham (or later Luke's).

One of my dad's old pals spent part of his career as a houston cop. He was part of the team that raided and shut down the Crystal Pistol back in the day.

Would love to sit and hear stories of his time on the force in 1970's Houston.
T Durden
AG
I played summer basketball in a league at Elsik HS in 1989 or 90. Hakeem's agent's kid played against us once. So in reality Dream came to Elsik and watched me play ...
GoAgs92
AG
I also did an appraisal of Curley Culp's house, some neighborhood with Fondren in the name that had a lot of athletes in the 70-80s.

Bob Lee
AG
Rudy T's son was a senior on our high school basketball team when I was a freshman. I saw him at one of his basketball games.

Also saw Matt Schaub at a CVS by the Galleria before he healed from his foot injury.
chlavinka
AG
I used to see Rudy T out drinking beer. And smoking cigs. He was hard to miss.
Beerosch
AG
Probably the coolest story I have is from around the 1990 timeframe when I was a kid. My dad was getting golf clubs at some store off of 290. He saw Alonzo Highsmith there with some other guy. He told me to go get his autograph, so I did. I got the other guy's autograph too, because he said he apparently just got drafted and was going to be playing in the NFL too. Never gave the other guy much thought until I was watching a Cowboys game shortly after. Come to find out the other guy was Emmitt Smith.

Saw Caminiti (RIP) playing a video game in Best Buy in Sugar Land. Super friendly and engaging.

Saw Zan Tabak getting a haircut in Sugar Land.
agproducer
AG
I saw Craig Biggio a few years ago at the Walgreens near West U. He was in line in front of me. I didn't bother him. I forget what he was buying.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.