Houston
Sponsored by

Scary grafiti posted in Houston for HPD

8,824 Views | 138 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Texaggie7nine
Zobel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So one isolated incident in 1997, in which neither side was using up-armored vehicles, demonstrated the need for all municipalities to have such vehicles?
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
quote:
Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicles are over the top for civilian police forces.
why?
quote:
Fully automatic weapons are (generally) over the top for civilian police forces.
why?
schmellba99
AG
If you want to get really technical, a flash bang is a grenade. There are multiple types of grenades ranging from flash bangs, fragmentation, high explosive, etc.

I'm on the side that militarization of LEO's is not necessarily the best idea. I get the premise behind it, and have little issue with LEO's implementing daily equipment like kevlar vests or even tactical load carrying vests because they serve more than one purpose.

I do, however, have issues with MRAP's going to LEO's or the implementation of SWAT tactics for what should be non-SWAT issues.

For example - int he case where the flash bang grenade put the baby in a coma, why exactly was there an absolute need to raid the house? I've found that if you look at a situation where this is implemented - the vast majority of times it is not necessary and doing something as simple as waiting and making a better decision on when to arrest somebody would prevent a lot of perceived issues. A great example of this is the Branch Davidian raid. I'm not saying it is somethign that can be done in 100% of all situations - but generally speaking, and especially for something like a drug deal arrest, posting survellance and arresting the guy when he is at breakfast at Denny's or somesuch is less likely to have both a negative public perception and put officer's lives in danger as well.

I still can't understand where the DOJ has any authority over municipal LEO departments either. In fact, they should have absolutely ZERO authority as a safeguard - we have no national police force and never should.

There are great cops out there. There are craptastic cops. One of the biggest issues is the wall of defense of LEO's that needs to be overcome sometimes when a craptastic cop should not be a cop anymore. I get protecting your own, but LEO's should be the first to boot an officer that does not walk the line properly. And there should be more understanding on both the citizen and municipal LEO side of perception, what daily life is like, etc. Anything but the continual wedge that seems to be driven between the two anyway.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
again, your and the public's feelings are and should be completely irrelevant in making decisions about policy, gear, and tactics.
And some cops wonder whey they are having a public relations disaster the past couple years.
7nine
Zobel
AG
Why is it a given that police departments need armored vehicles?

Military gear is scrapped all the time. Should police departments have access to old tanks, APCs? Oh, police departments use helicopters sometimes. Should they also get old Apaches?

And give me a break with the tax dollars. I see ghosted out interceptors and brand new trucks all the time. It's no different than any other aspect of our government spending -- wasteful, budget driven, and completely out of tune with the rest of the nation.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
So one isolated incident in 1997, in which neither side was using up-armored vehicles, demonstrated the need for all municipalities to have such vehicles?
It is generally seen as when LEOs started "ramping up" because of the absolute chaos caused by 2 determined individuals against 400 LEOs armed with some shotguns and revolvers.

That is absolutely a time when an armored vehicle is useful as are long range snipers.

Zobel
AG
Because by nature they are designed to protect their occupants and operators from mines and ambushes. Last I checked, we don't have a high incident of mines or ambushes in the city of Houston.

Fully automatic weapons are designed, generally speaking, for suppressive fire. As a rule, shots fired on full auto are not aimed rounds. I see no reason for a civilian law enforcement agency to be using suppressive fire.
GigEmAgs14
AG
Just don't break the ******* law and mind your own business.

/EOT
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
And give me a break with the tax dollars. I see ghosted out interceptors and brand new trucks all the time. It's no different than any other aspect of our government spending -- wasteful, budget driven, and completely out of tune with the rest of the nation.
In Houston, most of the public safety budget goes toward funding the pensions.
Zobel
AG
What's an MRAP gonna do there? Drive up and squish 'em? Most civilian MRAPs don't have a gunner up top.

You've given a case study that you suggest caused the adoption of MRAPs. Can you show me the corresponding case study where the use of an MRAP addressed the problem presented by this case?
Zobel
AG
In an ironic way it reinforces my point. "No different than any other aspect of our government spending".

And he's saying that MRAPs save tax dollars. Uh huh.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
quote:
So because we are wasting money in other areas, we shouldn't care about wasted money here?

and i'm saying already built MRAPs save tax dollars over buying new police specific armored vehicles
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
What's an MRAP gonna do there? Drive up and squish 'em? Most civilian MRAPs don't have a gunner up top.

You've given a case study that you suggest caused the adoption of MRAPs. Can you show me the corresponding case study where the use of an MRAP addressed the problem presented by this case?
No, I gave you an incident that may have been different if police had a vehicle that was armored, MRAP, APC, or otherwise. And that shootout did lead to changes in how LAPD and other departments outfitted their officers.

http://www.policemag.com/channel/weapons/articles/2012/02/how-the-north-hollywood-shootout-changed-patrol-rifles.aspx
Zobel
AG
The onus isn't on the public to tell police forces why the answer is no. The onus is on the cops to tell us why the answer is yes.

Police officers should have the tools they need to do their jobs.

The MRAP and other up-armored vehicles were engineered as a response to a (military) need.

Police do not need them to do their jobs. "Free" from Uncle Sam or otherwise.

And you can't just park an MRAP (or any vehicle) and use it. They require maintenance and have operating costs. Your tax argument is silly.
Zobel
AG
What's that got to do with MRAPs?

I don't have a problem with an officer carrying a rifle. Or anyone else, for that matter.
dreyOO
As many crazy people as there are in the US, I have no problem with the police gearing up for worse case scenario. If they don't have the training or competence to know when to use it, that's on them and there should be hell to pay.

But I'd rather have them equipped then to be outgunned by thugs, cartel, etc.

Is militarization of the police force a real issue? Seems to be a very minor point.
Texan76
I guess MRAP maintenance if free. Probably does not require specialized parts or mechanics with specialized skills. I am sure the Crown Vic ball bearings will work just fine on the MRAPs.

It's all ball bearings these days anyway.
rjamizon
quote:

That's the thing. These policies do hurt innocent civilians. See the baby (likely mentally and physically impacted for life) in my article above. The baby was laying in a crib when police threw a grenade. We absolutely should favor protecting civilians from the state, not the other way around.
swimmerbabe11
These things are correct:

quote:
It's funny that you don't understand why people are upset with police, yet over and over again in this thread when people have tried to show you why, you mock them. I am 100% against violence against police, but if you don't try to understand why people are agitated, the police hate and violence will only get worse. Mock away.

quote:
quote:
quote:
again, your and the public's feelings are and should be completely irrelevant in making decisions about policy, gear, and tactics.

Wow. Just shut-up and comply, huh?

quote:

Chris Burbank has it right, and we could use about a million more like him.

quote:
I still can't understand where the DOJ has any authority over municipal LEO departments either. In fact, they should have absolutely ZERO authority as a safeguard - we have no national police force and never should.

quote:

quote:

That's the thing. These policies do hurt innocent civilians. See the baby (likely mentally and physically impacted for life) in my article above. The baby was laying in a crib when police threw a grenade. We absolutely should favor protecting civilians from the state, not the other way around.
Buck Nasty
AG
quote:

/EOT
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."
Ag of Enlightenment
AG
I wrote out a way too long essay going point by point on many of the things brought up on this thread, but realized its a futile effort. To get back on topic, things have changed in the US and here in the Houston area regarding Law Enforcement. I joined HPD to serve and protect my community and to actively root out those who wish to do harm here and the vast majority of cops in this town did too. Its a simple idea but have found its very convoluted in its execution.

Like the cops; dont like the cops; agree with me; dont agree with me; believe me; or dont, I can't control that. What I can control is me. And as for me, I am going to continue to go to work everyday and try to do my job to the best of my abilities. Only now, I now I have to go to a funeral on Friday for a man who died simply for being who he was, which is who I am.

I am a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf.
MouthBQ98
AG
I want officers equipped to do their jobs safely and effectively. I want departments and local governments to adopt a generally least violent means for most law enforcement tasks. More talking and negotiating and less raids and gunfire unless lives are already under immediate danger.

If the situation calls for it, I want them equipped to do the best job. I think that everyone, the public and the departments, needs to cooperate more and communicate better.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
GoneGirl
AG
Back to the original topic, per Channel 2, someone painted over it with a smiling face officer and the words "I've got your back."

Couldn't find a picture though...
Ag of Enlightenment
AG
quote:
I want officers equipped to do their jobs safely and effectively. I want departments and local governments to adopt a generally least violent means for most law enforcement tasks. More talking and negotiating and less raids and gunfire unless lives are already under immediate danger.

If the situation calls for it, I want them equipped to do the best job. I think that everyone, the public and the departments, needs to cooperate more and communicate better.
you know what SWAT stands for? Sit Wait And Talk. I'm not sure where people get the idea that No-Knock Warrants and Dynamic Entries are the norm, the truth is its far from it. In my almost decade on, I've only been on 2 scenes that became SWAT scenes. And SWAT scenes go on for hours. They will arrive, stage, brief, and make contact and then wait and wait, and wait. Unless of course immediate action is required which is only necessary if the loss of life is immediate. Narcotics Teams will more often make dynamic entries because they know the evidence (narcotics) can often be destroyed quickly.

Also, a quick reminder that all warrants have to be signed by a District Court judge and judges do not just hand out No Knock warrants, they are very rare. Law Enforcement in Harris Co. does not operate independently. All charges that are Class-B misdemeanor and above have to be accepted by the Harris County District Attorney's Office first, all warrants have to be reviewed by an Assistant District Attorney and then agreed upon by either a District Court Judge or a Hearing Officer (magistrate). All Hearing Officers in Harris County are former defense attorneys, not prosecutors.

GigEmAgs14
AG
quote:
quote:

/EOT
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."
So you're one of those....
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
quote:
you know what SWAT stands for? Sit Wait And Talk. I'm not sure where people get the idea that No-Knock Warrants and Dynamic Entries are the norm, the truth is its far from it. In my almost decade on, I've only been on 2 scenes that became SWAT scenes. And SWAT scenes go on for hours. They will arrive, stage, brief, and make contact and then wait and wait, and wait. Unless of course immediate action is required which is only necessary if the loss of life is immediate. Narcotics Teams will more often make dynamic entries because they know the evidence (narcotics) can often be destroyed quickly.

Truth, right here. It isn't what you see on tv - especially what you see on the news.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
wow, the people arguing over our police force using whatever they can to do their job boggles my mind.

Go put a badge on, walk a few days in their shoes, go make a bust in a gang infested/drug dealer area and tell me you don't want as much protection and force as you can absolutely have.

I am absolutely for giving our police officers every means available to capture or eliminate the criminals in our cities.
So much this. I'm just glad that my family members in HPD have finally had enough of all this **** and are retiring.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
I am absolutely for giving our police officers every means available to capture or eliminate the criminals in our cities.

The problem is, along with that means and sentiment, we enable cops to be monsters and we look the other way. We only have a problem when we actually encounter a cop that treats us like a subject to the state and gets off on throwing their power around because we didn't show them the full respect and admiration they think they deserve.

I have relatives in law enforcement as well. Doesn't mean I'm going to turn a blind eye to power hungry a holes.
7nine
htownag10
AG
How do you send a PM? Was trying to send one but I didn't want to throw actual names on Texags. Especially names of officers.
Texaggie7nine
Gotta buy stars
7nine
cheeky
AG
quote:
The simple fact of the matter is this: modern tactics and modern equipment (flash bangs, armored personnel vehicles, etc) save lives. We are not nor wish to be an "occupying force." We respond to dangerous criminals, we are not the cub scouts. I'm sorry if you feel intimidated by modern police officers.

That is one hell of a golification for what amounts to < 1% of a LEOs on the job acitivity.
htownag10
AG
Noooooooo. Freedom(Braveheart)
Ag of Enlightenment
AG
quote:
quote:

The problem is, along with that means and sentiment, we enable cops to be monsters and we look the other way.

I have relatives in law enforcement as well. Doesn't mean I'm going to turn a blind eye to power hungry a holes.

yeah, I have dumb s h i t family members too.
Texaggie7nine
Dumb ****s because they don't just say thank you and not question the fashion by which some cops do their "jobs"?
7nine

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.