Houston
Sponsored by

Karbach vs St Arnolds tours

6,536 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by yeahtoast
jetch17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Endeavour is a better example of what I expect out of a DIPA as far as big ass hop characteristic, although I now prefer Hop Delusion if given the choice

Of course clown is hoppy, it's just not in the sense of the others offered here in town that are more west coast geared
schmendeler
AG
the new best burger thread: best brewery!
Texaggie7nine
I really wish I could buy Dome Fauxm in a can.
7nine
JSKolache
AG
Karbach's patio is big & chill. Great place to hang out for a few hrs. StA is indoors & crowded. I like their beer more, but would always choose Karbach to hang out.
Hickory High
AG
quote:
Karbach's patio is big & chill. Great place to hang out for a few hrs. StA is indoors & crowded. I like their beer more, but would always choose Karbach to hang out.

I can understand this.
drumboy
AG
quote:
Endeavour is a better example of what I expect out of a DIPA as far as big ass hop characteristic, although I now prefer Hop Delusion if given the choice

Of course clown is hoppy, it's just not in the sense of the others offered here in town that are more west coast geared

Ironically Rodeo Clown has an IBU 10 or so higher than Endeavour.
drumboy
AG
quote:

SA will have a big nice beergarden across the street where the tow lot was in the maybe kinda near future.
jetch17
AG
quote:
quote:

It's like rain on your wedding day
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's like rain on your wedding day
with one hand in your pocket, and the other one is holding a draft beer.
Texaggie7nine
It's like 10 thousand Bud Lights when all you need is an IPA
7nine
schmendeler
AG
if you can't find an ipa, just go bite into a grapefruit. same thing.
Texaggie7nine
I hate grapefruit.

Though the grapefruit Sculpin IPA is pretty damn good.
7nine
Farmer1906
AG
Doesn't Shiner have a grapefruit beer. That thing sucks.
schmendeler
AG
you should love the peel, though. it's almost as bitter as an IPA.
Texaggie7nine
That's like saying, if you really want chocolate but can't find some, go eat an apple. They are both sweet.

And I hate Ruby Redbird.
7nine
schmendeler
AG
it's a joke, but it's closer than chocolate and apple. grapefruit is a huge presence in most hoppy profiles.
Hickory High
AG
As I've gotten more and more into craft beer, it's clear that Shiner doesn't really have that great off stuff. I'll still drunk it because I'm a Texan, but it's very meh now.
schmendeler
AG
welcome to the realization of everyone else.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
welcome to the realization of everyone else.
I didn't see the light until about 4 years ago. I was young and dumb.
schmendeler
AG
I call it the texas factor. some people think that if it's from texas it has to be better. you see it with the shiner fans, blue bell fans, or Whataburge, among others. it's not that those things aren't good, it's just that people get weirdly defensive about them if you say that there are other things that are better. almost like you're insulting their family.
Texaggie7nine
Shiner is still a solid go to beer in bars that don't have craft beer.

I'll take a shiner over a Bud or Miller any day.
7nine
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
It seems that the folks that think Karbach is better are the folks that like the hoppy bitter stuff. I prefer the other end of the spectrum and think St. Arnolds is better. Karbach hasn't done much on the malty or darker side of things, where as St. Arnolds has some good stuff out there. Even the Karbach Oktoberfest tasted like hops in a blender with a splash of brown beer.
Mother in Lager.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Thinking about it, have any of the Houston breweries put out a decent porter or stout?
redag06
Buffalo Bayou or 8th Wonder Rocket Fuel are the better stouts/porters in town.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
Thinking about it, have any of the Houston breweries put out a decent porter or stout?
Like I said before. Hellfighter.

But if you like stouts and porters, you really need to hit up Buffalo Bayou.

Smoke on the Bayou
Mud Turtle
Lenins Revenge
Gingerbread Stout
Chai Porter

And many more
7nine
drumboy
AG
quote:
I hate grapefruit.

Though the grapefruit Sculpin IPA is pretty damn good.

100% agree
jetch17
AG
this oughta be good when the weather cools off

ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
quote:
Like I said before. Hellfighter.

But if you like stouts and porters, you really need to hit up Buffalo Bayou.

Smoke on the Bayou
Mud Turtle
Lenins Revenge
Gingerbread Stout
Chai Porter

And many more

Yeah, I always forget about Hellfighter because they don't bottle it and I don't spend enough time in bars anymore. Love me some BBH.

Good call on the Buff Bayou. I need to keep more of them around. Lenin's Revenge is great and the Red Velvet Stout is legit. The first time I went to Buffalo Bayou I had like 4 Smoke on the bayou's when it first came out. It's delicious but I had a terrible hangover the next day.
jetch17
AG
the brewery has BBH bombers for sale in the gift shop still
Texaggie7nine
quote:
this oughta be good when the weather cools off

Where is their brewery at in Houston? I know very little about them. Do they intend to have tours?
7nine
drumboy
AG
quote:

Buried Hatchet

Town in City's Porter is good too, but gonna be hard to find unless you go to their taproom.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
quote:
quote:
It seems that the folks that think Karbach is better are the folks that like the hoppy bitter stuff. I prefer the other end of the spectrum and think St. Arnolds is better. Karbach hasn't done much on the malty or darker side of things, where as St. Arnolds has some good stuff out there. Even the Karbach Oktoberfest tasted like hops in a blender with a splash of brown beer.
Mother in Lager.
Yeah, forgot about that one. In my defense, it is very forgettable. It is not hoppy, but it isn't really anything. There is no flavor to it at all. It is like a mix between 2 parts Santo, and 8 parts Ozarka.
jetch17
AG
Brash is Ben from Petrol stations brewery. Theyve been brewing up in the northeast due to Texas Laws preventing a brewpub license down here. Now that its approved the brewery is over in some 13,000ft warehouse in Garden Oaks.

kegs have just recently started distribution to bars around town. EZ-7 pale ale is damn good, drinks like a sessionable IPA. P*ssy Wagon IPA just hit bars this week. i think Cali Green and Vulgar Display of Power are in the coming months.
yeahtoast
AG
Didn't know Brash is starting distribution. That makes me very happy. Guess that's what I get for moving so far away.

Southern Star Bombshell is my go-to non-bud light now, and Buried Hatchet is delicious for stout fans. Their new place should be opening sometime late this year/early next.

jetch17
AG
im gonna go pick up some crowlers of P*ssy Wagon tomorrow for the weekend. Plus its just an excuse to fugg off the afternoon at Petrol or Hughies for a long lunch
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.