Houston
Sponsored by

HCAD 2015

65,920 Views | 514 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Sooper Jeenyus
JJxvi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
May 31st is the deadline.

It's ridiculous but section 41.44 (a)(1) of the tax code basically says that the deadline is...

quote:
before May 1 or not later than the 30th day after the date that notice to the property owner was delivered to the property owner as provided by Section 25.19, if the property is a single-family residence that qualifies for an exemption under Section 11.13, whichever is later;

Which means that for a residence that qualifies for a homestead exemption the deadline would theoretically be April 30.

Then, in a subsection 41.44 (b-1) a few lines later there is this...

quote:
Notwithstanding Subsection (a)(1), an owner of property described by that subsection who files a notice of protest after the deadline prescribed by that subsection but before the appraisal review board approves the appraisal records is entitled to a hearing and determination of the protest if the property owner files the notice before June 1.

Which basically is just saying..uh yeah ignore that thing we said before in a-1, file by May 31 and you're still entitled to the process.
JJxvi
AG
Both of those sections were added to the code in 2007 or 2008 around the same time, which just goes to show you how ****ed up making changes to laws can be. Someone got (a)(1) added and someone else got (b-1) added so that it didn't mean anything, except now its complicated and confusing whereas before it was just a simple 30 days or before June 1 language for all property.
JJxvi
AG
The fact that HCAD is basically the only district I've ever seen mention the April 30, leads me to suspect who wanted an April 30 deadline for homeowners in the first place...
Cowboy Curtis
AG
I have yet to receive my value on our new property in Westbury. Most neighbors around us have received values. Although we bought the house in March, so I have no idea when we'll see anything.

schmellba99
AG
My entire neighborhood got the 10% max. I think my assessment went up about 20%, but it's still below what my refi appraisal came in at about 18 months ago.

I pretty much plan to see a 10% increase for the rest of my life. It is sad that I actually pay more in taxes in TX, who loves to tout the "no state income tax" mantra than I did in AZ where I had both a property tax and a state income tax.
Jack Klompus
AG
quote:
PROTEST DEADLINE
The deadline for filing your property value protest this year is June 1.
If you are noticed late, you will have at least 30 days from the date of notice to file your protest.
hcad.org
Cru
S
Just an update as many people have been asking.

Jubally is providing free protest forms this year as soon as the 2015 data is in the system in full. Just a little bonus for visiting the site.

Jubally is expecting to have all of the 2015 data for Harris county validated in the system this week, and hoping to go live for 2015 on May 1st, maybe a day later.

Ft Bend hasn't released the data yet. Two weeks out.
Galveston has - Testing, maybe a week out or two out.
Montgomery has - Testing, maybe a week out or two out.
Williamson has - Testing, maybe a week out or two out.
Travis has - Testing, maybe a week out or two out.

You do not need to wait for Jubally to be live in order to file your protest, you can do that at anytime.
Removed:15444557
Figured this may be the best place to ask this, but does anyone have any information regarding protesting the condition their house? There doesn't seem to be much on their website unless I haven't found it yet.

http://www.hcad.org/help/physicalcondition.asp

I have protested the home appraised value before but haven't read much on "protesting" the condition of the house.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Figured this may be the best place to ask this, but does anyone have any information regarding protesting the condition their house? There doesn't seem to be much on their website unless I haven't found it yet.

http://www.hcad.org/help/physicalcondition.asp

I have protested the home appraised value before but haven't read much on "protesting" the condition of the house.
I did this one year. I made a list of the conditions of all properties on my block that were similar to my home, and took pictures of each one. I took the worst, most unflattering pictures of my house I could. I used those to show HCAD that my house was in worse condition than similar properties.
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
Just submitted an iFile hoping for the best as I know I'm not getting below my "appraised"
rononeill
RTT did you have any luck? if so, was it at the prelim or the board hearing?
Ryan the Temp
AG
It was at the informal, and it got them to downgrade the condition.
KurtK85
AG
Fort Bend appraisals are now up.

Mine increased 15%
AGeng25
AG
I'm relatively new to this, so please go easy on me with these questions. My 2015 FBCAD appraisal just came out and they list 2 final figures in the following manner (I have my homestead exemption in place). The numbers are examples to make things easy:

Appraised = $310,000
Homestead Cap = $10,000
Assessed = $300,000

The 2014 assessed value was $272,727, meaning my assessed value went up 10% (the max). My question is regarding the "appraised" value above. Does this reflect "market" value? If so, poor choice of words by FBCAD. The Homestead Cap value represents how much was taken away from "appraised" value in order to meet the max cap due to the HS exemption -- i.e. they wanted to assess more prop tax but can't b/c of HS exemption.

Next year, if my assessed value increases 10% again, they will use the above "Assessed" value to start from, correct? Not the "Appraised" value?
cena05
AG
Ft. Bend: mine went up 12%.

I purchased last June and applied for the Homestead exemption, so I should only see max 10% increases, correct? Is my 12% increase because i purchased last year and to be eligible for the HS exemption you must own the home Jan. 1st?

Also, assessed value is still below my purchase price therefore I assume I would have no justification for a protest. TIA
thann07
AG
My FB house just went up 18% this year.

We bought in 2012 and couldn't get the appraiser to meet our offer by $3k. We are now at $73k more than the appraiser said it was worth.

Homestead exemption will be a friend.
TXTransplant
quote:
Ft. Bend: mine went up 12%.

I purchased last June and applied for the Homestead exemption, so I should only see max 10% increases, correct? Is my 12% increase because i purchased last year and to be eligible for the HS exemption you must own the home Jan. 1st?

Also, assessed value is still below my purchase price therefore I assume I would have no justification for a protest. TIA

Yes, since you bought last June, you aren't eligible for the 10% cap this year. It will kick in for your appraisal next year (2016), since you did own the home on Jan 1 of 2015.
Mustang1
AG
What is jubally?
Diggity
AG
...and still pending
jaggiemaggie
AG
Just looked at nearby addresses and my neighbor is still getting pre flipped values on their taxes. Their market and appraised are over $150k lower than mine even though theirs is also renovated. How is this possible?!
redag06
Just got my protest results back, they were able to get it knocked down 10.5%. That is why you always protest!
skiag
AG
quote:
Just looked at nearby addresses and my neighbor is still getting pre flipped values on their taxes. Their market and appraised are over $150k lower than mine even though theirs is also renovated. How is this possible?!

They were smart and didn't take out permits.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
quote:

They were smart and didn't take out permits.
That's probably true.
malenurse
AG
http://www.fbherald.com/news/article_a1626577-709f-5e13-aee6-8982a8f43180.html

Sorry, behind a paywall but the gist of the article:

quote:
Up to 145,000 homeowners in Fort Bend County may have received tax appraisals containing incorrect estimates of total taxes owed, Central Appraisal District officials said Monday.
outlawag
AG
That would be me. The total estimated tax bill they put on the assessment does not equal (its less than) the the math if you use home value and tax percentage.

Sienna Plantation - we went up the homestead capped 10% appraisal is 20k higher.

Don't know if its worth protesting, I think FB county is getting thier pound of flesh.
pnut02
AG
quote:
Jubally is expecting to have all of the 2015 data for Harris county validated in the system this week, and hoping to go live for 2015 on May 1st, maybe a day later.
Cru - I'm assuming values still haven't been posted yet based on the website wording? https://jubally.com/shop
MAS444
AG
Mine is still pending too. I will just assume ours slipped through the cracks and we won't have to pay taxes this year.
Cru
S
quote:
quote:
Cru - I'm assuming values still haven't been posted yet based on the website wording? https://jubally.com/shop
We switched over to a new system early early this morning. 2015 values for Harris are in. Caveat - We have not sent a notification email to everyone yet as we're still testing a few things, so you might experience an issue here and there. You should be able to retrieve your suggested values. If you get an error, please let us know so we can look into it. Some errors are normal and intentional, some are not. On the user dashboard, the "Instructions" document isn't downloading just yet, and that's one issue we're working through.

Galveston, Ft Bend, Travis, Montgomery, Bexar, Brazos, and Lubbock will come online in the next week or two. For now, we are providing "free" protest forms to help you get the process started.
pnut02
AG
Reason I ask is when I first checked on Jubally, it had a suggested price of 40k lower than what it is suggesting now. Haven't paid for this year yet, but will do that in the next week or so.
Cru
S
2014 values were in up until this morning. We disabled that a few weeks ago to prevent confusion though we had stated there were 2014 values.

shoot us an email and I'll take a look at your report. support at jubally dot com
pnut02
AG
No biggie - was just curious. Let me pay for your product first and look it over. I'll hit you up if I have questions then. It's my own fault for not catching the 2014 values.
Cru
S
Oh, it was for my benefit, too. I haven't even really had a chance to look at values much this year. I'm dead tired.
cwpaggie07
AG
So HCAD overvalued me by $60k per Jubally. Still won't knock it down past the 10% cap, but still worth it to fight it.

Cru - I'm getting an error message when i try and purchase the 2015 report.

TIA
pnut02
AG
quote:
Oh, it was for my benefit, too. I haven't even really had a chance to look at values much this year. I'm dead tired.
Ok - I'll send an email your way

I can't tell if it sent or not - if not, let me know.
quote:
This is somewhat embarrassing, isn't it?
It seems we can't find what you're looking for.
Cru
S
quote:
So HCAD overvalued me by $60k per Jubally. Still won't knock it down past the 10% cap, but still worth it to fight it.

Cru - I'm getting an error message when i try and purchase the 2015 report.

TIA
Sorry, I'm not going to be able to monitor this thread all day today while working through these little issues that came up from changing all of our code and systems.

If you will, just shoot an email to me (address above or use the contact form on the website).

We saw that issue earlier today and that person cleared their cache and it worked. But please, email us so we can better assist.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.