Houston
Sponsored by

HCAD 2015

65,965 Views | 514 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Sooper Jeenyus
Olive Bomb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
If someone wants to buy my house for market value, I will sell today
That's the rub. This is the first year where lots of people couldnt sell for that number even if they wanted to. My market value went up 35%... there's not a chance I could sell for what HCAD has the value pegged at. Nothing in the neighborhood has sold for close to that.
Cru
S
quote:
quote:
Isn't the conventional industry wisdom that HCAD market value = 80% of "real" market value?

That was my experience in Brazos County. They didn't seem to use sales price info from the MLS, though. I didn't know anyone whose appraised value was even close to the sales price/market value.
Brazos CAD doesn't have access to MLS sales at this time.
Cru
S
quote:
quote:
unfortunately, HCAD doesn't really go for that argument.
Prop 13 in California prevents property taxes from rising more than 2% per year unless the property sells. This goes for residential and commercial properties. I wouldn't be opposed to something similar in Texas.

Also, in some european countries, the local government has first right of refusal on real estate transactions for whatever price you have the asset under contract for. The more you know....
Full disclosure state.
TXTransplant
quote:
quote:
quote:
Isn't the conventional industry wisdom that HCAD market value = 80% of "real" market value?

That was my experience in Brazos County. They didn't seem to use sales price info from the MLS, though. I didn't know anyone whose appraised value was even close to the sales price/market value.

So why do some counties have it and not others? Who makes the rules when it comes to that?
Mr. McGibblets
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

So why do some counties have it and not others? Who makes the rules when it comes to that?

Budgets
maroonout32
AG
To my knowledge, HCAD and all CAD's are not allowed to reference HAR or MLS data. In the sales verification project, appraisers did look up listing information to check for the condition of houses, but the actual sales data comes from sources other than MLS. Usually title companies and mortgage companies and such
Cru
S
quote:
To my knowledge, HCAD and all CAD's are not allowed to reference HAR or MLS data. In the sales verification project, appraisers did look up listing information to check for the condition of houses, but the actual sales data comes from sources other than MLS. Usually title companies and mortgage companies and such

Overall that is correct. I know Hcad gets their from at least two places, MLS and Stuart Title.

Cru
S
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Budgets

And surprisingly the MLS doesn't want to sell it many times.

I filed an open records request with many cads this past year and tried to justify the release of the info to me to quality check and validate the time adjustments. The AG told me no, and so I voted for mole.

That last part wasn't true but sure wanted to.
Cru
S
I think November through February sales are going to be pretty critical this year.
El Chupacabra
15% capped at 10%. I'd put it on the market tomorrow if I wasn't currently on an assignment out of state.

I'll be selling in September or so and will let my company cover the commissions. Would be ECSTATIC to sell at the HCAD value.

Cottage grove.
94chem
if I had an independent appraisal as part of a refi, can I use that to lower the HCAD valuation?
LeftyAg89
AG
My tri-plex rental went up 64% !!!! 288k to 472k !!! What the #$#!$#$^!!! Last year it went up 12% ! (Spring Branch area)
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
quote:
My tri-plex rental went up 64% !!!! 288k to 472k !!! What the #$#!$#$^!!! Last year it went up 12% ! (Spring Branch area)

-If it is zoned to Memorial it is probably worth that :/
Diggity
AG
Mr. Mc., Do you have any idea when all the values are due? The southwest side is still showing pending.
TriAg2010
AG
quote:
quote:
If someone wants to buy my house for market value, I will sell today.

HCAD should have to buy it at "market value".

What about this: If you put your house on the market at a price of your choosing and get no offers for 30 days, then your HCAD value should not exceed the listed price.

It would require the owner to eat a seller's agent fee but would also require some brinkmanship in not overshooting or undershotting the market value. Too low and you'll get offers. Too high and you'll leave money on the table.
Diggity
AG
seems like it would be easier to just protest
htxag09
AG
My value went up 24%. But what is mind boggling is my land value stayed the same and my building value went up 44%. How in the world does that make any sense???
aTm_bomb
AG
Read the earlier posts. Its called appreciation.

YWIA.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
quote:
Mr. Mc., Do you have any idea when all the values are due? The southwest side is still showing pending.

No clue. If I were a betting man...and I am...I would think the taxing jurisdiction is holding the release. They may be in dispute that it should be higher.
Diggity
AG
Wouldn't it be the same taxing jurisdiction as most of the city? I'm in Wesbury and they're holding values for this whole area it seems.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Could be the ISD
Post removed:
by user
Diggity
AG
It's just strange that HISD wold hold those amounts for the neighborhoods b/w 59/288 going SW, but not the rest of the district.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
quote:
i know its not much help, but im in Galveston county and mine have not been released yet either.

Districts by law have until April 30th to release values for the May 31st protest deadline.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
quote:
It's just strange that HISD wold hold those amounts for the neighborhoods b/w 59/288 going SW, but not the rest of the district.

HISD put a block on all vacant land accounts for 2 weeks last year bc they felt the values were low. Ended up dropping their cause and HCAD reopened the hearings. Crazy **** happens down there.
Diggity
AG
quote:
Districts by law have until April 30th to release values for the May 31st protest deadline.
I was told by someone that they're only required to have 90% released by that deadline. Not sure if that's correct.
JJxvi
AG
They are supposed to send notices of value by April 1 or "as soon as practicable" for residential single family homes and by May 1 or "as soon as practicable" for the rest. When you get into personal property and things "as soon as practicable" might be quite late.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
still pending too.
dreyOO
OF house has the homestead. Up $100k but hit the 10% limit fortunately.

Rental townhouse in Midtown stayed flat. Dodged a bullet there. No exemption.

Pretty happy all things considered
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
hit or miss i think sometimes.

the house i just sold went up another 80k this year after 90k year. still sold it for 90k over that the latest increase tho, so what is there to complain about i suppose? maybe the rates are too high?

However my brother inlaws house was appraised at $263 per sq ft and no property has sold for more than $245 per in the last year in his neighborhood...
The Catfish
AG
Anyone have a settlement offer from the iFile process yet? Just curious how long it takes these wahoos to fix the problem they created..
Mr. McGibblets
AG
quote:
Anyone have a settlement offer from the iFile process yet? Just curious how long it takes these wahoos to fix the problem they created..

iSettle is the worst. It is all based on algorithms and not somebody looking at your account.

Just a heads up.
The Catfish
AG
Well frick. What should I have done?
h_town_ags
First time home buyer, would appreciate any thoughts on my situation.

contracted on a house (new build) in shady acres in July 2013 @439.9k

moved in/closed June 2014

hcad value increased to $556k

i know now there has been significant appreciation in the area but I don't think I could sell for this much. I refinanced my house in March and it was valued at ~$520k

should i bother hiring a company to protest? Should I go in and show my closing statement? Show the recent appraisal? Happy to use a 3rd party but don't want to if I already have what I need to lower and avoid paying 50%.

any advice would he appreciated.
Cru
S
Closing statement

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.