Houston
Sponsored by

HCAD Values

113,643 Views | 772 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by speck3
Mr. McGibblets
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Troof^
Daytona22
AG
No joke... wow... Up only another 10% due to Homestead thankfully. Up 50% from two years ago.
tylercsbn9
AG
Glad I sold my house and got out of there. It's been absurd how even the burbs have increased. We moved to a smaller home and don't miss the square footage we gave up at all.
chuckd
AG
quote:
My land value is up to $300K - literally double what it was when I bought it 8 years ago.
My land value is double what it was 2 years ago.
Bondag
AG
Up $85k All improvements. I haven't improved ****
Diggity
AG
If they're going to raise your values, it's better that they raise the improvements. You can actually fight those down.
Guitarsoup
AG
My improvements went up almost 50%. All I did to improve our house last year was kill a rat in the garage, kill termites in the deck and replace a toilet.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
My improvements went up almost 50%. All I did to improve our house last year was kill a rat in the garage, kill termites in the deck and replace a toilet.
You get a permit for that?

(j/k ... I know you don't need one where you live)
exp
AG
13 to 14 increased 1%

Got my homestead exemption

14 to 15 increased 12% hitting cap

Is this blatant fraud by artificially raising rates on homes with homestead to cover lost tax revenue?
Mr. McGibblets
AG
No it's called mass appraisal with record sales prices the past 2 years.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:
You get a permit for that?

(j/k ... I know you don't need one where you live)
Do you still need a permit if you did a ****ty job?
Diggity
AG
You are fortunate to have had such a small increase last year.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
quote:
You are fortunate to have had such a small increase last year.

When we see that it usually means it was way over assessed the prior year...
Ragoo
AG
out in the burbs my market value increased $35K, but that seems reasonable based on what homes in the area are listed $/sqft.

What I don't understand is that the appraisal increase is more than the land market value increase. So the city thinks the improvements also went up in value? How does that make sense if I have not put any money into upgrading the improvements? The brick, roof, wooden structure all have a year more wear and tear on them, yet somehow are more valuable today than this time last year?

edit: Now I see others have similar comments.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
"improvements" is referring to the bricks and sticks that were "improved" on the land it sits on. Just bc you made no improvements to the structure doesn't mean the value of those bricks and sticks have not gone up due to recent sales in your area. A lot of people get that terminology mixed up but the tax code definition is what I just described above.
Clavell
AG
House portion up 6.3% (5.4% overall).

Although can't gripe too much since still about 10% below what I paid in 2005.
Ryan the Temp
AG
This is my property for the last several years:

Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
"improvements" is referring to the bricks and sticks that were "improved" on the land it sits on. Just bc you made no improvements to the structure doesn't mean the value of those bricks and sticks have not gone up due to recent sales in your area. A lot of people get that terminology mixed up but the tax code definition is what I just described above.
So what would make my bricks and sticks go up in value nearly 50% in one year?

There is a house down the street from me with the same floor plan valued for 60k less than mine.
Aggiethruthicknthin
AG
Market went up 21% on mine. Capped at 10% thankfully.
LostInLA07
AG
Still pending
94chem
My understanding is that when you move, the tax base of the new residence resets to the market value, rather than the assessment (capped) value. So if you are buying, you need to check the market value, not the current taxes. Some of the upswing in valuations must mean that there's a pretty big gap growing between capped and market valuations, perhaps enough to keep people from moving.
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
quote:
The housing market increasing?

Lets say you bought your house for $200k in 2005. And let's say you've done nothing outside of general maintenance over those 10 years, but could sell that same house today for $350k. How could your house possibly go up in value? Is the increase in value 100% attributable to the increase in the dirt? What if there's been zero similar vacant land sales in your neighborhood since 2008 to prove what the dirt is actually worth?

Don't get too bogged down with the split out between residential land/imp values, it's largely a manipulated function to arrive at a total that's supposed to accurately reflect actual market value. If your total assessed market value is above what you believe it actually is, file a protest.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:

Lets say you bought your house for $200k in 2005. And let's say you've done nothing outside of general maintenance over those 10 years, but could sell that same house today for $350k. How could your house possibly go up in value? Is the increase in value 100% attributable to the increase in the dirt? What if there's been zero similar vacant land sales in your neighborhood since 2008 to prove what the dirt is actually worth?

Don't get too bogged down with the split out between residential land/imp values, it's largely a manipulated function to arrive at a total that's supposed to accurately reflect actual market value. If your total assessed market value is above what you believe it actually is, file a protest.
I've looked up several houses with identical floor plans in my immediate area and they are all appraising for less than mine. Really strange is these houses are identical, but mine is showing 110sf more than theirs, despite being identical.

Don't think that 110sf is worth 33% increase in value. And I've found several houses with the same floor plan, but all are appraised at a lower SF than my house.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Well then you just found your argument for 2015.
aggiemike02
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I've looked up several houses with identical floor plans in my immediate area and they are all appraising for less than mine. Really strange is these houses are identical, but mine is showing 110sf more than theirs, despite being identical.

According to HCAD they are not identical. You need to get a copy of the floor plan drawings they have on file for your home. Often, they are completely incorrect. Ours were our neighbors home, flipped over, which was nowhere even remotely close to our actual floor plan. Supplied them with the correct floor plan and got all figures adjusted accordingly.
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
quote:
Well then you just found your argument for 2015.
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Don't think that 110sf is worth 33% increase in value. And I've found several houses with the same floor plan, but all are appraised at a lower SF than my house.
I'm not suggesting you aren't, but be sure you're comparing their market values to your market value. Appraised values can vary wildly, even on 'the same floor plans' for a variety of reasons and aren't applicable to an equity argument.
Guitarsoup
AG
You have to have sealed architectural plans to challenge the SF. My house was built in the city of Kingwood. I can't find them now that the COH stole Kingwood.

RyanTheTemp found that HCAD has that our house was remodeled in 09 (year we bought) but no permits were pulled so I am going to challenge that.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
You have to have sealed architectural plans to challenge the SF. My house was built in the city of Kingwood. I can't find them now that the COH stole Kingwood.

RyanTheTemp found that HCAD has that our house was remodeled in 09 (year we bought) but no permits were pulled so I am going to challenge that.
To clarify - I have never heard of HCAD changing the improved SF without sealed architectural drawings or the land SF without a sealed survey. I don't know if there is something else you could provide.

The second point is something I recommend everyone take a look at. My house was also tagged as having been remodeled, but there were no permits to support that. I was able to show HCAD there was no remodel and they removed it, which resulted in an automatic reduction based on the condition rating change.

If you show a remodel on your HCAD records, I suggest you pull the permitting history of your property to determine if it actually occurred.
aggiemike02
AG
Mr. McGibblets - any advice on arguing for a lowered grade adjustment?
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Playing golf. Will respond later.
aggiemike02
AG
thanks.
agnatgas
AG
Yikes - land up 112% over a two year period and 51% for 2015

Improvement up 46% over two years
Post removed:
by user
Diggity
AG
I don't understand what you're saying. Every property has building data codes that specify the condition of the property and level of remodeling. Now these aren't always correct but they do base your values on them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.