Houston
Sponsored by

HCAD Values

113,647 Views | 772 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by speck3
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Frok, feel free to email us if you have any questions, or just need to talk about it all.

Thanks! I plan on doing all my prep-work this weekend so I may give yall a call early next week.
rononeill
T minus 40 minutes. Let's light this candle!
rononeill
40k off!!! They bought the "rising tide" pitch. My opening gambit accounted for overall value, then had a side mention on improvements. Hcad nerd killed the overall with a legit land value position. Fell back to my improvement analysis and their offer was pretty in line with my proposal.
Frok
AG
Was that at your informal or formal?
Wrec86 Ag
She found one really good comp, and one really crappy house that bordered our backyard (diagonally). She didn't lowball, she offered a 10% increase instead of 26% and he countered with 13% after discussing for 10 minutes.

Jubally's suggested value was a 16% increase.

[This message has been edited by Wrec86 ag (edited 8/12/2014 11:02a).]
rcannaday
AG
Is Jubally only good for HCAD? what about Brazos? Dallas counties?
Frok
AG
Had my informal yesterday. She wouldn't look at Jubally's comps. Only wanted to look at theirs. Kept spouting about how the time adjustment is necessary due to the market increase this year. (To get them more money) I could tell it wasn't going anywhere so I said I'll take it to the board. She then tried to tell me I likely won't get a better result. That irritated me. I asked her why would I not go the formal? You offered me nothing, you didn't even consider my comps.

Anyhow, it's on like donkey kong.
Cru
S
Remember people, their job is to make sure you are taxed fairly and to do so they defend their value at all costs. 90+% win percentage at HCAD this year. Roughly 80% of those wins are at the formal. I hate those who have taxing authority over us lying like they do.
YellAg2004
AG
I have my informal hearing tomorrow so I'm wrapping up my argument and just wanted to make sure I was understanding the "Uniform & Equal" argument since that would provide a bigger cut to my market value than just arguing HCAD's comps.

I live in a townhome community of 455 units in 45 buildings. I went through HCAD and found the 7 units with the lowest $/SF market value while maintaining the same number of bedrooms/bathrooms (3/2.5) as my unit. They range from $8-20/SF less than mine.

I was planning on arguing that based on those 7, my unit's market value is too high. All the units were built in either '68 or '69 and they are all graded as C+. The CDU is Good or Average on all but one unit and the Physical Condition is Average on all but one. The outlier is the same on both with a Fair/Fair rating. Is my understanding correct that that means that HCAD would consider these units equal? Is there anything else I should have prepared before presenting this argument?

Finally, when they ask for what I believe the value to be, should I go with the average of the 7 $/SF or start off with the lowest and work up from there?
cwpaggie07
AG
Just got back from the ARB

HCAD appraisal was 14.03% increase, got the ARB down to a 6.81% increase.

I'll take it. Thanks Cru and Jubally!
chuckd
AG
Just got my value. 77% increase.
Cromagnum
AG
quote:
Just got my value. 77% increase.

texagpilot
AG
Can HCAD find out your sales price for a home? We are about to buy in memorial area and curious. My realtor says no, but I'm not so sure. The tax value is less than sales price, so I'm curious if it will go up.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Yes. I never reported mine but sure enough, they had it at my formal hearing.
texagpilot
AG
How do they get it?
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Not sure. HAR I suppose. How does Zillow get it? They had it without me reporting the sale.
Diggity
AG
quote:
Can HCAD find out your sales price for a home? We are about to buy in memorial area and curious. My realtor says no, but I'm not so sure. The tax value is less than sales price, so I'm curious if it will go up.

HCAD has MLS access, so yes.
sawemoffshort07
AG
Almost that time

Ryan the Temp
AG
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Prepare yalls anus. It will be another record year!!!
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
Waiting to redo some plumbing and electrical that will require permits until after this round.
Waltonloads08
AG
Went through all levels of protest last year, and they told me to stick it at each one. They were 100% focused on market value and ignored any uniform and equal arguments as if it is not Texas law. They know it's not financially worth it for me to sue, so they get away with it.
MrJonMan
AG
Ours was privately appraised a couple weeks ago and was $57k higher than what we paid in summer of 13. Not wanting to see what HCAD does to us this year.......luckily Mr. McGibblets will protest it for me.
drumboy
AG
quote:
Went through all levels of protest last year, and they told me to stick it at each one. They were 100% focused on market value and ignored any uniform and equal arguments as if it is not Texas law. They know it's not financially worth it for me to sue, so they get away with it.

I used Jubally, argued U&E and got the market lowered $25k at the informal. Didn't affect tax value but still something.
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
A lot (piece of land) sold below what everyone's land value did last year so I am going to fight and say my land is worth what that land is -$50,000 to demo my house
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
A lot (piece of land) sold below what everyone's land value did last year so I am going to fight and say my land is worth what that land is -$50,000 to demo my house
Demo isn't anywhere near $50,000. Maybe moving the house, but not demo.
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
How much is demo and hauloff for a 1400sqft house following code, abatong asbestos etc...
Ryan the Temp
AG
Between $10K-15K
Dan Scott
AG
If HCAD was smart, they'd leave everything flat.
JJxvi
AG
HCAD can get sued (and did last year) by the taxing authorities (county, school districts, MUDS, etc) if they "leave everything flat" and those entities think otherwise.
Bondag
AG
If last year was flat I am screwed this year.
Dan Scott
AG
Those entities need to STFU. A lot of us got a 10% tax increase last year. They had to have bad record tax collections.
Cromagnum
AG
2nd year of homestead exemption so im counting on a 10% hike every year. Granted they are building two copies of my house within a mile of me so depending how those close, i may have arguments.
Cru
S
Just FYI, I think Jubally will be in Ft Bend, Montgomery, Galveston, Bexar, Travis, and possibly Brazos this year.
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.