Brazos CAD values are UP! Literally!

12,222 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by K2T2
chigger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Same here. Emerald forest, up about 11%. We had a rental property increase by 25%.
SARATOGA
Literally taxing people out of their homes.

It is wrong.

Property taxes should be frozen until sold.

Go to Koppe Bridge, order a Burger basket.

That will be 10 bucks.

Go to window to pick up Burger Basket when name is called....

That will be 12.95 please.

Wait a minute, I agreed and set my budget based on 9.95

TAMU doesn't give raises unless you got a friend in the upper echelon and Brazos County is trying to tax people out of their homes.

It is wrong.
SARATOGA
And I don't mind paying for new schools......but I expect my kids to be able to go to said new schools that are built closer to me than the previous school.

SoTheySay
S
6% in Castle Rock. Has gone up $25k in two years.
BCSMom
So is it pretty useless to dispute the increase if all the houses on the street increased as well?

We bought in 2008 and appraised value has always been around the price we paid or less. I definitely didn't put in $40k worth of work in the past year.
EVA3
AG
I bought my house last year and the taxes went up over 4%. Now the new assessed value jumped 10%, and is now about $10,000 more than what we paid for it.
EVA3
AG
quote:
And I don't mind paying for new schools......but I expect my kids to be able to go to said new schools that are built closer to me than the previous school.

saltydog13
AG
quote:
I bought my house last year and the taxes went up over 4%. Now the new assessed value jumped 10%, and is now about $10,000 more than what we paid for it.

Can't you then tell them what you paid so the assessed value doesn't go above how much you paid?
nwspmp
Up 11.03%, with a HS cap to 10%. First time I've ever seen an HS cap on mine. Enchanted Meadows subdivision.

Edit: Has gone up 24.79% in the seven years I've owned it.
EVA3
AG
quote:
quote:

Can't you then tell them what you paid so the assessed value doesn't go above how much you paid?
I'm sure going to tell them. Hope it helps.
AgFan247
AG
Up 9% this year, I'm in Edelweiss Gartens
Frio Cielo
Can someone explain why some properties in prime locations seem to never go up and homes like mine go up 8 to 10% a year?

Here is an example. A commercial property right across Texas Avenue from campus.

2016 appraised value $2,169,790
2015 $1,880,460
2014 $1,880,460
2013 $1,880,460
2012 $1,880,460
2011 $1,880,460
2010 $1,850,000

Many examples such as this around town if you spend a little time on Brazoscad.org.

Why would homes go up so much annually and commercial property in prime locations basically not go up for many years?

australopithecus robustus
Because the greater the value the less propensity there is for increase. Apples to oranges
australopithecus robustus
Take a look at Northgate values. They just took a rediculously inappropriate jump.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
3.4 increase. The big jump was 2013 to 2014. That one sucked and I was out of the country and didn't protest.
dubi
AG
My house that is a mile south of campus went down $6k.

My rental next door went up $1k.

Odd!
Fleen
Up 8% total in North Oakwood area of Bryan... All "Improvements" (13%)

I mean I did just remodel a bathroom... And added some chicken coops... That must be it...
BCSMom
How does one dispute it when all the houses on the street went up to around the same. I had a $40k increase. However no improvements have been done to my home.
milner79
quote:
Same here. Emerald forest, up about 11%. We had a rental property increase by 25%.
30% increase on the 70s vintage rental house we own in Bryan just north of Northgate (College Heights?). They've got it valued at 27k more than we paid for it two years ago, $35k more than last year's valuation.

Any tips or strategies on developing a protest would be appreciated. Definitely going to protest, just not sure best case to make.
75AG
AG
I guess they were given a tax break that expired this year?
jmazz
AG
Homestead capped at 10% in Estates of Creek Meadows. Rental property on Aspen (what I call Northgate area of Bryan...biking distance to campus) up 26% while one a few blocks away on Inlow went down (not sure I understand that even though they aren't apples to apples but they rent for the same amount...for what it's worth). Sure would be nice if rent increased 26%.
RDH80
AG
Up 15% in Williams court of. Rock prairie/Victoria
Husky Mom
House in S. College Station went up 8%
Rental duplex in Bryan went up 25%
Rent house in Bryan went up 10.5%

For comparison:
House (B&B) in Grimes Co went up 43.5%
House in Limestone Co went up .9%
nashvilleaggie11
10% increase in The Oaks (Johnson Elementary area in Bryan)
MsC2012
AG
15k increase in Shenandoah in assessed value. I would disputed it but the problem is there's no comps to support it because everything is selling for above.
AFM
~9.3% increase at Edelweiss subdivision.

My house is older with original features and I doubt I can even sell it at the appraised price without some remodeling done. Just because1 or 2 re-modeled houses in my neighborhood were recently sold a great price doesn't mean the other 100 homeowners have to pay higher property tax due to the inflated values. Realtors must be happy as well.
BCSMom
That's my problem too!
CN
4.5% in south CS.
duffelpud
AG
I protested last year on a house we own in College Station for the first time ever when they raised its assessment from $173k to $182k. I filed the appropriate paperwork and was scheduled for a hearing, but they offer the opportunity to come in for an "informal" hearing. I did so and prepared comps for other homes on our street and ones like ours in our neighborhood. In the process of looking over my data the AD dude discovered that they had our home listed ten years newer than it actually was - their error. I purchased the doggone house based on their faulty info! Dude scratched his head, called in his supervisor, looked it over and said he could knock $8k off. I said ok and walked out, so it went up ~1% instead of ~6%.

This year they appraised the property at $184.4k up ~6%.
justalocal
Creek meadows. Our value went up 18% but the other 12 homes on our block only went up by about 10%. We will send in appeal in.
understandingmom
Brazos CAD appraiser came out Jan 2016 and "appraised" my home. New construction home. We visited, and I loaned him the builders blue prints and he delivered them back the next day with a "property field review card 2016". The value on that paper is 20% less that the "2016 notice of appraised value" that showed up in my mailbox. Confused.
BCSMom
How to I figure out the percentage it went up?
aggiepaintrain
AG
New value/old value

With all this added revenue, should we see any potholes or chip sealed streets anywhere in B/CS?
talich
quote:
~9.3% increase at Edelweiss subdivision.

My house is older with original features and I doubt I can even sell it at the appraised price without some remodeling done. Just because1 or 2 re-modeled houses in my neighborhood were recently sold a great price doesn't mean the other 100 homeowners have to pay higher property tax due to the inflated values. Realtors must be happy as well.
I guess in this case you can show the comparison and argue for the difference.
Post removed:
by user
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.