Brazos CAD values are UP! Literally!

12,185 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by K2T2
aggiepaintrain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Emerald Forest up 11%

What are others seeing?

ksp
up 5% in Castle rock
halibut sinclair
Up 6% in east Bryan
JR Ewing
AG
13.34% Up - $40K in South College Station...but with 10% cap, it only went up $30K...ridiculous...gotta pay for those new schools somehow...
happyinBCS
Please give % not $ mine are up 14% in woodcreek which is still well below true market value
mhnatt
Anyone know why my "HS Cap" would decrease by 35% but the "Appraised" value increased slightly (4%). But since you pay taxes on the difference ("Assessed" = "Appraised" - "HS Cap"), the net effect is that my taxes increased about 31%.

How is this possible?
OnlyANobody
Up 7.43% Copperfield.
KaneIsAble
AG
Up 5.6% in Castle Rock year over year. Up 16% in the last 4 years - jeez.
dave99ag
AG
Up 12.6% in south CS. Where does this 10% cap come from?
JR Ewing
AG
10% Homestead Cap
BCSMom
I'm in Raintree and mine went up $40k. Is it worth it to dispute it? How does one do that?

dave99ag
AG
quote:
10% Homestead Cap

Ha, I just found it.

Not sure I'm going to have much luck appealing, but sure going to try.
JR Ewing
AG
With such dramatic increases across town, it might be best to contact our State Representatives. This should become an issue at the state level because they haven't even begun to raise the tax rates. They're just banking from saying values are higher. They probably are higher, since there's no inventory, but it's only because there's no inventory. Builders are building as fast as they can, and eventually, it will level off. Unfortunately, they'll have been able to successfully raise your values and collect tons of extra tax dollars to build all those nice new schools.
JR Ewing
AG
ksp
quote:
With such dramatic increases across town, it might be best to contact our State Representatives. This should become an issue at the state level because they haven't even begun to raise the tax rates. They're just banking from saying values are higher. They probably are higher, since there's no inventory, but it's only because there's no inventory. Builders are building as fast as they can, and eventually, it will level off. Unfortunately, they'll have been able to successfully raise your values and collect tons of extra tax dollars to build all those nice new schools.
I'm afraid these will not level off and this is the norm moving forward. To much demand here.

Riding our 4 more years and when my last kid moves out, so are we out of the city limits.

Caldwell area on some acreage.
curry97
AG
Up 16k in Castle Rock
Ornlu
AG
Up 23% in The Oaks. I've got a homestead exemption too, so the 23% is just applied to the appraised (assessed is capped at 10%), but I'll still be appealing.

My home has "appreciated" 75% since I bought it 4 years ago. I'm convinced that the CAD's using voodoo math.
95_Aggie
AG
Someone should contact Dan Patrick and ask him where his property tax reductions are?
kraut
AG
Supply and demand.
InMyOpinion
Up 9.5% - east side of town - just outside COCS limits

Maybe I can dispute mine as it is more than a recent appraisal (6 months ago)?

I noticed the disclaimer that these are preliminary but my gut tells me it probably won't drop. Maybe all entities will lower tax rates so the net effect won't hit the bank account too hard
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
Maybe all entities will lower tax rates so the net effect won't hit the bank account too hard

What fantasy world do you live in?
armymom
Our assessed value went up $21,000 in Wood Creek!
Drewmeister
AG
quote:
Anyone know why my "HS Cap" would decrease by 35% but the "Appraised" value increased slightly (4%). But since you pay taxes on the difference ("Assessed" = "Appraised" - "HS Cap"), the net effect is that my taxes increased about 31%.

How is this possible?
The way I read it is you pay taxes on the assessed value. The appraised value can be whatever they want, but the assessed value can only increase 10% per year. HS Cap is the amount (if any) that appraised went up, over the 10% assessed cap. If you don't appeal (or lose your protest), then the amount in the HS Cap (up to 10% of your current assessed) will go into your assessed value next year.

Example: $200k property; they pull a Harris County move and raise it 30%, so now it's appraised at $260k and assessed at $220k (+10%) with $40k in HS Cap. Next year, assume appraised stays the same; assessed will rise $22k (10% of current) to $242k and HS Cap will drop to $18k ($40k - $22k). Year after next, they do a 2% bump to $265.2k and assessed rises 10% ($24.2k) to $264.2k, with $2k left in HS Cap.

My HS Cap has been 0 every year until now, at least in the final values (I did protest successfully once but don't remember what year), since I've managed to avoid an increase over 10% in a single year. This year my appraised value went up just over 10% and thus my HS Cap is about $900.
Ornlu
AG
quote:
Up 9.5% - east side of town - just outside COCS limits

Maybe I can dispute mine as it is more than a recent appraisal (6 months ago)?

I noticed the disclaimer that these are preliminary but my gut tells me it probably won't drop. Maybe all entities will lower tax rates so the net effect won't hit the bank account too hard

If you have that recent of an appraisal by a certified appraiser, it will be useful in disputing it.

No, they're not going to drop the tax rate.
JavierC2005
Up 5.9% in South College Station, just outside the city limits.
happyinBCS
The new S&W hospital value last year 86 million this year 97 million Tax bill 2,239,000.00 without exemptions tax bill with exemptions ZERO.................................. that would help build a lot of schools but they pay nothing
dgonzo99
Central Bryan up overall 9%. Land stayed the same. The house went up 13.7% .
jskin261
Shenandoah 11.13%
PS3D
Even the old Albertsons on University jumped a significant amount despite declining in value for years. Everything's up but SOMETHING is up, I'd say
Kamikaze Kyle
The hospital should be paying their fair share of taxes. Especially considering how much they charge out of pocket after insurance discounts everything.
dgonzo99
One part of Tejas Center went up almost a 100%.
SARATOGA
While they are up every year (because that is what they do), this year looks in particular to me like they decided to go after improvements, whereas the last several years they mostly went after the land.

Up 5% in Improvement

(Nothing changed with house, other than it got a year older).
JR Ewing
AG
quote:
While they are up every year (because that is what they do), this year looks in particular to me like they decided to go after improvements, whereas the last several years they mostly went after the land.
Apparently, doing nothing on my house made them think that I added $30,710 in improvements to it. It's a year older, but worth so much more because I live there. This makes no sense...
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
It's a year older, but worth so much more because I live there.
You know in your heart that's the real reason.
duffelpud
AG
Taxation without representation?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.