Jess Fields & John Raney

21,295 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Oogway
R.boenigk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gentlemen the site looks incredibly similar to one set up against me and my family that attacked my daughter. I never hide behind anonymity like some cowards do. I know who set up that site and I am sure he is behind this one too. Internet anonymity is ruining our political system and attacking my daughter was beyond reprehensible. Be real men and use your real names! Also the site in question is telling lies against Nancy Berry. I fully support Nancy! Rebecca Boenigk
Chazz03
w8liftr
Don't forget that Mr. Raney was one of 8 legislators who voted AGAINST outlawing debit card surcharges. Every other Brazos Valley legislator voted to extend the same protections afforded credit cards to debit cards as well.

Yep, he's really in Austin representing us (as long as you're a major donor).
benny63
Fields is an anti-nanny-state Republican.

He is getting my vote.
AC Hopper
S
Jess Fields is a what's-in-it-for-me type of individual who represents only his personal agenda. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. I don't much care for John Raney either.

Neither of them will get my vote.
taxpreparer
AG

quote:
"Upon a motion made and seconded, the City Council vote five (5) for and one (1) opposed, with Councilmember Fields voting against, to ban the possession and use of illegal smoking products and ingestion devices."
Question; if the product or device is already illegal, why does the city need to ban its use? By definition illegal means it is already banned,and possession is an offence.

I don't know Jess Fields, and have not decided who I will vote for, but I did agree with his stance that the consumer should decide whether or not they want to purchase legal products. Also, I don't want the city deciding that otherwise legal products are not legal inside city limits.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
lastrebel2000
Yeah I think I'm just going to leave that part of my ballot blank.
Bryanisbest
AG
Who has encountered enough of the ups and downs of life, made a living, supported a family, paid taxes and continued to get through it year after year? There is no contest here. Raney!
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Carnwellag2
quote:
Don't forget that Mr. Raney was one of 8 legislators who voted AGAINST outlawing debit card surcharges. Every other Brazos Valley legislator voted to extend the same protections afforded credit cards to debit cards as well.

Yep, he's really in Austin representing us (as long as you're a major donor).
This is bad?????

Private companies should be allowed to charge what they want- this includes fees for paying- let the free market decide company is making a good or bad decision.

We don't need government telling private businesses what to charge.

Shepherd Boy
Late to this thread, but...

I find myself in the same position as the OP. Although I haven't seen those ads anywhere...simply the attacking flyers Fields has sent to my home on what seems to be a daily basis now. Those really started to turn me off.

So a question or two:
One of those ads says he is a registered lobbyist. True or false? It's my understanding that he was (bad enough) but is no longer.
What is his job? Does he do anything other than try to get elected? Is his cigar shop still open?

What troubles me is the carpetbagger feel to he whole thing. Move in...immediately begin going door to door with no career outside of politics. Or so it seems.

If he loses the election....does he stay in college station or move on down the road? With admittedly no information at all on the question he seems to be a real short terms rid he loses. That does not sit well.

Wish I could pick none of the above....in many races this year.
Ornlu
AG
Shepherd Boy, I had the same questions as you. I've now done my research so I'll tell you what I found out.
quote:
One of those ads says he is a registered lobbyist. True or false? It's my understanding that he was (bad enough) but is no longer.
He was a registered lobbyist in 2014, for Texas Public Policy Foundation. He worked in Austin writing legislation that was then presented in the House, including the TxDOT reauthorization and the school choice bill (among other bills). He was working behind the scenes writing several bills that eventually passed - and at least one that didn't. <Insert metaphor about sausage making here.>
quote:
What is his job? Does he do anything other than try to get elected?
He no longer works for TPPF and no longer lives in Austin. As near as I can tell, he's hoping to be a full-time politician
quote:
Is his cigar shop still open?
Jess sold Cavalier Cigars, I believe back in 2013. New owner's name is Colton, and he seems to be doing alright with it.

quote:
What troubles me is the carpetbagger feel to he whole thing. Move in...immediately begin going door to door with no career outside of politics. Or so it seems.

If he loses the election....does he stay in college station or move on down the road? With admittedly no information at all on the question he seems to be a real short terms rid he loses. That does not sit well.
This bugged me too, so I messaged him on Twitter and tweeted his cell phone number back at me. I called him, and he said he's always going to be a BCS resident, but he needed to take a hiatus to go learn how the legislative process works corner-to-corner before he could be an effective representative. I think he's back permanently.

If you'd like to get to know Jess's character through more than just an advertisement, look here: http://texags.com/forums/35/topics/2319844

Shepherd Boy
Good stuff, Ornlu! Thanks for the link also....definitely do not remember seeing it a few years ago.

Certainly filled in some answers for me. Still a little unsettled about his job status. It seems his full time job has been running for office. I do not want to hold his age against him. However, looking at his "experience" it seems all political....not much "real world". Not a deal breaker, but I am inherently hesitant in the trust area with individuals who choose politics as a full time vocation...he has to get money from somewhere!

Still looking for the none of the above option! I believe there is a forum in the next week or so...interested to see how that goes.
Scotch
AG
I will vote for RANEY.
Cancelled
AG
quote:
Who has encountered enough of the ups and downs of life, made a living, supported a family, paid taxes and continued to get through it year after year? There is no contest here. Raney!

What does this have to do with anything? I'm sure Clinton has experienced all these, but I wouldnt vote for her.
John Cocktolstoy
I don't see Raney tearing Jess down with half truths like I see Jess doing to Raney. Raney gets my vote.
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
FlyRod
The new Raney flyer I received today, showing Jess lighting up a cigar with Kinky Friedman, and with a weird crazed predatory look on his face was awesome!
Picadillo
Jess Fields
Pinata Man
Saw one today from Jess Fields with Raney dressed up as a magician.
Mr. Griswold
quote:
The new Raney flyer I received today, showing Jess lighting up a cigar with Kinky Friedman, and with a weird crazed predatory look on his face was awesome!
Pics?
FlyRod
It's in the new Raney flyer. You'll probably be getting it soon.
Broncos
Fields seems like a little weasel. His campaign is based on bashing Raney rather than promoting his own agenda.
dave99ag
AG
I'll be voting for Raney, but I applaud Fields' creative staff on the magician flyer. I laughed as I tossed it in the recycling bin.
CS78
Texans For Fiscal Responsibility scores Raney low on their index and endorses Fields. Just voted for Fields.
FlyRod
quote:
His campaign is based on bashing Raney rather than promoting his own agenda.

If you are interested in his agenda, go to the website of the Texas Public Policy Foundation. Its pretty much all spelled out there.

These were the folks who brought us the "7 Breakthrough Solutions" for higher education, that were roundly and justifiably rejected in the state. I assume Jess Fields is in favor of these, and in applying them to TAMU.
happyinBCS
I just voted at CS utility dept on Longmire and as I was walking in the door this guy yells out " I cant come any closer to you because it is against the law but my name is Jess Fields and I need your vote and support" well I did not say a word and of course did not vote for him, but the way he spoke was not becoming of a person that would be sincere
Bunk Moreland
wow, a lot of folks have already said it best on here in different posts.

I probably align with him the most politically, and more than Raney, but I am not comfortable voting for Fields.

He has come off as way too creepy on this election cycle. He and his buddies were always major *****s inside the cigar store, and when you're a local guy, your presence and attitude at your place of business is important, imo.

He's an opportunist to the extreme. I agree with the person that said he espouses extremely conservative/libertarian leaning ideals when it doesn't affect him, but is a hypocrite when it does.

He's not all bad, but i'm just not buying what he's selling. way too greasy.

All that being said, I find it hilarious that saying someone is a "ron paul supporter" is being used as an attack. It's pathetic that people would look at that and actually have a reaction to it. Those are the folks I laugh at. the most.
Shepherd Boy
Thanks to happy and Bunk. I had hoped to vote today but could not make up my mind in this race. Like Bunk I believe I align closer to Fields in beliefs but I do not get the feeling that I can trust him. When a 27 year old ( I have really hoped the age would not bother me too much) spends months campaigning, seemingly without a job, and the most commonly used word people use to describe him is "creepy"....well, he might need some more seasoning. What a dreadful election year.
AgGunNut
AG
I voted yesterday off Graham road. Fields was campaigning for himself asking for my vote. He was within the distance markers. I have video of him standing on the wrong side of it from a dash cam I keep in my car. His sign is also on the wrong side of it. He walked even closer to the building to speak with me. I used google maps later to see that he was less than 80ft from a marked entrance to vote.

I contacted the District Clerks Office today with the information. They acknowledged that they had received complaints about him, but seemed uninterested in what I had to say or that I had evidence that he broke the law. They didn't even want my name until I asked them if they needed it.

Keep this in mind when voting...
CS78
Raney came to my door to ask for my vote. I liked what he stood for but then he hauled off and kicked my dog. Then I remembered he was the dad of the kids on "that 70s show" that always smoked weed in their basement. I just can't vote for a guy like that.
Bayou City
You've always voted for him. I voted for him for COCS, and experienced the second coming of Jana McMillian. That's when I realized he was going to be a career politician. He used family money to start his business, family money for his COCS campaign, and family money for his current run. He is like a local version of Donald Trump from the insults on down.

Your parents shouldn't be your income stream at 27.

Next, I take issue with his behavior. He can slam Raney all he wants, but tearing Raney down isn't building him up.

He should focus on removing the entitled, arrogant, self pandering/victim advocacy shtick and just be honest.

IF he told the truth, he probably would have gotten my vote because politically we share the same values. However, personal values trump politics (no pun intended), and I can't vote for the Jess Fields I've experienced to represent our district.
Bayou City
Can you send it to me? The Texas State Republican Committee would appreciate it. If he does the same during the general election, our district goes blue. The 2-3 people I've grouchy it up to that run state and federal campaigns don't want that liability in the party.

They all said the District won't do anything but tell the Exec committee unless someone sues.
AgGunNut
AG
The evidence stays with me until I'm contacted by someone of authority who wishes to use it for something.

Email: aggunnut @ gmail dot com
Bayou City
I'll have them Email you.
Sinuso
AG
As another poster said above, it seems like all Jess F. has done since college has been to run for office(everything ffrom dog-catcher to council). I prefer someone who has had to make a payroll, deal with "life issues" and still come out as successful, respectable.
A political seat should be a temporary part of one's service to State and Country, not the goal of life. Methinks Mr. Fields is more interested in *being called* a State Rep, than actually representing the people........I'm sure he has his next couple of campaigns already worked out.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.