Jess Fields & John Raney

21,281 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Oogway
Stucco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Raney was just as open to being lobbied by the TPPF as Jess was to lobby for it.

http://www.house.state.tx.us/news/press-releases/?id=3954
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=84R&Bill=HR2154

Then he makes an attack ad off of it? Nah. I won't vote for a hypocrite.
vwbug
Sinuso - I could not agree more.
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
quote:
The difference being is that K2 has one use. Inhalation. Whoever sells this stuff knows its purpose and the dangers.

Kinda like tobacco and alcohol?
Not at all like tobacco and alcohol. Not even close. The problem with "synthetic marijuana" is that you never know what's in it.
We'll go through phases where our EMS will be called out to pick up 3-5 cases a day. And the potential for violence from the folks on this stuff is so high that we send a police officer out with the EMS on all synthetic marijuana runs. So even if you don't use the stuff - it's still costing you $$.

What are we seeing? Severe episodes of psychotic behavior. Paranoia, extreme anxiety and hallucinations resulting in aggressive, even homicidal behavior. They cause rapid heart rate, increased blood pressure, vomiting and confusion and have been associated with heart attacks.

The issues with making them illegal is that all the manufacturers have to do is minutely change the ingredients. The scary thing about them is that use is so widespread.

hopeandrealchange
I have know John for 25 plus years. And I support him. But I also have been impressed with what Jess did on the City Council. Someone earlier mentioned Jess was a bad Council man I disagree. Our liberal council needed a change when Jess came in. I do not like the way he is bad mouthing John. John has a great reputation in our community and I think Jess is doing himself a disservice with his adds attacking John.
Rapier108
I see Raney is now sending out K2 attack ads. Got three in the mail today along with two ads for Raney.
cs1
The most recent Raney mailer I received does not have the required statement on it saying who is paying/sponsoring the ad. That, I believe, is a campaign ethics violation. Everyone should have proof of this on their mail unless you've already tossed it.
Goose83
AG
quote:
The most recent Raney mailer I received does not have the required statement on it saying who is paying/sponsoring the ad. That, I believe, is a campaign ethics violation. Everyone should have proof of this on their mail unless you've already tossed it.
The one I got had "Paid for by John Raney Campaign" featured prominently on the address side. Please post the one in question that you received that didn't have said disclaimer.
Pinata Man
Pulled this weeks out of the recyle bin. Anyone who can read can tell who those mailers are from. Every one of Raney's has a disclaimer or panels of Raney positive text. Same for Fields.

If someone left off a disclaimer - I'm sure in due time it will be known as the worst thing to ever happen in our community and we need to vote for the opponent because he is endorsed by Texans for Disclaimers.
Stucco
While that reply is humorous and probably accurate in this case...the disclaimer is there for a reason. More than just candidates can send mail.
Pinata Man
Yeah, I believe that is rule 5b-4a-23-9er.
Stucco
There was a candidate forum on Feb 17th. These two had some good dialog.

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Candidates-debate-in-Chamber-forum-369203761.html
Staff
FOR CLARIFICATION:

It should be known that Cavalier Cigar Company has not had any ownership link with Mr. Fields for two years.

Rapier108
Raney's new ad claims that Fields voted to make K2 "Legal" which is a major stretch. Voting not to ban an at the time legal substance is different than voting to change it from illegal to legal.

It also say she supported "9/11 Truther" Debra Medina. So did a lot of people, and when she went all truther, her support fell to nothing.

And five more freaking Raney mail ads today. Just stop already. I don't need to get the same thing day in and day out, with the exact same mailer coming 2-3 times at once.
cslifer
It was a great dialogue! We got to hear fields lie about impersonating a public official!
Stupe
S
The way these two are slinging mud would make me vote for a three legged blind dog if it could run. They sound like a couple of three year old kids.
thats what I do
AG
Anyone taken a look at Raney's list of contributors? A lot of Austin lobby money. Take that how you wish but to say Jess Fields is a former lobbyist in Austin while ignoring how many Austin lobbyists are supporting Raney seems to be a bit hypocritical.

Bottom line: Do you like how the House is performing under moderate leadership? It can help the district because Raney is in the coalition of moderate Republicans and Democrats. Or are you willing to vote for a more conservative challenger who is truly conservative but won't be in the "club" and would likely end up outside of decisions and potentially hurt the district by not being able to get bills passed because he knocked off one of their "boys". These are legitimate calculations for voters.
aggie59
AG
I've even had yellow dog democrats tell me how bad Fields is, people that have voted for Obama twice and would vote for him again if he could run.Wonder who is whispering in their ear? It seemed that Fields was the only one who stood up to the Other City Council members in College Station.They resented him because he wasn't part of their club,The Tax and Spend Club, they should not be known as Republicans but liberal democrats.Like someone said check the contributors and see where the money comes from,but the last financial report won't be public till after the election.
Bayou City
He was disdained because he didn't show respect for the position. He went with the pack when needed, broke with the pack on votes related to his business, and was eventually detested by most COCS VOTERS because of the way he thumbed his nose at us (I voted for him) by making council meetings all about "will Jess Fields be an ******* today or not?". You could watch the meetings on TV. His demeanor towards those presenting was not only demeaning, but sometimes he was just downright angry at the world.

He is as laid back as possible, but once he gets a whiff that you aren't on his side, he will turn on you like a rabid dog.

Also, if he is so conservative, why did he PRAISE the COCS on multiple bills they passed when he was in the majority, yet now wants to cherry pick the cases that he stood out on and call them conservatives in sheeps clothing? He is like a mini Donald Trump. Say what sounds good at the time, and then change it later and see if anyone catches it.
Bayou City
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Texas Ave Cigar shop also sell glass paraphernalia for "pipe tobacco"?
cslifer
Actually the city council members shouldn't be known as republican or democrats, it is a non partisan race. Secondly you mention check the contributions, well, most of fields money has come from mom and dad if that means anything. And for the record, the post just below yours gives a perfect description of young mr fields time in office
aggie59
AG
cslifer, you'r right the cs city council should be known as the" TAX & SPEND GANG"
biobioprof
Am I the only one thinking "a pox on both your houses"?
Rapier108
quote:
With as dirty as this race has become, I wish there was someone else. It has become a total **** show.
cs1
JSF61 and Pinataman,

You aren't looking at all the mailers then. The one that called Jess a fake republican and said "Just say No to Jess" has no disclaimer at all

I don't know how to post pics and don't need to prove anything to either of you. The ethics commission is who will need an answer.
Pinata Man
Yeah, I believe that is rule 5b-4a-23-9er.
Goose83
AG
quote:
JSF61 and Pinataman,

You aren't looking at all the mailers then. The one that called Jess a fake republican and said "Just say No to Jess" has no disclaimer at all

I don't know how to post pics and don't need to prove anything to either of you. The ethics commission is who will need an answer.
This was discussed at the candidate's forum last week, and Raney was forthright in saying that a mailer had indeed been produced that did not have the proper disclaimer, and that it would be looked into by the appropriate authorities. I went back and doublechecked through the mailers I received, but still did not find a copy of it. So, therefore, even though some of us did not receive a copy ot it, others such as you did, meaning that a number of copies did indeed make it out into circulation.

Therefore, my apologies as I do hereby stand corrected, and as you stated in your above post, you have no need to prove anything to anyone here in regard to the matters any further.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Did Jess go to the Joe Barton school of politics? Lol. Just joking. I hate how nasty this whole thing is. We should be better than this. (Oh and who did Barton barge in on and cause a ruckus?). Dang I'm old.
TAMU1990
AG
The only FACTS are the voting records of politicians. If you like the way Raney votes then cast your vote for him.
Oogway
quote:
quote:
With as dirty as this race has become, I wish there was someone else. It has become a total s*** show.
Ditto. This entire race has not only jumped the shark, but the orca whale too.

Issues, voting records, and insult-flinging aside, I would like to know why candidate Fields uses the title, "Honorable." I thought this is an honorific/title reserved for active office holders?

TPPF is good training for revolving door politicians/lobbyists. Business as usual.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.