Rezoning at Decatur & Arrington - Apartments near Shenandoah!

22,852 Views | 128 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by InMyOpinion
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cslifer
I like how everyone is upset about the speeding around the southern plantation area, then when you talk to the guys in motors they write a lot of tickets in that area to people that live there!
Rexter
It will make the problem worse with the increase in traffic count when SP becomes a through street. It will be a direct connection to Hwy 6 from Victoria and CSHS. I am going to venture a guess that the CSHS students that use the street will not be interested in traveling at 30mph, as the majority of the people that speed down the street currently are of the younger generation.
OneGood2011Ag
AG
People generally only drive at speeds which they feel safe. With oversized, wide roads built at highway grades, of course people are going to speed. Narrowing the travel lanes through bike lanes or on street parking can help. You can't blame the drivers, you gave them a raceway and then tell them to drive 35. The street dimensions should reflect the speed limit. Notice you rarely see speeding in the more narrow streets of Southgate.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
People generally only drive at speeds which they feel safe. With oversized, wide roads built at highway grades, of course people are going to speed. Narrowing the travel lanes through bike lanes or on street parking can help. You can't blame the drivers, you gave them a raceway and then tell them to drive 35. The street dimensions should reflect the speed limit. Notice you rarely see speeding in the more narrow streets of Southgate.
This. I saw one of College Station's finest on a side road today. He was pulling over cars going 35 or so in a 30 mph zone. It was a wide street, and those going down it were going faster by human nature.
Oogway
Speed limits are posted, techno; I am shocked, shocked, that you would use the 'human nature' defense. You have struck me as a personal responsibility guy. What are we supposed to tell the officer when we go down a hill? (Granted, very few of those here) "Sorry officer, the physics made me do it?"
MisterShipWreck
Well, it wasn't a city council meeting - but a P&Z meeting instead.

And, the people on that committee had their mind made up already before the meeting started - It was obvious. And, I'm not just saying that because I didn't get my way and they approved the apartments. It was VERY obvious.

About 14 or 15 people showed up to offer legitimate complaints and many, many reasons why this is a bad idea.

Anyway - it goes in front of the city council on 2-25.That's the final chance to stop this.

I'm not going to argue with anyone on this thread about why I oppose it. I do, and will never change that opinion. However. I would urge anyone opposed to go to the city council meeting on 2-25-16. This thread is just to make people aware that this is going on.

techno-ag
AG
Yeah wide open spaces make people speed up. Human nature. Cops love spots with artificially low speeds. Don't know what to tell ya, this is a fact of life, something drivers need to be aware of.
SoTheySay
S
I haven't looked too hard but are there any specifications for the zoning if it's changed? Like building height or anything?
MisterShipWreck
No, that has not been stated. Just 17 acres of apts.
10thYrSr
The area they plan to develop is very close to an environmentally sensitive area. This will be the way we shut this down. There are signs posted nearby.
BQ_90
AG
quote:
The area they plan to develop is very close to an environmentally sensitive area. This will be the way we shut this down. There are signs posted nearby.
Sensitive area?
MisterShipWreck
Not an issue. Only a tiny corner of that is the protected area, despite a huge part being a marsh
They have pushed that protected area back and back. Decatur used to deadend, and all of that was "protected."

But they keep shrinking it down.
10thYrSr
I work in the environmental field and this could cause a huge problem for developers. Don't underestimate the power of the environmental aspect.
Chazz03
AG
What would cause it to be "protected "?
MisterShipWreck
Originally, some sort of wild orchid or something
curry97
AG
Navasota Ladies' Tresses

Chazz03
AG
I guess under who's protection might be a better question
Chazz03
AG
quote:
Navasota Ladies' Tresses

Private investors have no responsibility to protect a flower
10thYrSr
Good question! Most likely it is in the Texas wetlands database, however that would not be enough to discourage development. Nor post signs. However, being in the wetlands database is enough to cause problems. I can't imagine that any developer would want to develop in this area if they knew the repercussions!
Chazz03
AG
Also "wetlands" are hard to find in bcs
OceanStateAg
AG
Navasota ladie' Tresses were found in the area during the construction of Arriington Rd. There is a fenced off area designating a protected area where they have been found. If any were to be found on private property, they'd have to either be saved or transplanted. They are an endangered species if memory serves correctly.

Sounds like P&Z decided to not make a decision and kicked it to Council... lots of developers have some close friends on this Council. Sadly, probably going to get the zoning change and P&Z can claim it wasn't their decision.
curry97
AG
quote:
Sounds like P&Z decided to not make a decision and kicked it to Council... lots of developers have some close friends on this Council. Sadly, probably going to get the zoning change and P&Z can claim it wasn't their decision.
Like City Council Member Place 5?
SoTheySay
S
we must know each other.
Scruffy
AG
quote:
Navasota Ladies' Tresses

I thought this was a euphemism until I read down a little more.
RafterAg223
AG
I watched the meeting last night. None of you gave a legitimate argument as to why this deal should not be developed as multifamily. The flooding excuse was comical, given the fact that the area being developed does not lie in the flood plain. Never mind the fact that the project will deposit storm water in to a detention facility built to detain for thousands of acres. The traffic issue isn't a valid one, as the property as currently zoned could have over 7 acres of general commercial use constructed on it. Uses within that zoning would generate far more vehicle trips than 300 apartment homes. It was stated by staff a number of times that there will be no development within the conservation easement in place.

All of you would be better off if you would show up to the meeting and express the real reasons why you don't want this project in your "back yard". You don't want what you believe will be second class citizens living near you. Quit hiding behind ghost issues like traffic and life safety to carry out your NIMBY agendas. Come forward and own your position. I travel the same streets every morning and it's odd that I don't see the Manhattan type traffic problems that many of you insist exist. To those of you that claimed you take your life in to your hands getting on State Highway 6 every morning.....Shame on you. That's garbage and complete sensationalism.
cslifer
Well said sir!!
FlyRod
quote:
Yeah wide open spaces make people speed up. Human nature. Cops love spots with artificially low speeds. Don't know what to tell ya, this is a fact of life, something drivers need to be aware of.

Here are a few other "facts of life." Despite the indignant whining that often occurs here about "speed traps," speed limits are generally posted, and drivers are obligated to learn them. Go with "human nature," and you will end up with a nice expensive ticket, courtesy of the LEO just doing their job. These facts seem to upset a few people. The rest of us live with them quite nicely.
MisterShipWreck
Sorry - I disagree. I see where they draw the flood plain - but the fact is that there is a large section that is ALWAYS under water - and it drains out into the sewer almost all the time. It's obvious that this area is where water accumulates. Whether it's marked as a flood plain" or not - the water flows there first.

And, I actually live on a street where we already have a lot of cut thru traffic. Saying you drive down there is not the same thing. I live there and walk it daily.

Disagree all you want - it will not change our opinions of the people affected.I will not change my position. And, I didn't make this thread to argue on it all day.

Once again - this thread was done to bring knowledge of what is going on to all the people in the neighborhoods affected by this zoning change. All the people I spoke with did not know initially.

As for the conservation area - they whole area was once marked for conservation. They keep pushing it back and pushing it back. When I bought my house, none of this was supposed to be able to be developed. The neighborhood behind me and the newer 1 story townhomes - none of that was ever to be there.
Rexter
Yea....that human nature thing. What about when human nature makes someone throw a brick through the windshield of the truck that is going down a residential street at 60+ mph? I mean, the driver should just accept it, right?

Chazz03
AG
quote:

As for the conservation area - they whole area was once marked for conservation. They keep pushing it back and pushing it back. When I bought my house, none of this was supposed to be able to be developed. The neighborhood behind me and the newer 1 story townhomes - none of that was ever to be there.

Can you site a Land Use Agreement stating this as fact or is this what a realtor told you to sell the house
Rexter
Yea....that human nature thing. What about when human nature makes someone throw a brick through the windshield of the truck that is going down a residential street at 60+ mph? I mean, the driver should just accept it, right?

RafterAg223
AG
And you don't believe that licensed civil engineer will account for current ponding on the site and fix it? I drive by the site every day and the area you speak of is nothing but a depression that would be properly filled during construction by any competent engineer. My point still stands that your arguments are without Merrit. I get it, you don't want it there. Quit giving baseless excuses.
Ornlu
AG
Thank you for expressing exactly what I was thinking. Not only are you right, your description is much clearer than I could have made my own.
PS3D
Before Staff and came in and nuked my entire post for being abrasive, I still think my point stands. I'm not going to retype my entire post, but Southern Plantation's 30 mph speed limit is too slow for what it is and should be bumped up to 35 mph officially if and when they extend it to Victoria, which would (should) include adding bike lanes and turn lanes (that should, along with being near a school zone, should tame any fears about speed). Trying to justify why SP needs to be 30 mph or even slower because of those 5 driveways is ridiculous.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.