Rezoning at Decatur & Arrington - Apartments near Shenandoah!

22,781 Views | 128 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by InMyOpinion
GiveEmHellBill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sunday night I saw a notice taped (with a helluva lot of tape) to our mailbox.

The next morning................crudely ripped off with pieces still hanging off the box.
JR Ewing
AG
quote:
Maybe he is a retired postman and was removing items from government property, since the notices were on the mailboxes.......
Maybe he just loathes signs...
MisterShipWreck
Well, we started putting them on fences instead - but there seems to be some other neighbors putting them on the mailboxes.

Anyway - they all are coming down. And, a yard sign was stolen as well. This is ridiculous.
Ornlu
AG
So how'd this turn out? Anyone care to tell their side of the story?
RafterAg223
AG
It was approved 5-2 as it should have been. The developer was proposing a use that conformed with the comprehensive land use plan.
OlderAggie
AG
All I can say is where is the neighborhood integrity?

BigBubba
AG
quote:
All I can say is where is the neighborhood integrity?
what does that mean?
Allonym
The STUNNING part of this vote was the unbelievably RUDE behavior of council members towards the citizens who showed up.

After his 2013 win, Aldrich said the following and was quoted in the paper:
"Aldrich said, he wants to see the city continue to grow without diminishing the quality of life for residents"

This arrogant, condescending pontificating ***** lectured citizens about not just coming to council meetings when there was something on the agenda that was of interest to them.

So much for not diminishing the quality of life for residents. Lying sack of ****.

Regardless of the "Comprehensive plan" This was up for vote, If it was "part of the plan" why did it need to be voted on? To get input and cast a vote as representatives of the citizens.

Citizens came and spoke. Not one single citizen (other than the developer or directly interested parties) came and spoke IN FAVOR of the project.

Benham actually said he recalls being broke and married and renting, not being able to afford a house and he sure wished there was something like this around back then. What a ****ing moron... these are $3000 a month apts. Way more than most mortgages. Genius, quality argument for why you voted yes.

This was predetermined down the line and citizens were spoken to harshly and condescended to to try to shove it down our throats.

Lastly, Schultz actually said that staff recommended this and we pay these professionals for their opinion. Who was she to go against staff? Really? Who are you? Apparently you are a clueless ***** who doesn't know that staff isn't the deciding body. She is on it and she does so as a representative of the citizens.
RafterAg223
AG
Ask council member Brick what it means. It certainly doesn't apply here, given that the subject tract wasn't a part of any neighborhood, rather a part of the Tower Point Subdivision, a commercial development. The council did the correct thing in going along with an ordinance that took a lot of time and money to put in place, and an ordinance that allowed for the proposed use.There should be no room on the council for politically charged votes. Watching on TV last night, the residents really didn't help themselves much with their blatant and overt disrespect for those who took the podium with a different point of view than theirs. One council member said it best. Those residents claimed they weren't against apartments, just apartments near them.
RafterAg223
AG
Explain to me exactly how this is going to diminish your quality of life. I'd like to know. I live in this immediate area in a home that wasn't exactly inexpensive. I'm not sure I'm following or feeling your logic here.
BCStalk
At least it was established that no by the room rental is allowed. I just can't picture this as a bad thing. I am also not associated with this part of town so I might not understand the true feelings about this move. What is the real reason that this is unwanted? Surely it isn't just about the traffic. I guess I never see development as a bad move so care to enlighten us?
NellCote71
quote:
Explain to me exactly how this is going to diminish your quality of life. I'd like to know. I live in this immediate area in a home that wasn't exactly inexpensive. I'm not sure I'm following or feeling your logic here.
It will diminish my life by not being close to nature.

It will diminish my life by not being able to hear owls hoot, see rabbits hop and, yes, occasionally cross a snake or two.

I saw a Jaguarandi bound out of that thicket a couple of weeks ago at dusk. Rather than fear, I marveled at its athletic grace.

I do not see apartment complexes going up in Pebble Creek or even the massive Castlegate I, II and III iterations. I do see pillaging of vegetation, wetlands and wildlife areas. I see a city council and planning and zoning committee more interested in short-term profits withou considering long-term quality of life.
Justin2010
AG
You live in a growing city. In an area that wasn't developed at all 15-20 years ago. What did you think would happen?

Move out of town if you want to hear owls hoot?
oklaunion
"I saw a Jaguarandi bound out of that thicket a couple of weeks ago at dusk."

There aren't any jaguarandis within hundreds of miles of here. Probably your neighbor's cat bounding and you might get more sympathy if you don't exaggerate as much.
MisterShipWreck
quote:
KThe STUNNING part of this vote was the unbelievably RUDE behavior of council members towards the citizens who showed up.

"Aldrich said, he wants to see the city continue to grow without diminishing the quality of life for residents"

This arrogant, condescending pontificating ***** lectured citizens about not just coming to council meetings when there was something on the agenda that was of interest to them.

So much for not diminishing the quality of life for residents. Lying sack of ****.

Regardless of the "Comprehensive plan" This was up for vote, If it was "part of the plan" why did it need to be voted on? To get input and cast a vote as representatives of the citizens.

Citizens came and spoke. Not one single citizen (other than the developer or directly interested parties) came and spoke IN FAVOR of the project.

Benham actually said he recalls being broke and married and renting, not being able to afford a house and he sure wished there was something like this around back then. What a ****ing moron... these are $3000 a month apts. Way more than most mortgages. Genius, quality argument for why you voted yes.

This was predetermined down the line and citizens were spoken to harshly and condescended to to try to shove it down our throats.

Lastly, Schultz actually said that staff recommended this and we pay these professionals for their opinion. Who was she to go against staff? Really? Who are you? Apparently you are a clueless ***** who doesn't know that staff isn't the deciding body. She is on it and she does so as a representative of the citizens.

I personally agree with most of this assessment. And, I will say that by the developer getting this pushed back two weeks until AFTER the election, I knew we were going to lose, (unfortunately). We also were going to have many more people to speak at the meeting before it got pushed back. When I went door to door for that petition, I had told everyone the first date (before the reschedule).

After the reschedule, I had several people tell me they assumed we were going to lose because it was after the election, so they chose not to go.

We even had to deal with someone stealing our signs about the reschedule date for quite some time... Going as far as taking a sign from someone's yard and from people's fences, until the guy was arrested.
SoTheySay
S
How high will/can these apartments be?
REComBKR85

If you want to see animals and wildlife, make the investment to buy the land yourself and do what you want with it. It's probably a safe bet that the owner of the tract does not feel the best return on investment is a nature preserve that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. Give me a break, is that a real argument?

Its not like this is some wetlands or nature preserve here that the city is taking out of protection to build "evil" apartments. This is a tract that is part of the towerpoint subdivision, that has been slated for development for years. I listened to the council meeting as well. It seems a repeated argument is that apartments are going to hurt property values. Can anyone provide one specific example in which the construction of new class A apartments hurt surrounding property values? Generally, wouldn't that increase surrounding property values?
RafterAg223
AG
As one poster already said, there are no jaguarundis in this area, or really even close for that matter. Bobcats and feral cats aren't protected animals. These animals also have acres and acres of unfettered conservation easement stretching all the way past Castle Rock. It sounds as though you would be a whole lot more at peace if you made the decision to move to Montana or Alaska.

Furthermore, what did the land once look like where your home now sits? What happened to the animals displaced by that developer?
cslifer
Someone should probably call TPW and the news! Jaguarundis haven't been confirmed in Texas outside of two extreme southern counties in 30 yrs!! Maybe we can track this one back to the cave it shares with a unicorn and the ever popular black panther.
OlderAggie
AG
Keep College Station growing. Build more homes, townhouses, condominiums and apartments. The word is out, College Station is a great place to live. Come one, come all. Let us see where this growth takes us. Happy to live in the U.S., Texas, and College Station.
MisterShipWreck
I realize something will eventually be built there, but I do not want three story apartments there. Given that these are elected officials, and 700 people signed petitions against this... And that about 50 people showed up to speak against it. With not one single person was there to speak in favor of this.. They really should have listened better IMHO.
RafterAg223
AG
Then go vote them out on Election Day. And when we get an all academic council that is anti development of any sort, people can come here and complain about not getting the amenities and services that they feel they deserve. Like it or not, council followed the land use plan. I'd prefer the land use plan not be ignored anymore, so that we don't find the city in multi million dollar law suits like with Weingarten.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
The STUNNING part of this vote was the unbelievably RUDE behavior of council members towards the citizens who showed up.

The council has spoken. This is representative democracy at work. If you don't like it, seek to change things in the next election.
Carnwellag2
quote:
quote:
It will diminish my life by not being close to nature.

It will diminish my life by not being able to hear owls hoot, see rabbits hop and, yes, occasionally cross a snake or two.

I saw a Jaguarandi bound out of that thicket a couple of weeks ago at dusk. Rather than fear, I marveled at its athletic grace.

I do not see apartment complexes going up in Pebble Creek or even the massive Castlegate I, II and III iterations. I do see pillaging of vegetation, wetlands and wildlife areas. I see a city council and planning and zoning committee more interested in short-term profits withou considering long-term quality of life.
Sounds like you are against any development of this vegetation area.

Me thinks you should have bought it
InMyOpinion
- there is a need for high end non student property in college station and COCS knows this so it was gonna happen somewhere.

- The property was gonna be developed at some point. You look at any city and where you see a major development like tower point you will see apts.

- Only a small percentage of the new apt residents will think driving through the subdivision is "quicker" route. most will hit 47 or hwy 6

- if it was developed as commercial then traffic would be much worse because a higher number of residents from subdivisions north will use Decatur to go to these businesses.

- It most cases high end apartments don't translate into lower property value for surrounding property.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.