Rezoning at Decatur & Arrington - Apartments near Shenandoah!

22,783 Views | 128 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by InMyOpinion
MisterShipWreck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
EDIT - 2-4-16:

Well, it wasn't a city council meeting - but a P&Z meeting instead.

And, the people on that committee had their mind made up already before the meeting started - It was obvious. And, I'm not just saying that because I didn't get my way and they approved the apartments. It was VERY obvious.

About 14 or 15 people showed up to offer legitimate complaints and many, many reasons why this is a bad idea.

Anyway - it goes in front of the city council on 2-25.That's the final chance to stop this.

I'm not going to argue with anyone on this thread about why I oppose it. I do, and will never change that opinion. However. I would urge anyone opposed to go to the city council meeting on 2-25-16. This thread is just to make people aware that this is going on.

--------------------------

Original post:

I've just been told that there is a public hearing on Feb 4 (Thur) at 6pm at the City Council Chambers.

There is a push to rezone Decatur and Arrington for Apartments. Apparently from the corner back to almost the Mini Storage building.

This is a HORRIBLE plan. Decatur already had too many people flying down the road at 40-50 MPH. Traffic will be much worse for anyone in Shenandoah - as people in the apartments will likely trek from Barron and back.

I have no idea exactly what kind of apartments these will be - but if anyone in this area opposes this - I'd suggest you make it to Thursday's meeting!

I don't think the council members would allow this if it was by THEIR neighborhood.

Also, from what I just saw, the city is recommending to the council that this be allowed

BigBubba
AG
I am not sure I understand your objection. This land is right near Townhomes and a commercial area. It would not back up to any residential homes. It has easy access to Highway 6 and WD Fitch. This seems like a very logical place for an apartment complex. Why do you think it would increase traffic on Decatur? You think people living in these apartments would chose Decatur over WDF or 6 to get to campus or other locations?
MisterShipWreck
I think yes, you will have many people going up Decatur to get to Baron Road. I personally know many people why try to avoid the highway as much as possible.

Also, I honestly think this will negatively effect property values. I live as close to this as you can in Shanandoah. Sorry, but I don't want a bunch of apartments right by my home. If I ever wanted to sell my residence, I also think this will make it more difficult to do so.

This is on top of the traffic issues.

I walk the area daily - i really think this will be a problem.

BigBubba
AG
I actually think College Station needs some apartments aimed at business professionals. When new hires at my company ask I always recommend the apartments in Park Hudson because I don't know of any nice apartments in College Station currently that are not aimed a college students.
BigBubba
AG
quote:
I think yes, you will have many people going up Decatur to get to Baron Road.

From all the complaints on this board about traffic on Baron, I imagine WDF and 6 are going to be much better options.

quote:
Also, I honestly think this will negatively effect property values. I live as close to this as you can in Shanandoah. Sorry, but I don't want a bunch of apartments right by my home. If I ever wanted to sell my residence, I also think this will make it more difficult to do so.

Properties in the Shenandoah price range last about a day on the market lately so I don't think that is a fair concern either. One of my employees recently sold a house in the area. She had 4 offers in a couple days, 3 were above her asking price.

I think the city generally looks at two things when debating this. 1) Does it fit within the Comprehensive Plan for the use of this property and 2) does it meet a need within the city. I believe the answer to both of these questions is "yes" therefore I think it is highly likely this would get approved.

Here is my suggestion. Go to the meeting and voice your concerns about property values (I would skip the traffic complaint). Tell them you are worried about what it will do to property values in 10-20 years. Point out several of the apartment complexes in town that are run down (Briarwood on Harvey) and ask council "what can you do to ensure this new apartment complex does not end up looking like Briarwood in 20 years". Instead of trying to get them to vote against the project, see if they will put restrictions on the property to ensure the quality stays consist with the quality of homes in south College Station.

I think this approach is a lot more likely to succeed than trying to get them to vote no on the project.

Good luck!

bcsbell
I see higher end of apartments are needed, but the city needs to have a good plan for it. This new apartment will be next to the oil operation, is definitely not going to be high-end. It is only going to bring down the property value.

The city needs healthy and sustainable plans, not just dumping apartments into family structure neighborhoods when one developer walks in with a plan. Eventually people will move away from those neighborhoods.
OneGood2011Ag
AG
Why would anyone have purchased a home near to a large swath of undeveloped land at the corner of two highways, anchored by a major retail development, and not have thought there was at least the possibility of multifamily or retail development right up against the edge of their neighborhood? Land should be put to the highest and best use, and that can and probably should include higher-density dwellings at a location with dual highway access.
Frio Cielo
quote:
Why would anyone have purchased a home near to a large swath of undeveloped land at the corner of two highways, anchored by a major retail development, and not have thought there was at least the possibility of multifamily or retail development right up against the edge of their neighborhood? Land should be put to the highest and best use, and that can and probably should include higher-density dwellings at a location with dual highway access.
No dog in this hunt, but many of the homes off of Decatur were built way before Fitch was built and the Towerpoint corner was cow pastures.

If I lived off of Decatur and needed to go to A&M, especially parking on the West campus, I would go to Barron and either go down Welsh towards campus or over to Wellborn road and go to campus. I would not go down Hwy 6 to campus. Two roads I avoid like the plague if I can during the day is Texas Avenue and University Drive.

MisterShipWreck
The other apartment complex being complained about is apparently about 10 acres, and the projected traffic is 400 cars.

This one is supposed to be 17 acres. The street is a small single lane street in each direction. This will likely bring double that in traffic. I disagree that traffic will not be a problem.

And yes, none of this was even there when I bought my house.
Chazz03
AG
Classic "I bought my house next to vacant land and never thought that owner would develop it" complaints.

You bought a 6000 sq ft piece of land on what was the edge of town. Yea nothing will develop on that next property.
PS3D
Decatur has always been and always will be a minor thoroughfare after the city let Southern Plantation develop what was supposed to be the Longmire Road right of way (maybe they just were never able to secure that part), because if you look on a map, you can see the Arrington Road right of way lines up to it. Perhaps they should, to prevent the "speeding down Decatur" problem is for the city to install a left hand turn lane and bike lanes, much like what Welsh or Victoria is like.
FlyRod
People here love to "get away from it all," but "all" will always find you!
MisterShipWreck
quote:
Classic "I bought my house next to vacant land and never thought that owner would develop it" complaints.

You bought a 6000 sq ft piece of land on what was the edge of town. Yea nothing will develop on that next property.

Actually, when I bought the house, that nature preserve area stretched to the edge of the neighborhood. There was supposed to be NO development in that section. But the property owner did a land trade with undeveloped property somewhere else. Then, they started building those hardiplank houses and more of the town homes back there. So, when I bought the house, there was never supposed to be anything built there.

And it is already hard enough to pull out onto Barron in the morning from Decatur and Alexandria. How much worse will it be to have an extra 600+ cars in the area? Please!

And, the ones complaining about this thread - it's likely you don't even live in this neighborhood. So, it's easy just to make those comments. I've talked to a few neighbors - they all are very mad about this now.
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
People here love to "get away from it all," but "all" will always find you!
And people here love to tell other people what they can do with their property.
CS78
quote:

That really is a weak argument. Like it or not we live in a community and actions should be taken to do what is best for the community both short and long term. I own properties all over B/CS. Suppose you won't mind when I buy the place next to yours and open an adult video arcade or "The Other Silk Stocking". No problem at all since I own it right? Just tell your kids not to look out their window.
Scruffy
AG
quote:
quote:

That really is a weak argument. Like it or not we live in a community and actions should be taken to do what is best for the community both short and long term. I own properties all over B/CS. Suppose you won't mind when I buy the place next to yours and open an adult video arcade or "The Other Silk Stocking". No problem at all since I own it right? Just tell your kids not to look out their window.

Id be ok with that.
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
Suppose you won't mind when I buy the place next to yours and open an adult video arcade or "The Other Silk Stocking". No problem at all since I own it right? Just tell your kids not to look out their window.
That's what zoning laws are for ... and as long as developers go through the correct process with the city you shouldn't complain.
BigBubba
AG
Shipwreck, If I were on City Council, I would 100% approve this project. That location is ideal for an apartment complex. If your primary goal is to stop this project then I think you will lose. I am not trying to be rude, just trying to be realistic and telling you this as somebody that does not live in that immediate area and therefore is not emotionally swayed by this.

If traffic is your primary complaint (not property values) then ask council what they can do to improve traffic on Barron BEFORE they approve this project. Maybe you can get them to delay the project. For example, extending Southern Plantation to Victoria is something that is already planned. If council would go ahead and complete this project it would give a lot of people an alternate route to WDF. Instead of having to turn left from Newport, Alexandria or Decatur to get onto Barron and then connect to WDF, they could just drive down Southern Plantation to Victoria to WDF. Of course, another option would be more lights along Barron but that will just stir up another crowd of people complaining about lights.

Just trying to help. Good luck.
CS78
quote:
That's what zoning laws are for ... and as long as developers go through the correct process with the city you shouldn't complain.

I would go through the correct processes of course. And as part of that process you would have the chance to voice your concerns, just as MrShipwreck will do. But of course you wouldn't...since I own it.
CM1999
We live off Decatur and Alexandria and no one on my street wants an apartment complex down the road. There are already too many cars that drive way to fast down those streets and this will make it much much worse.
cslifer
The feeling I am getting from a lot of posters is that I, as the hypothetical property owner, shouldn't be able to use my property as I see fit because you don't like what I am doing. My question to you is this. Did you buy your house truly believing that the land near you would remain undeveloped for your enjoyment and ease of commute? (I am sure I could fit "think of the children" in as well) this mindset seems pretty unrealistic.
MisterShipWreck
I stated already that the property was at 1 time said it could not be developed. And yea - I did buy a home in a neighborhood with other houses - not with apartments.
RafterAg223
AG
Just how many vehicle trips do you people think a 300 unit apartment complex generates a day? It really isn't that many, and the trips in and out are staggered. In fact, the proposed use generates fewer vehicle trips per day than if fully developed for office and commercial as currently zoned, thus not even triggering a traffic impact analysis. Just another example of NIMBY's hiding behind the whole "life safety" veil because they don't want "those people" living near them. That property is on the Comprehensive Land Plan as urban. It is there for developments and uses that are more intense than single family residential. The rents in this facility will likely be more per month than the mortgages most people are paying for their starter homes up and down Decatur.
MisterShipWreck
I have talked to many neighbors in the area. Not one of them are happy about this.

This thread is just to inform people who live in the area. Many of them will care.
Frio Cielo
quote:
quote:
Suppose you won't mind when I buy the place next to yours and open an adult video arcade or "The Other Silk Stocking". No problem at all since I own it right? Just tell your kids not to look out their window.

I don't think that the posters are objecting to the development of the land, but the rezoning from General Suburban with single family dwellings to high density multi-family housing.

To me, once a GS zoning designation is attached to a parcel on a major commercial street that has similar type of housing units built nearby, it should be rarely changed.

But as in most state/city governmental decisions, you can follow the money to see what the ultimate decision on the rezoning will be.

RafterAg223
AG
The current zoning is absolutely not general suburban/single family. It is General Commercial and Office on the tract in question. Both uses are considered far more intense uses than multifamily. Would it be better if an auto mechanic and convenience store with a drive through opened up on the corner there?
BigBubba
AG
Trying to be helpful, here is a link to the agenda for the meeting. Page 61 is where the information starts.
http://www.cstx.gov/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=22185

I noticed the following comment under review criteria item #6. It says "The property has frontage on Decatur Dr. & Arrington, both classified as Two-Lane Major Collectors on the Thoroughfare Plan. Since the proposed zoning resulted in fewer trips than the current zoning, a Traffic Impact Analysis (TIA) was not required at this time.A TIA will be required with the site plan application."

I guess this means the city staff reviewing this request feel a multi family unit will actually result in less traffic as compared to if the property were to be developed under the current Commercial/Office zoning. I think this also means it is highly likely they will approve the request at tomorrow's meeting and their response to your traffic concerns will be "a traffic impact analysis will be done before a site plan is approved".
Rexter
I don't think it's going to be a major issue, other than traffic on Decatur. Once Southern Plantation ties into Victoria, it's going to suck. SP is designated as a minor collector, so it has a 30mph speed limit. There weren't supposed to be any driveways on SP, but there are 5. With the street as wide as it is, people drive very fast. The HOA has had a couple of meetings with CoCS people about the issue. We can't have a stop sign at Decatur or Alexandria without a study indicating a 300 vehicle/hr avg through the intersections. A traffic study is required to change the speed limit to a lower mph..... BUT......if the avg speed is higher, the limit will be raised to the 85% point of the higher speed. We can't have speed bumps due to emergency services and school busses.

I'm at a loss as to what can be done to control the speed of traffic within the neighborhood. The city is absolutely useless in helping. Added traffic will just make it worse.
Chazz03
AG
Yea but more traffic than vacant land right...
Rexter
My sage advice is this:

If you really, really don't want development to occur on vacant land, you should buy the land. Then you control it.
InMyOpinion
quote:
I stated already that the property was at 1 time said it could not be developed. And yea - I did buy a home in a neighborhood with other houses - not with apartments.
Just curious what was the reason it could not be developed. Its been my experience that unless its in a flood plane it will be developed at some point.
PS3D
Frio Cielo
quote:
The current zoning is absolutely not general suburban/single family. It is General Commercial and Office on the tract in question. Both uses are considered far more intense uses than multifamily. Would it be better if an auto mechanic and convenience store with a drive through opened up on the corner there?
Your're correct, I was looking at the wrong corner on the city zoning map.
OneGood2011Ag
AG
I don't hang out that far south too often, so what is the traffic there currently like? Is it gridlocked at certain rush hours, or does it become impossible to make left turns at non-signalized intersections? Are collisions frequent? Are vehicles driving too fast and at risk of harming pedestrians and cyclists, or has the traffic caused speeds to slow down the traffic flow?

Or are people just complaining because they have to wait behind four cars at a stoplight and just want the roads to be their own private roads with zero other cars (or bikes)?
RafterAg223
AG
The traffic down here at certain intersections gets moderately congested for a total of about 1 hour per day. It's not bad at all.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.