Why Aren't More People Eating at Paolos?

9,550 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by dgonzo99
Tim Weaver
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
It's not that good. There is better Italian to be had. Plus, they don't have alfredo sauce, which is blasphemous to my husband.

/cheer
That's probably because Alfedo sauce isn't Italian. My full Italian Mother-In-Law has never made an alfredo sauce. Nor had she ever heard of it until moving to the States....

http://www.swide.com/food-travel/italian-food-recipes-that-are-not-from-italy-at-all/2013/09/06
halibut sinclair
Oh snap.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Alfredo Sauce was an Olive Garden creation I've heard people say. Sophisticated Italians dont eat it.

momlaw
AG
And Alfredo is on their menu.
Paolo's Italian Kitchen Menu
Lance Uppercut
AG
Been twice, it was very good both times. Good desserts too.

Part is the location and part is the crowd. I love Madden's, but I only go there every "once in awhile", just like Paolo's. Meanwhile, you can see people waiting outside of Cheddar's 5 nights out of every week.
carpe vinum
AG
Been meaning to go for months, talk about going, just haven't made it.
I hope they make it long enough in 'the hole' for us to try it.
tamufan
Location, location, location.

We like the food, the sea bass is quite good, the bruschetta is interesting with the touch of balsamic vinegar, the wine list is also interesting, the deserts are good. My wife likes the lasagna and some of the pastas. We are wine drinkers but I can see the issue with the lack of a full bar. In fact we once left because the couple we were with insisted on mixed drinks at dinner.

I hope they make it. I like a variety of restaurants, and I like this restaurant. We go there about once a month.

That said, there is a lot of competition, and I am not optimistic.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
I never, ever, think of going there.
Time for a News Star 3 Speakout Poll
mgreen
Three restaurants make the same mistake of no full bar. Paolo's, Madden's and LaRiviera. We like to go out with friends and that is three that are off the list becuase of no bar. Yes you can actually bring alcohol into Paolos but I do do not want to. Not a wine drinker. Sorry. Wish all three would change becusee I love their food.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
at least La Riviera has smaller space.

Paolos I think can thrive if they move to another SMALLER location. i gota think the rent is killing them there and they are already likely sinking financially based on their low visitation from patrons.

i like the food, so i want them to stay in business. don't want them out of business just because they made a poor decision on what building to use when they first got started.
OnlyANobody
Varied from my usual habits today just for y'all and tried the lasagna..,. and it was excellent.
OnlyANobody
They weren't always open for lunch. A friend and I had tried to go there some time before my Tuesday group started meeting there and they did not have lunch hours then. It is a newer development - since around the beginning of the year.
lost my dog
I like the fact that Paolo's, Maddens and La Riviera don't have full bars, because that means I can bring my own wine. I've never liked drinking hard liquor with food - not saying it's wrong, it's just not me.

As others have pointed out, I think Paolo's is hurt by its location. And by the fact that the majority of people in this town have "interesting" taste in restaurants (hence Cheddar's is always busy.)
KidDoc
AG
Only went once for a dinner meeting. Had the chicken parm and it was ok but a bit too sweet for my tastes.

I prefer the Italian place off Rock Prairie, name is slipping my mind this morning need more coffee.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JR Ewing
AG
Out of sight, out of mind...
malibu9in1
Put a pappasitos in that spot. There would be lines all the time.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Agree to an extent. There are SOME restaurants/franchises that would work here. I dont believe in cursed locations especially along such high traffic ways. However in my own personal opinion I think its a shame this restaurant is likely to fail because of its location and it being too big and the owners might think its a reflection on the food which to me its not. I enjoy the food there.
StringerBell
AG
good but not as good as amico nave
thefarcus
I went once after they just opened, and honestly I was left with a 'meh. Price didn't justify the simple flavor. Also my service was terrible. Bear in mind both of these things are subjective, but coupled with the location, I was left with no desire to return. Good luck to them though!
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Tariny
Only because you asked - just keep that in mind.

I was soooo excited about Paolo's opening because I LOVE Veritas, even put off going until my birthday so it would be extra special. Unfortunately the food was meh, the atmosphere was meh, and the service was awful. The only thing that we did enjoy was the Eggplant Rollatini, which was exquisite.

Since they now serve lunch, I may give it another shot, though it's probably going to take a lot of convincing to get my husband to go back there since he liked it even less than I did.
Yuccadoo
I am on, basically, a no carb diet. I haven't been to any Italian restaurants in town since starting it because I lack the discipline of not throwing myself face first into a plate of pasta once seated. And bread.

I love Chef Tai, his family, and all the things he does in this community. Veritas is our go to place for lunches and dinners much of the time. I know he is making great efforts to make Paolo's restaurant work, and I wish for him the very best in this pursuit.

That is all.

AggiePirate
AG
quote:
I liked sodolaks but haven't been there since it closed.

This. That is the same reason that I have also not been back to Sodolaks.
Cru
S
quote:
And Alfredo is on their menu.
Paolo's Italian Kitchen Menu
yea, that's what Cru got. it's not alfredo. he didn't like it.
PS3D
T-Bone Jones probably lasted longer in that spot post-rebuild than anything else there, and the reason why most of the other restaurants failed, it's because they sucked. Sodolak's, Rooster's, others I can't remember...they weren't very good.

Now, whether or not Rooster's went down because of the "Greg D. curse" is up for debate, but if you notice the Yelp! reviews, only the 4 and 5 stars reviews are from the first two months or so, the reviews plummeted by March or so, which suggests the food quality began to deteriorate.

Arguably, I'd say that Amico Nave isn't in the best location either, the building hadn't been a restaurant in years and has some of the worst lighting I've seen for a commercial space, but in summer 2013, when I drove by after work, it was consistently packed on a summer weeknight, and say what you want about Feed Barn, but it's completely hidden from major corridors, and has been a popular spot for years.

But you know what? I don't think it's the large size, the prices, the lack of a full bar, the food, the location, or any other singular factor of why it's not that popular:

Paolo's is confused on what it wants to be. Is it supposed to be a nice Italian restaurant for dates and company outings, or a family Italian restaurant that would be a better alternative than Carino's or Olive Garden? A kid's play area and steep prices do not work well together, and if it wants to succeed, it's gonna pick one or the other. They need to either quit pretending to be upscale and drop the prices to competitive levels, or scrap the kid's play area and be a good Italian restaurant. You can add a full bar and try to add event rooms to try to cut down on space, but until it makes up its mind on what it wants to be, it will never achieve greatness.
dubi
AG
quote:
quote:

So out of sight and out of mind I didn't even know it existed.
tamufan
What PS3D said!
halibut sinclair
quote:

I liked sodolaks but haven't been there since it closed.
I think Yogi Berra said the same thing.
justalocal
Kids play area? Tell me more!

i figured it was upscale but to be truthful, we don't eat a lot of pasta and what Italian we do eat I can cook. Plus we tend to go places where our children will eat and our oldest does not eat pasta.
PS3D
quote:
Alfredo Sauce was an Olive Garden creation I've heard people say. Sophisticated Italians dont eat it.

Not sure of that, but real alfredo consists of just butter and cheese. No eggs, thickeners, flavorings, or milk. It (as in real fettuccine alfredo) does exist in "real Italian restaurants" just not under that name.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Yes to kids play area but its weird in that the kids menu is not that great.
marrocco
quote:
quote:

Not sure of that, but real alfredo consists of just butter and cheese. No eggs, thickeners, flavorings, or milk. It (as in real fettuccine alfredo) does exist in "real Italian restaurants" just not under that name.

There's some google-able story out there about how the pasta al burro recipe was transmogrified into Alfredo Sauce long before there was an Olive Garden. Apparently there are tourist trap restaurants all over Rome purporting to serve the original Alfredo sauce, although my father never set foot in one when he grew up there. He just ate the basic pasta, butter, and Parmesan style that is a comfort food to Italians. (Of course, my mom would make it with pasta, butter, and the Kraft powdered pseudo-Parmesan from the green shaker bottle, but that's another story.)
mgreen
Went for lunch and was very happy. My only suggestion for lunch would be a soup and sandwich combo. The soup at lunch is $6 but it is a bowl. A cup would be fine at lunch.
cfs12
The location, next to the largest hotel and on the most prominent drive in town is not a problem. It is a great location. Visibility could be considered an issue but this was largely corrected with Paulo's prominent signage. Everyone complaining about it seems to know exactly where it is.

I especially like the person who wouldn't go to that location of Sodalaks, but would go to the HW 21 location instead, because I guess they consider that to be better located. Hmm.
SoTheySay
S
That butter though!
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.