Why Aren't More People Eating at Paolos?

9,494 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by dgonzo99
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just ate there for 2nd time. Very pleased with food and service both times. That said..both times restaurant has been empty. Today I at at 120 and last time I ate at 615 so maybe those are not peak hours but it still shouldn't be empty.

Thoughts?
AgSportsFan2007
AG
Tried it when they first opened. Nearly everything we ordered was overpowered by uncooked onions. Would go again, but don't go out to eat Italian much as it's pretty easy to make at home.
AggiePirate
AG
Also I would think location has something to do with it.
PS3D
It's a physically big restaurant, which is one of its handicaps.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Huge from outside but seems smaller inside.
redd38
AG
Greg D said it was good, so I just assume it's not.

But seriously, I don't go there cause I already have my Italian needs covered by Caf Capri.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Our family ate there a few months ago and were not impressed. Everything tasted burnt. I don't think they had any kid meals so our kids split the spaghetti which is pretty hard to screw up but somehow they managed.

We didn't have a bad experience per se, but we have no plans to go back and to be honest, I hadn't even thought of that place since we ate there.
DFWag84
Competition is intense around here.
marrocco
Nobody knows it is there. It's in the Ditch of Restaurant Death.

(Although I liked it when I went.)
Aggie
AG
So many factors go into if a restaurant thieves or struggles.
There are many terrible restaurants in BCS that are always packed and many that are good that are usually ghost towns.
It's hard to say
PhiAggie
AG
You mean tbone Jones?
BCStalk
To much garlic for my taste
txgardengirl
I have really enjoyed it for several business lunches and maybe we will try a dinner soon - normally we avoid the waits/lines at restaurant row at night
Max06
AG
I never, ever, think of going there.
AggieBarstool
quote:
I never, ever, think of going there.
Me +1.

That, and the ONLY time I've been, I paid too much for food I feel I could have gotten elsewhere for the same price.

Darth Football
Ate there once and really liked the food. For some reason though, it was probably weeks and weeks before we even thought of the restaurant again. I don't know why. Its hard to pin point.

I'm guessing location plays a role in that its not something you can easily see from road.

It definitely should have gone into a smaller but better located space. They need 2500 square feet at most not the monstrosity they have now.
AgsWin2011
AG
I'd be willing to try it but currently if I want Italian, I'm going to Amico Nave.
Carnwellag2
Food doesn't taste very good.

91_Aggie
AG
I always forget there is restaurant in that location, and never know if it what ever is there is open when I do drive by and happen to glance that way.

Horrible location.
birdman
It's fantastic, don't know why folks aren't eating there.
PrincessButtercup
AG
quote:
I always forget there is restaurant in that location, and never know if it what ever is there is open when I do drive by and happen to glance that way.

Horrible location.

This. That location is cursed. I liked sodolaks but haven't been there since it closed.
DFWag84
Consider I love Sodaleks and never went to one on University, what's that tell ya?
Stucco
If it was a couple bucks cheaper or a little better food I'd go back, but as is, I prefer Amico.
BCStalk
I'd have to agree. Amico is way better quality and the staff is probably a large reason we go back. Paolos is not terrible by any means, but I think they season to much and charge way to much for what you get. We still try to switch it up every so often but the price definitely keeps it off our regular list.
OnlyANobody
I adore Amico. It's my favorite local haunt. But I have lunch at Paolo's every Tuesday, and I have to tell you, I've had some good stuff. I love their version of Toscana Soup with the Paolo's or House Salad. Also, the Eggplant Rollatini has been great every time I've had it.
Bucketrunner
We love their lasagna, but the rest of the main dishes are pretty average. Their salads are excellent, though. Interesting wine list.
momlaw
AG
I genuinely like Tai and Christina. This thread prompted me to make lunch plans there for this week. We have always enjoyed our meals there and want them to be successful in this venture.
mgreen
Did not even know they were open for lunch. I will go this week. No bar is a downer for me but I love the food and service.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
The bread and flavored butter are good.
duffelpud
AG
That spot would be perfect for a Twin Peaks franchise.
cubbies25
AG
Maybe a little too soon Duffle...
FlyRod
It's BCS. Golden Corrall is practically right across the street so why would people go to Paolo's?
FlyRod
To address the OP's question: for me it's the absence of a full bar coupled with the ultra sterile atmosphere. The food is quite good IMO and it's nice to have one Italian alternative in BCS to the usual massive plates of carbs in cream sauce. Prices are reasonable. But it's not a place I see myself eating at more than once in awhile. The childrens' play area is just off-putting.
Tradishun
FlyRod and mgreen touch on something that, for me, matters: no full bar.

I was hoping that Paolo's would be one of those places where people could go to have a cocktail, maybe two, and grab an appetizer or a salad. (Lord knows they have the space for it.) You know, a place to go at 5:00 with a colleague for a drink and a bite. But they have no liquor license -- just beer and wine. The absence of a liquor license means that I also wouldn't go there for a late-night drink (or two). Not only is The Republic the best place for such things, frankly I'd prefer to go to Luigi's than to Paolo's for a pre-dinner drink or a post-dinner drink.

I do like the food at Paolo's. I like it a good bit, actually.

The "kid" area is also a negative for me. Tai once said that he wanted Paolo's to be a family place where you could take your family instead of to Carino's. Well, I never, ever go to Carino's (with or without my family). So that wasn't a helpful starting point for me. Let the families with the loud kids -- and hey, when my kids were young, MY family was that family -- go to Carino's or Chili's or wherever; and let's reserve the nicer places (with somewhat steeper prices) for the adults: No "kids" area, full bar.

That's just my experience. I wish them all the best.
Cru
S
It's not that good. There is better Italian to be had. Plus, they don't have alfredo sauce, which is blasphemous to my husband.

/cheer
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.